PDA

View Full Version : Full Firewall

shaggy-89
20-03-13, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this post is in the right spot but i guess i'll find out.

My problem is that both holes in my firewall for putting cable from the cabin to the engine bay are both full ( have no room). On the passenger side I have my UHF antenna and power cable as-well as a 50amp cable running to the back for lighting of draws, fridge and awing LED plus the normal wiring looms. On the divers side it appears full with all the normal wiring loom plus a small cable for my red-arc LED.

So what can i do as i need to run cable for my spot lights?

Is it possilbe just to get a drill make a hole then silicone it up so id doesnt leak? Do i just drill a small hole? Or will i be luck and some one will say there is a third grommet between the others ?

I have a 2004 NP Exceed (guessed you might need to know)

Cheers

Shane

Pauly Faulkner
20-03-13, 09:20 AM
There probably is another spot, I'm guessing you'll see it after you drill though haha

Plenty of options. You can get bulk head fittings for single wire passthrough's or you can get a grommet and silicone it or you can buy blank grommets(plugs) that you pierce with a nail or similar and fit what wire you want through. Either way you'll need to rust seal the hole after drilling. Most people just use clear nail polish or rust kill.
Stop in at jaycar or dicksmiths and they'll show you a plethora of options ;)

Ian Sharpe
20-03-13, 10:40 AM
There probably is another spot, I'm guessing you'll see it after you drill though haha

Plenty of options. You can get bulk head fittings for single wire passthrough's or you can get a grommet and silicone it or you can buy blank grommets(plugs) that you pierce with a nail or similar and fit what wire you want through. Either way you'll need to rust seal the hole after drilling. Most people just use clear nail polish or rust kill.
Stop in at jaycar or dicksmiths and they'll show you a plethora of options ;)

I drilled a 1" hole in the firewall for all my stuff. Plenty big enough.

Get a grommett to fit . Also i used a hole saw, it was really an easy process. You just have to be careful you dont drill into any thing you dont want to like existing wires etc. The spot I chose was just to the left of where the steering column comes in. Drill a tiny pilot hole first. That way it can be filled with silicon if its in the wrong place. I drilled from the engine bay in, not cabin out.

BTW this is the NL I'm talking about.

Stevie-Ray
20-03-13, 12:34 PM
Marine-suppliers like Whitworths (https://www.whitworths.com.au/) are a great source for electrical stuff like grommets (they even have water-proof wiring-glands to really make sure) as even Jaycar seems to have cut back on stocking useful hardware.:( Before you do drill a new hole, locating it not far from something that goes through firewall will give you a reference-point to what is actually on the other side. Also, use a small hole saw rather than a large drill, as there'll be less burring & it won't 'grab' & pull itself through, possibly damaging something behind.:think1[1]: BTW, try to avoid using silicone-sealant, as it tends to stick better to paint than metal, so after a while you find it comes off leaving even more bare-metal exposed. Epoxy paint that requires no primer like Rustguard, will seal the bare-steel well, but needs to be left to dry hard 1st. ;)

shaggy-89
20-03-13, 07:29 PM
Cheers all for the relpys, ended up drilling the usings some kill rust on a small brush and drilled it close to the one on passenger side. For a gromit i used some rubber i had laying around from an old project car.

So its all In just waiting for dark so i can adjust the lights (not much room to play).

Cheers

Shane

brianwanless
20-03-13, 07:39 PM
Try following the bonnet release cable back to the bulkhead. The cable goes through a rubber grommet. Feed a piece of thin steel wire through the grommet alongside the cable. Tape the wire for your spot lights to the wire. Tape over the end of the wire so it is smooth. Look up under the dash till you see the bonnet cable and wire and pull the wire through, go gentle when the spot light wire comes through or you will pull the grommet out.
This will work OK with thin wires. Good luck Brian. Just seen your last post, keep this for next time.