PDA

View Full Version : Sun damage

Skexis
23-12-12, 05:58 PM
Hi

My recently acquired graphite grey 96 NK has no sun damage to the paintwork whatsoever. I'd kinda like to keep it that way.

With this in mind is there any particular product you guys use to keep your Paj in good condition? Do people use waxes or are the posher options in a jetwash just as good? Are there any "do's" and "don'ts" I should be aware of?

Thanks

Stevie-Ray
23-12-12, 10:06 PM
Hi

My recently acquired graphite grey 96 NK has no sun damage to the paintwork whatsoever. I'd kinda like to keep it that way.

With this in mind is there any particular product you guys use to keep your Paj in good condition? Do people use waxes or are the posher options in a jetwash just as good? Are there any "do's" and "don'ts" I should be aware of?

Thanks

Probably the worst thing that owners do is over-polishing, either thinning or removing the clearcoat, which is what protects the softer paint underneath from UV & abrasion. :o
While waxes will fill tiny surface imperfections & mimic some of the qualities of clearcoat, application of another good coat of clearcoat by a good spray-painter is clearly the best way to guarantee maintaining that good finish! ;)

Steve :rolleyes:

captain_paj
23-12-12, 10:19 PM
Hi

Thanks

The stuff in an auto wash are crap. Nothing beats putting a coating over your car - and I agree with the idea of putting a new clear coat over, but you probably won't go that far.

I've tried a lot of waxes over the years and none last terribly well. I've just purchased some Finish Kare FK1000P (turned up on Friday) which from my research sounds like it will work well and last a long time compared to most.

If you want to go all out find a good Detailer who will decontaminate, clay bar, polish and wax your car. It will look amazing but you won't get any change from probably $800 on a 4WD.

If you don't want to go that far - make sure you clay bar it. Clay barring is awesome. A polish will take it that much further. A long lasting wax is the icing on the cake.

For pure protection, a clay bar and a long lasting wax. Elbow grease involved.

Pauly Faulkner
24-12-12, 09:57 AM
If your cashed up you could get this guy to wash your car ahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LSle_WgexQ

I wash mine twice with a regular car wash then dry it with a few microfibre clothes, after that i use Canubra wax with two cotton polishing clothes, sets really hard and lasts a few weeks. If you garage the paj then i wouldn't be surprised if it lasts months.

Have you got a picture of your Paj? mines Thrurston grey and wouldn't mind seeing what other grays are out there.

catsman
24-12-12, 12:52 PM
Well my paj has virtually no clear coat left on the bonnet and roof so I won't be bothering, but on my BLACK xr8 I used to clay bar it with some meguiars quick detailer to prep the surface, the clay removes all surface contaminates stuck to the paint. Then I would use their tech wax product, apply twice in a month originally then about every year after that. In between can just clean with quick detailer. A lot easier than applying wax type products. Also not meant to use the brush at a car wash but a microfiber mit to avoid making tiny swirls. Any car wash will do, as long as it's suds up good and is pH neutral ( don't use dishwashing detergent as it's not pH neutral). Mother's products are also good, but I liked meguiars.

I was a bit crazy about that car and the perfect shine. Poor paj just gets a hose down every now and then :D