PDA

View Full Version : Paint damage from bats

Jamesy3000
09-04-13, 01:32 PM
Looking for some advice on some paint damage I have just found on my NT pajero. It seems that at some point a bat has crapped down the side of my car on the passenger side and I haven't noticed :censored[1]:. I found it yesterday, most of it has washed off in the rain but it appears to have removed the clear coat and a small chip of paint with it. It is about 15mm wide at the top and runs down to a point about 40mm down where the clear coat is gone and the paint chip is only a couple of mm. Very noticable on my black paint though, the bloody thing isn't even 3 years old yet!
Can anyone tell me if something like this can be fixed easily or whether I'm more likely to be up for a whole door repaint or worse? I have no idea what this kind of work costs and there aren't a whole lot of body shops around my part of the world so I'm sure that'll increase the $$$, but I guess if it is a whole door repaint I might be able to get it done under my insurance. Otherwise I'll just pay for it to get done if it's not outragesly expensive. Just after some advice from anyone who has been down this path before or knows something about paint repair.
Kicking myself that I didn't notice it, I've really got to wash it more often.

Steve_H
09-04-13, 03:26 PM
I feel your pain, bat droppings are terrible....had some eat though the paint overnight on a black Subaru's bonnet once.
Do you have any 'touch up guys' service around your way? Get a quote off them first as they may be able to blend in and do a decent job quite cheaply, but the best result will probably be a door respray in my experience.

GHendo
09-04-13, 06:11 PM
You need the bloke I saw on TV a while ago. He mainly works on Lambos and the like - comes and washes them for you. The least expensive wash is something like $1,200 and his 'run-of-the-mill' wash and polish is around $5,000 - if I remember correctly. He has a emergency service for removing bird droppings - and dare say flying foxes as well.

Yes, their sh:censored[1]: does incredible things to car paint - I have left my cars out sometimes and the bloody things have made one hell of a mess. If you have a good covering of wax on the paint and wash the crap off as soon as you find it, you can usually polish out the blemish. Some cars seem to be effected more than others - I know the Pajero hasn't been troubled as much as the wife's Falcon.

You migh have to get the shotgun out :D or put your car under cover.

Geoff

bigchris.nk.pajero
09-04-13, 06:58 PM
Hi chris here im a professional for over 10yrs mainly in high-end paint
and panel shops. I now have my own mobile detailing business.
U could try and use a heavy cutting compound(3M i prob tje best)
And hav a go by hand,if that dont work if u hav the factory touch up
paint put a heavy touch up on the chip,let it fully harden then
get sum 1500-2000grit wet'n'dry sand paper and rub down the
affected area in smooth circles providing the bat scat acid hasn't
Made the paint crack. Then cut'n'polish again.
If no good stil a paint shop can paint this area only and blend/feathet
it to the rest . Should only cost no more $100-200.
Hope this helps .let us no how u go
cheers chris

Jamesy3000
09-04-13, 08:47 PM
I feel your pain, bat droppings are terrible....had some eat though the paint overnight on a black Subaru's bonnet once.
Do you have any 'touch up guys' service around your way? Get a quote off them first as they may be able to blend in and do a decent job quite cheaply, but the best result will probably be a door respray in my experience.

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of the touch up guys but I just did a yellowpages search and theres a mob in Toowoomba. Might hit them up and see what they reckon.

You need the bloke I saw on TV a while ago. He mainly works on Lambos and the like - comes and washes them for you. The least expensive wash is something like $1,200 and his 'run-of-the-mill' wash and polish is around $5,000 - if I remember correctly. He has a emergency service for removing bird droppings - and dare say flying foxes as well.Damn! That'd want to be the shiniest polish you've ever seen for $5k.... The bird crap would want to slide straight off like a stonedine frypan ad.

Hi chris here im a professional for over 10yrs mainly in high-end paint
and panel shops. I now have my own mobile detailing business.
U could try and use a heavy cutting compound(3M i prob tje best)
And hav a go by hand,if that dont work if u hav the factory touch up
paint put a heavy touch up on the chip,let it fully harden then
get sum 1500-2000grit wet'n'dry sand paper and rub down the
affected area in smooth circles providing the bat scat acid hasn't
Made the paint crack. Then cut'n'polish again.
If no good stil a paint shop can paint this area only and blend/feathet
it to the rest . Should only cost no more $100-200.
Hope this helps .let us no how u go
cheers chris Thanks for the reply Chris. For that sort of money I might get someone to do it for me, I was expecting a lot worse. I tried to wet and dry a bad touch up job on an old XR8 I used to own and I made a real mess of it. I'm a bit reluctant to give it another go, especially on the pajero. Paint and panel is definately not my forte' lol

bigchris.nk.pajero
09-04-13, 10:07 PM
Hi mate, i not long moved to vic from aroumd caboolture
there is a panel shop(cant remember the name sorry) down ner
bunnings on opisite side pretty sure its the street just after
that jacked to buggery yellow suzuki(i think its a suzi) from what
ive heard they do good work and prices
cheers chris

Jamesy3000
09-04-13, 11:11 PM
Hi mate, i not long moved to vic from aroumd caboolture
there is a panel shop(cant remember the name sorry) down ner
bunnings on opisite side pretty sure its the street just after
that jacked to buggery yellow suzuki(i think its a suzi) from what
ive heard they do good work and prices
cheers chris

Cheers for the PM Chris, I appreciate the help. I had a look on yellowpages and there is two panel shops on Morayfield Rd opposite Bunnings. There's Dave's smash repairs and K & M smash repairs. Both must be within 100m of each other. I don't suppose either of those is the one you've heard good things about?
Cheers james

bigchris.nk.pajero
09-04-13, 11:28 PM
Cheers for the PM Chris, I appreciate the help. I had a look on yellowpages and there is two panel shops on Morayfield Rd opposite Bunnings. There's Dave's smash repairs and K & M smash repairs. Both must be within 100m of each other. I don't suppose either of those is the one you've heard good things about?
Cheers james
Hi mate K&M. I thought it was letters just remembered a place
at kippa-ring/redcliffe they are called (honey i scrathed the car)
& also another mob called Bumpertech might b able to do
something. You could also have a look im the little orange
pocket book (phone book) i think they go out ur way.

bigchris.nk.pajero
09-04-13, 11:29 PM
Cheers james
Hi mate K&M. I thought it was letters just remembered a place
at kippa-ring/redcliffe they are called (honey i scrathed the car)
& also another mob called Bumpertech might b able to do
something. You could also have a look im the little orange
pocket book (phone book) i think they go out ur way.

Jamesy3000
07-05-13, 09:26 PM
Finally got a quote from Honey I Scratched The Car to fix my paint damage, thanks to bigchris.nk.pajero for the suggestion on that one. I found another bit of damage on the roof this weekend also from bats. I got quoted $350 to repaint the passenger door down to the bottom section and touch up the bit on the roof. I have booked it in for a couple of weeks time. Hopefully they can get it to look right and I don't end up with one door out of place. Will have to wait and see I guess. They're going to see if they can get their paintless dent removal guy to fix a couple of small dents on the bonnet too while its there, I think the guys who did my suspension pushed down on the bonnet and put the dents in it but of course I can't prove it. I put up a pic of the damage on the door (car has had a good wash since this was taken), nasty stuff that bat crap. Keen to get it looking good again.

Brissyguy
07-05-13, 10:30 PM
Finally got a quote from Honey I Scratched The Car to fix my paint damage, thanks to bigchris.nk.pajero for the suggestion on that one. I found another bit of damage on the roof this weekend also from bats. I got quoted $350 to repaint the passenger door down to the bottom section and touch up the bit on the roof. I have booked it in for a couple of weeks time. Hopefully they can get it to look right and I don't end up with one door out of place. Will have to wait and see I guess. They're going to see if they can get their paintless dent removal guy to fix a couple of small dents on the bonnet too while its there, I think the guys who did my suspension pushed down on the bonnet and put the dents in it but of course I can't prove it. I put up a pic of the damage on the door (car has had a good wash since this was taken), nasty stuff that bat crap. Keen to get it looking good again.

Let us know it goes. I got bat crap damage on the bonnet and dent too. Missus Mazda 3 was only 2 weeks old and got damage on door from bats. Stripped the clear coat

bigchris.nk.pajero
07-05-13, 11:09 PM
Hi mate glad i could actualy help someone out on this awsome furom for a change
that sounds like an ok price just make sure u take pics before hand of the door itself
and a full side shot to compare and pics of the belt mould(the black rubber and internal steel strip)
Just in case it gets damaged or painted .
Also bfore u leave check for overspray as its a prick to remove without the rite gear.
Should put up some b4 and after shots up here..
Cheers chris.

Jamesy3000
22-05-13, 08:06 PM
As requested here's the before pics....

Roof and front passenger door.

Jamesy3000
22-05-13, 08:19 PM
And here's the after repair pics....

The door looks really good, I can't tell that it's been repainted and it matches the other door and front guard. Lifetime warranty on the work too.

The paint on the roof was touched up only as they reckon it would need to be fully repainted otherwise at around $600 extra. You can still see it if you're looking for it but once I reweld the brackets on my roof basket and refit it, nobody will see it. They were very clear that there is no warranty on the roof touch up.

Ended up costing $385 as the quoted $350 did not include GST apparently... But I'm happy with it so all good. Only hassle I had was that they got me a quote for paintless dent removal for the bonnet and I agreed to have it done, but when I went to pick it up they said it hadn't been done as they were busy with something else. They said to bring it back wednesday or friday. I reminded them that I live and work 2.5hrs west of Brisbane and had made a special trip in the get the work done. They were appologetic as the dent removal is done by another contractor and they couldn't do anything for me. Doesn't matter I suppose, I'll get it done some other time and I'll spend the extra money to finally get me some bushskinz :D