PDA

View Full Version : Pressurized wash?

jm2004
31-05-08, 01:39 PM
Hi, we know the importance to keep the underbody incl. every nook and cranny clean from salt, sand, mud etc and most I suspect use some kind of pressurized water spray to do the job. I usually use those coin-operated DIY wash but found it impossible to clean in detail, it's only good for general spray albeit the water pressure is very (too?) strong.

The "carcube" product (www.carcube.com.au) seems interesting and practical, with 130 psi I believe. There are many different Karcher water pumps (www.karcher.com.au), which to me looks more serious, higher pressure, direct from mains power cable etc. I don't know but am sure there are other products as well to consider.

The question is = what's the recommended pressure to clean the Paj underbody without damaging the rust protective layers?

The 4WD club I belong will have the carcube as the next-meeting presenter, so I expect to be able to buy at a discount there, but not yet convinced if the output pressure is sufficient.

Thanks and regards,

Eastie
31-05-08, 02:54 PM
I use a coin car wash place at a BP servo. I asked the operator what they use for the tyre/engine cleaner and he showed me the drums of truck wash that they hook up, so I wash the cars in that now and they come up 10x cleaner with a quick all over sponge/underbody spray than the soap/scratch brush they have. If you are ever there when the operator is there ask them what they are using for their wheel wash - if it's truck wash have a go with that.

With a karcher it's safe to use a normal high pressure underneath, just don't use a ball bearing tip as they are designed to strip the surface and would likely remove and cut into the underbody protection.

mr_grumble
26-07-08, 03:42 PM
:dunno[1]:

dolphin
26-07-08, 04:27 PM
Truck wash is a very good product that does dissolve mud build up etc but you must be carefull when using a high pressure water blaster under the vehicle around all electrical contact plug points [ never under the bonnet ] in the engine area as this pressurised water will go into all contacts and will cause corrosion of terminals etc . i do have the most powerfull electric water blaster available which is a Gerni and i only use it very carefully to certain areas, i find the best and safest way to clean under body areas is to mix the truckwash with water in a pressure pump [ $20 from bunnings ] then spray it on and leave for 5 minutes then hose of with the garden hose pressure.

Lambie
26-07-08, 10:13 PM
I have a mid priced Sthil pressure blaster bit of gear - and its able to tear off paint on our 10 year old Falcon - ouch.....

As a result of my experience I tend to back off the pressure a bit and go carefully.

To clean the paj 'underbelly' I start at a moderate pressure and work up for when things are still sticking (MUD) - but as sugested go easy around any electrics, grommets etc.

Unfortunately non of the gear that I have come across seems to have a pressure gauge to show how hard you are going - not even at the 'paid car wash' facilities.

OK so this isn't in the (any) manual - but I have thought about placing my hand in front of the pressure blast at about 30cm - if it hurts - then back it off to stop pressure damage to the car - but if it doesnt, go harder! - wot could be simpler!!!!

Dont try this one at home kids - the guys an idiot!!!

So back to JM2004's original quetion - what is a safe cleaning pressure and how do you know what is the water pressure at the local???

Absolutely NFI - but I do look forward to your feedback from the cubes response - surely their insurance Co. must have set some parameters to limit their exposure?? (ie no greater than xxx psi based on a 2008 uni study that suggested a max of .....psi for all commercial car washes...... ????)

Cheers Lambie

Pete & Mon's NS
27-07-08, 06:37 PM
I want to know how everyone gets to all the nooks and crannies in the under-body at the moment without that pressure cube thing.

I spent the better part of 3 hours hosing my underside down this morning after getting stuck in a freak downpour whilst out sightseeing with the wife yesterday. We were on a very clay-ee (spelling???) track, and there is clay everywhere! The stock Dunlops handled like $h!t and I had virtually no steering control at all cos they were choc full of clay, and a further 2 inch layer on top just for good measure to make them slicks!

There are some spaces in the rear part of the chassis, especially the suspension where the struts go where I can still feel the mud with the tips of my finger, but can't get at it with my hose. Got most of it out but I am concerned about it staying there and rusting it out. Only have 1400kms on it... :(

Any ideas? Should I be worried to the extent an ERPS should be investigated?

Regards

Peter

twc
27-07-08, 07:46 PM
I find when hosing out underneath that its far easier to hose when i use car ramps to raise either end of the pajero