PDA

View Full Version : Detailing for a first timer

Jonno
08-09-12, 05:23 PM
Hey all,

Got my Pajero not long ago and wanting to really look after her. I'm wanting to know the best products to use etc from start to finish. Best places to buy gear and all the rest.

Cheers all!

scarecrow73
08-09-12, 08:29 PM
If you've got an alloy bar, use "Purple" polish. Quick, easy and does a top job.

Bundyk
08-09-12, 08:56 PM
Jonno,

I have been using Autoglym stuff for a while now. Great results from their stuff, not overly cheap though.

Jonno
08-09-12, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking of just picking up the mcquires starting kits tomorrow and just work with that for now

GHendo
08-09-12, 09:09 PM
Mate any of the good quality polishes, cleaners etc. should be fine. I have a heap of Armorall stuff because my wife thought it a good idea to give me one of those big boxes of their stuff for Xmas one year.

Steer clear of really cheap products - $1 a tin sort of thing and stick with the well know brands - Armorall, Turtle to name a couple. I bought a tin of cheap degreaser once and you may as well wee on the grease as use it.

Don't get too carried away with the detailing. A mate of mine went to buy a second hand BMW once and the bloke put it up on a hoist so he could have a look underneath. My mate said you could have eaten you food off the underside of it and he asked the bloke how he kept it so clean. The bloke replied that a tooth brush got most of the dirt off !! Gee, you'd want to be keen and have too much spare time on your hands.

Have fun polishing.

Cheers

Geoff

Jonno
09-09-12, 05:44 PM
Ended up just picking up the macguires kit from super cheap.

Done the wifes car this arvo in about 4 hours, will give the pajero a go minus the clay bar work tomorrow.

Will post photos tomorrow!

marquis
09-09-12, 06:08 PM
Clay is only required if the surface feels rough after a polish/wax.

03EXCEED
09-09-12, 06:43 PM
Clay bar is used before a wax is applied to clean any surface contaminants. Grab a thin bag and place your hand in it and rub the surface of the vehicle lightly. If it feels rough, clay it.

Clay the surface after you wash the car, dry and wax if doing by hand.

Polish is a middle step, but unless you a using a rotary or DA buffer, it's not really worth it. Wax is only a surface protectant, the prep before hand is where you get your shine from.

This below is just the prep before a wax: clay, machine cut, wax. Pic is expanded so not the best quality.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/robbo58/IMG_0819.jpg

Pauly Faulkner
20-09-12, 11:43 AM
Wash it twice. first with a sponge then second time with a microfibre cloth, then rub back dry with a chamy cloth after second clean, after you're sure it's dry either polish it or just wax it, i don't bother with polish anymore i just rub some carnauba wax all over and let it air dry till it hazes like a white powder then use a polishing cloth to go over and shine it up, after first rub back i use a second clean cloth and do it again.
Almost good enough to shave off ;)

I just use armor all, does the job for me and is affordable.

Scoteye
20-09-12, 12:08 PM
Armour all or Meguires. Never cheap out on window cleaner or use household window cleaner eg windex especially on older tint.

I basically do what Pauly does with a double wash minus the wax. I rarely polish any vehicle especially the 4x4. The furthest i go is a bit of fine line and scratch remover but that is once in a blue moon too.

However i do a through wash and clean inside and out cleaning around inside side of the doors, tailgate etc.

Also keeping it unpolished helps to reduce glare for other drivers and yourself :D

Alex86
20-09-12, 01:16 PM
Armour all or Meguires. Never cheap out on window cleaner or use household window cleaner eg windex especially on older tint.

I'd go as far as saying do not use household window cleaner on any tinted surface. Windex will destroy most tints. (And apparently, so will oils and crud oozing outta your skin over time if you rest your arm on the sill against the tinted glass).

However i do a through wash and clean inside and out cleaning around inside side of the doors, tailgate etc.

Same. Nothing uglier than opening the door to a clean outside/inside and seeing crud all over the door frames and sills etc.
Someone yelling out for a laugh "Missed a spot!" comes to mind :lol9[1]:

Also keeping it unpolished helps to reduce glare from your for other drivers and yourself :D

I'll disagree with ya there. I looooove mine shining, she's got a reputation :D

So far I've found the best results with Armorall products to wash the car. The green Heavy Duty wash solution or the darker-blue Wash and Wax do a pretty good job. Armorall tyre shine in the pressure pack is awesome too.
Follwed up by a wax, or maybe once or twice a year a light polish then wax. Black Magic wax looks a treat and lasts a while on my car.

I know Meguires make a good product, but I've not been wowed with them on my Paj.

Still yet to have a go with the Mothers clay bar and Carnuba wax that i bought a while ago.
Posted somewhere in the forum a before/after photo a while back of the inside of one of my wheels after using the Mothers wheel cleaner. Not a bad result I thought.

To polish the bar i have some metal/alloy polish made by Autosol. It's alright.

Interior plastic gets Armorall. I have none of the supposed cracking issues that some people reckons it causes. It gathers a bit of dust after a couple days as it leaves a slightly 'wet' shine, but a quick wipe with a dry cloth and its bonza again.
After a vacuum of the carpet and fabric, it gets some fabric deodoriser sprayed on. Smells fresh for weeks!

Glass, well... I have not found a product that has me satisfied yet. I'm one day going to try CLR on the external surface because of the ridiculously hard water up here.

Silver Streak
20-09-12, 01:32 PM
This below is just the prep before a wax: clay, machine cut, wax. Pic is expanded so not the best quality.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/robbo58/IMG_0819.jpg
Obviously you DO eat your dinner off of your vehicle?? You've got it parked, is it the kitchen or laundry?? Very nice!! :D :beer[1]:

03EXCEED
20-09-12, 01:46 PM
Haha, in the carport. Not mine mate, i do this on the side for people. Get clubsports and stuff that want showroom shine. Mine i just wash.

Like this one :)

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/robbo58/IMG_0912_zps6efd3395.jpg

Scoteye
20-09-12, 03:01 PM
I'd go as far as saying do not use household window cleaner on any tinted surface. Windex will destroy most tints. (And apparently, so will oils and crud oozing outta your skin over time if you rest your arm on the sill against the tinted glass).

Same. Nothing uglier than opening the door to a clean outside/inside and seeing crud all over the door frames and sills etc.
Someone yelling out for a laugh "Missed a spot!" comes to mind :lol9[1]:

I'll disagree with ya there. I looooove mine shining, she's got a reputation :D

So far I've found the best results with Armorall products to wash the car. The green Heavy Duty wash solution or the darker-blue Wash and Wax do a pretty good job. Armorall tyre shine in the pressure pack is awesome too.
Follwed up by a wax, or maybe once or twice a year a light polish then wax. Black Magic wax looks a treat and lasts a while on my car.

I know Meguires make a good product, but I've not been wowed with them on my Paj.

Still yet to have a go with the Mothers clay bar and Carnuba wax that i bought a while ago.
Posted somewhere in the forum a before/after photo a while back of the inside of one of my wheels after using the Mothers wheel cleaner. Not a bad result I thought.

To polish the bar i have some metal/alloy polish made by Autosol. It's alright.

Interior plastic gets Armorall. I have none of the supposed cracking issues that some people reckons it causes. It gathers a bit of dust after a couple days as it leaves a slightly 'wet' shine, but a quick wipe with a dry cloth and its bonza again.
After a vacuum of the carpet and fabric, it gets some fabric deodoriser sprayed on. Smells fresh for weeks!

Glass, well... I have not found a product that has me satisfied yet. I'm one day going to try CLR on the external surface because of the ridiculously hard water up here.

I think it is the ammonia base window cleaners that do the damage, currently i am using Armour all window cleaner which is the best i think i have ever used. Was very effective at removing heavy tobacco smoke build up from the mother in-laws hyundai i have never seen so much gunk come off interior glass ever.

My eyes are very sensitive to glare highly polished bars, boats and the like which can result in bad migranes, especially if i forget my sunnies. Not so bad if it is my vehicle as i am behind the wheel and the back of my bar is painted black. ;)

03EXCEED
20-09-12, 03:12 PM
That Auto Glym fast glass is a pretty good window cleaner.

DANI3L
20-09-12, 04:36 PM
i recomend meguiars nxt generation glass cleaner, after using it i wont use anyhthing else its not cheap but its worth every cent,
i also use there wash and wax i dont like using sponges i use wash mits one for the paint work and a seperate one for the wheels and tyres,
i use car kitten interior cleaner its multi purpose its not shiney like other brands wich means it doesnt collect dust
i hope this helps

Alex86
20-09-12, 05:54 PM
I do use armorall glass wipes for the glass. Really good on the inside, but cannot remove calcium buildup on the outside. Hence why I might try some CLR. If that doesnt work, I might get it scraped (unless its tempered glass.. windscreen is laminated so that'll be ok).

Calcium in the water up here is ridiculous. So glad I have a white car.... We actually have a reverse osmosis setup at work to hose off the aircraft so the damn calcium doesnt build up on them!

Oh, have previously used Autoglym plastic cleaner/polish. Wow, that stuff rocks! very $$$ though

Scoteye
20-09-12, 06:37 PM
i recomend meguiars nxt generation glass cleaner, after using it i wont use anyhthing else its not cheap but its worth every cent,
i also use there wash and wax i dont like using sponges i use wash mits one for the paint work and a seperate one for the wheels and tyres,
i use car kitten interior cleaner its multi purpose its not shiney like other brands wich means it doesnt collect dust
i hope this helps

I changed from original armour all to armour all's low shine formula it is much better than the original so far.

basil
23-12-12, 09:10 PM
I asked a friend of mine who has show cars, what do the guys in the club use before show and shine competions, and he said Meguires, followed by more coats of Meguires.
He applies half a dozen coats of polish and wax before shows.

I have started using it this year and it certainly hangs on and gives a nice shine, but the polish is one of those types that you don't put it on and then rub off when it dries, you have to keep on rubbing and rubbing before it dissapears.
Wonderful shine but hard yakka.

Cheers.

Pumpdogg
02-01-13, 10:20 PM
+1 for autoglym stuff. The interior cleaner is great although it doesn't shine only cleans. The polish is hands down best I have ever used. Goes on easy comes off easy and leaves panels feeling smooth. Keep polish up to a car and it so much easier to wash.

Stevie-Ray
03-01-13, 01:25 AM
Useful items to clean vehicle are toothbrushes & paintbrushes for cleaning those bits that are difficult, & a silver-polishing cloth (from a jewellery-store), to remove oxides from chrome & stainless that's next to plastic/vinyl, etc. :think1[1]:

Steve :rolleyes:

awbeattie381
03-01-13, 08:31 AM
Keep polish up to a car and it so much easier to wash.

so true. The neighbours think I am crazy for washing cars every weekend when I get a spare minute. Both my wifes car and my own sit on the road collecting bird sh!t and leaves. If I leave it longer than a couple of weeks between washes they take twice as long to clean!

I might have to investigate autoglym. Currently use meguiars but I am due for a new tub (and a polish badly!)

What are peoples thoughts on metho to clean interior glass? I find even warm water and paper towels (a few to wash and a few to dry) also works pretty well.