PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to dent knock this?

AndyNH91
16-02-13, 11:29 PM
Kissed a tree truck as I drove over some rollie rocks near Suggan Buggan. Frustrating.

Anyway, does anyone know how to dent knock something like this?

captain_paj
17-02-13, 12:12 AM
Not a great chance of getting away without having to paint it - but there's some awesome vids on Youtube dealing with that sort of damage.

MAYBE hot glue and dent puller, but I think it's more grind it back, MIG weld a couple of nails/bolts and pull...

I'm no expert mind...It will be interesting to read the replies you get with suggestions. I'm looking forward to it. More stuff for me to learn!

JK017
17-02-13, 12:22 AM
Sorry mate but you will need to re-paint that one.

Some paint shops have a dent puller that attaches a "stud" which looks like a nail to the metal and you use a special dent puller to pull the metal back.

I have tacked several long nails in place with the mig. You hit the nail below the head with vice grips and gently hit on the vice grips to pull the metal out. You can spot heat the metal to make it easier. Then grind and sand the area for a thin film of bog before paint.

But all of the above is only needed if you cant get to the inside area of the dent.

geopaj
17-02-13, 02:08 PM
BEFORE you do anything, contact a pointless dent removal company. If it can be done, they'll be able to do it. From memory, they don,'t charge much.

BROOMZPAJ
17-02-13, 03:13 PM
BEFORE you do anything, contact a pointless dent removal company.

Had me scratching my head there for a while. :confused:

Then I realised pointless = paintless! :lol9[1]: :lol9[1]:

I've got my NM booked in for a small (paintless) dent repair Monday week with local AUSDENT franchise.

Probably not as bad as Andy's but will be interesting to see how they go as the dent is high on the rear passenger door near the window.

captain_paj
18-02-13, 07:12 AM
My wife's falcon has a "pointless" (and I chose that misspelling on choice - no AC here) dent removal that was done before we purchased.

Included a re spray over the area.

:censored[1]: DISGUSTING job.

Franchises suck. Anyone can buy a franchise. Some operators are good, some are just downright :censored[1]:house

Skexis
18-02-13, 09:06 AM
Meh. Gives it character :D

AndyNH91
23-02-13, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the responses!

I gather if I were to remove the plastic trim on the inside I'd find that section of the car double skinned? Would be kinda nice if you could dent knock from the inside, but perhaps it is not possible there?

Greg Grey Grumbly
23-02-13, 07:22 PM
Andy good Paintless Dent Repair blokes are terrific from my experience. I have used them a few times on my Falcon and Pajero, and you would be surprised at the results.

But I think the problem you may have with yours is that its double skinned in that area and the PDR guy won't be abe to help - but ask one to have a look.

Otherwise its conventional repair, fill, and paint whihc is also OK.

Greg

steadysteve
23-10-13, 12:33 AM
hi im Steve (steady).
yep you need to sand that dint back to bare metal about an inch around the whole thing so it all shiny and back to bare metal then right at the deepest point of the impact spot weld or mig just tack on little rings then you slowly bring each one out using a slide hammer at the same time you tap lightly around the edge of the panel. (this will relieve the stressed pannel bringing it out) you must repeat process until panel is aligned. get it close enough then fill with bog sand to shape wax and grease panel around bog (do not wax and grease bog just clean dust off) mask up light prime then spray putty alloy to dry well so it shrinks back at least 4 hours sand with 2000 wet and dry under coat sand and paint.

Pauly Faulkner
23-10-13, 08:52 AM
To deep in the wrong spot for glue on pullers. Definately need the tac weld with nails trick or lower the back of the roof lining in an attempt to tap it out from the back hopefully. Either way, it won't be a paintless dent removal, it's gonna need a bit of tlc after the dent removal.

Stevie-Ray
23-10-13, 09:22 AM
To deep in the wrong spot for glue on pullers. Definately need the tac weld with nails trick or lower the back of the roof lining in an attempt to tap it out from the back hopefully. Either way, it won't be a paintless dent removal, it's gonna need a bit of tlc after the dent removal.
x2
Paintless repairs go only be done when there's been no stretching of the metal (ie; depressions away from edges of larger panels), so probably best to take to a smash-repairer (& most will accept as cash-job if less than excess plus extra ins.premium).:think1[1]: