PDA

View Full Version : HELP - How do I get rid of this smell

Ashes
13-03-13, 01:57 PM
:help[1]: Long story short is; 1kg of chicken mince (pet food) was left in my car at 45 degrees + for 6 days. Don't get me started on why.
Bottom line is that my car smells like someone has died in it. So far I have tried vanilla essence, steam cleaning, bi carb soda, carpet deodorizer's and little green trees.
Pretty annoyed seen as though theres nothing else wrong with the car. I'm thinking about trading it in because the smell is just unbearable :disappointed[1]:
And I live in the Pilbara away from any fancy car detailing places and won't be going to Perth any time soon.
Solutions?
Thanks in advance.

mrbitchi
13-03-13, 03:51 PM
I sympathise with you. A similar thing happended to a mates ute in Darwin a few years ago when it was "borrowed" for a trip to Katherine. It was parked in the Katherine police compound for a week with a meat tray in the glove box. The only way he got rid of the smell was to replace all the upholstery as nothing would shift it.. :(

Coopspop
13-03-13, 04:36 PM
Long shot, but thereis a product called nil odour. Coles or woollies should have it if u got one nearby.

scruffy
13-03-13, 05:26 PM
Long shot, but thereis a product called nil odour. Coles or woollies should have it if u got one nearby.

X 2, works a treat.

mmannion
13-03-13, 05:32 PM
Try plenty of white vinegar.

schnitzel
13-03-13, 05:39 PM
yu will have to take all the carpets and seats out, pressure wash them at your handy car wash, wipe down all interior surfaces with nil odor and reassemble.

do not leave seats and carpet in the sun to dry, need to be dried over a couple of days out of sunlight or they shrink.

Stevie-Ray
13-03-13, 09:17 PM
Try steam-cleaning all the fabrics in your vehicle (carpet seats & roof-liner) with deodoriser in the water, concentrating on 'ground-zero', but watch that area doesn't get too hot. All Woolies stores rent them out to do carpets, if you can't borrow one. :think1[1]:

hhaannkkyy
14-03-13, 01:43 AM
A while back I had two milk bottles leak onto the back carpet of a Verada I used to have. It wasnt noticed until a day later after sitting windows up in direct sunlight. Ended up spraying different anti bacterial on the carpet then covered it in 2 or 3 large boxes of bi carb and let that sit for less than a couple of weeks then vacuumed and repeated the process of cleaning and a few boxes of bi carb and had that sit for another month. In the end the bi carb absorbed the smell fully. The cops didn't question it during at a RBT either, go figure.

Pauly Faulkner
14-03-13, 10:52 AM
Watered down Vinegar for cleaning the fabrics and leave door open all day to air dry and repeat as many times until smell dulls down.
Get a product called vanillin fresh from the cleaning isle in the supermarket(next to dishwash and shower clean products) it's a vanillin ethanol sanitizer. Soak the fabrics and wipe down all the trims etc. Turn air on recycle and spray down under the glove box so it goes right through the vents.
Being in chicken food process industry as a cleaner, machine operator and meat worker i can honestly tell you, cloak the smell all you want but it will stay until the bacteria has died off!
You pretty much need an alcohol or food grade sanitizer which vanillin fresh is both.

gerhard
14-03-13, 11:24 AM
Had a chest freezer that had a "dead smell" after motor failed years ago. Only thing that worked was charcoal. Google it and see!!!!!!!

Dusco
14-03-13, 01:41 PM
This is too easy

Step 1. Find a Labrador. Any Labrador.
Step 2. Wet the Labrador with a bath (treats required) or throw a stick or Ball into a River(no treat required).
Step 3. Place wet Labrador in the Back of the Pajero (no treat will be required).
Step 4. After 30 Minute drive(drive very important) Remove semi dry Labrador.

Now Pajero will smell of Wet Lab, Usually good for 6 months+

repeat when required.:)

Ashes
14-03-13, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I already own a German Shepherd so the dog smell is easy to get in the car haha.
Cheers. I'll give a few of those things a go. If not.....who knows.:dunno[1]:

craka
14-03-13, 09:46 PM
What ever you use I'd imagine it would need to have an anti bacterial agent, as it's bacteria that smells.

sharkcaver
14-03-13, 09:53 PM
IIRC, mythbusters couldn't rid the smell of a pig carcass locked in a car for 3 months.......

Nik
14-03-13, 11:09 PM
Looks like you'll have to buy a new paj :D

Nik
14-03-13, 11:10 PM
This is too easy

Step 1. Find a Labrador. Any Labrador.
Step 2. Wet the Labrador with a bath (treats required) or throw a stick or Ball into a River(no treat required).
Step 3. Place wet Labrador in the Back of the Pajero (no treat will be required).
Step 4. After 30 Minute drive(drive very important) Remove semi dry Labrador.

Now Pajero will smell of Wet Lab, Usually good for 6 months+

repeat when required.:)

:lol9[1]: :lol9[1]: :lol9[1]: Love it - so true

Goodsy
14-03-13, 11:31 PM
I work in a hospital. Lots of bad smells there! The cleaners use a odour neutralising spray on everything. I could swipe a bottle if you want it give it a shot?

Stevie-Ray
15-03-13, 12:19 AM
IIRC, mythbusters couldn't rid the smell of a pig carcass locked in a car for 3 months.......
Coincidentally, this news-item appeared on the Fairfax News SMH website this morning (Thurs); http://www.smh.com.au/world/panic-as-pig-deaths-mount-20130314-2g363.html
Don't think I'll buy any food products from China any time in the near future!!!:eek:
BTW, who drew the short-straw to open the car? One job Buster couldn't be roped into doing! :lol9[1]:

Lurch
15-03-13, 12:34 AM
You need some stuff called Florogen. made by Whiteleys.
Product is an odour remover and not just a masking agent and works pretty good but that is a big job you have there.
I did a job a few years back where a guy had died in a house and wasnt found for a few days, I have never smelt anything like it but liberal doses of Florogen with plenty of fresh air helped remove it.
As others have said, clean the site of any leakage, use a heap of bi carb or cooking salt (only on dry surfaces) to soak the residue from the fabric/carpet and treat with Florogen and plenty of fresh air, that is about your only hope i reckon.
Statewide Cleaning Supplies run a pretty sharp online ordering system so I would give them a go for the florogen.
www.statewideclean.com.au (http://www.statewideclean.com.au)

I hope this helps you out a little bit.

bigchris.nk.pajero
15-03-13, 12:52 AM
Hi mate im chris im a owner/operator of a mobile car detailing buisiness
(pristine vehicle detailing). As a few of the guys have sed u will need to remove
all seats,carpets,carpet underlay and boot matt.
U'l want a concentrated citrus cleaner/degreaser,make a really strong mix
(around 5-10litres total) give everything a real good soak,use all of it on everything
just make sure its bio-degradable p.h neutral and amonia free(that will.discolour)
Leave to soak in for aday or better for2,then basicly flush it out with a hose
realy well. Then prop /hang evrything out of the sun todry for another day or so.
(its better if u can have them so all the water drains to 1coner of each item)
And another (hopefully last part). Make up a realy good strong mix of
About 50-100ml eucalyptus oil and same of tea tree oil to 10litres of water
mix it well and use the entire mix over all ur carpets,seats,underlay & boot matt.
Once all this mix is thru everything just let it dry in shade agen this will take a bit
longer to dry due to the oils.
Once dry and re-asembled place a couple of open containers of bi-carb thru ur car.

Dazza.
17-03-13, 01:05 PM
I honestly can't see the smell being 100% completely removed.

I'd personally be speaking with my insurance company. I recently saw a fully written off FG XR6 Turbo falcon that was being pulled apart at a wreckers. No physical damage at all. Turns out some bloke gassed himself in it and wasn't found for a week or so - written off due to the smell.

Hamish3300
01-06-13, 06:18 AM
Have had a similar issue with vehicles I have bought second hand - one was sold because of a similar smell - funny how cheap you can get them when this is the case.......

Anyway the cure is simple but long winded - a COMPLETE interior strip which includes all seats, trim, carpets, headliner....... everything except the glass and wiring. Then spray with undiluted liquid laundry detergent (plain lable is fine) and pressure wash the entire shell and ALL of the fittings including seats, carpets - yes they will be fine. Dry in the sun or shade (except leather) and refit when everything is fully dry. Smell will be gone and it will be the best 3-4 days you spend on a vehicle as it will be as clean and sweet smelling as when it left the factory.

A long winded fix but it works.:beer[1]:

johnno87
04-06-13, 10:20 AM
I know its a long shot but there are these interior deodorising 'bombs' that you can buy you set em off in the car with all the windows up and aircon running flat out. I've used them a few times on some pretty rank smelling cars and they seem to work pretty well.

Made by Auto Glym I think

bigdog1
04-06-13, 02:51 PM
put a apple in truck when bad put another in

Goodsy
04-06-13, 03:36 PM
Would a pear work as well?:lol9[1]:

dhula
26-06-13, 09:33 PM
put a apple in truck when bad put another in

Would a pear work as well?:lol9[1]:

Twice as well I'd reckon

:nana[1]:

Quietguy
27-06-13, 08:36 AM
At new year the power to my van went off. Fridge and freezer full of food. I was real crook at the time so just shut the door and returned to Forster.

Today I'm back at the farm, and thinking about whether I'm game to open that fridge. Guess Ill have to but...

Maybe open it and go stay in a motel