PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting laws in Vic?

burpdog
12-07-12, 12:47 PM
Hi guys, I left my pajero that i just bought into get the road worthy done and the mechanic said that the windows are too dark to pass the RW, bearing in mind its just the rear windows done. Does this sound correct? As am from Ireland I am not sure for the laws and regs over here. :confused:

Merts
12-07-12, 01:42 PM
The rear windows on the later model Pajeros with 'privacy' glass are pretty dark (and still legal). I have them on mine and you can barely see into the car through them from the outside on a sunny day.

The VicRoads data sheet on window tinting says all windows must have a light transmittance of at least 35%. It also says it is desirable for the windows to the side and front of the driver (ie the front door windows) to have at least 70% transmittance.

So, I think what that means is, on a sliding scale from no glass (ie an open window = 0%) to completely black (100%) you are allowed a maximum of 65% tint on any of the windows.

I guess you could measure the degree of tint (or transmittance) with a light source and a photography light meter. If the reading through the tinted glass is at least 35% of the reading through the open window the tint is okay.

burpdog
12-07-12, 01:58 PM
The rear windows on the later model Pajeros with 'privacy' glass are pretty dark (and still legal). I have them on mine and you can barely see into the car through them from the outside on a sunny day.

The VicRoads data sheet on window tinting says all windows must have a light transmittance of at least 35%. It also says it is desirable for the windows to the side and front of the driver (ie the front door windows) to have at least 70% transmittance.

So, I think what that means is, on a sliding scale from no glass (ie an open window = 0%) to completely black (100%) you are allowed a maximum of 65% tint on any of the windows.

I guess you could measure the degree of tint (or transmittance) with a light source and a photography light meter. If the reading through the tinted glass is at least 35% of the reading through the open window the tint is okay.

Cheers, appreciate the feedback. I'll keep that in mind when i go to see the mechanic again. So does that mean they have testing equipment on site in garages? If so i would be better to get test results or get him to show me a test for the tints?

Herman4x4
12-07-12, 02:41 PM
G'day,
You could always ring a window tiniting place, I sure they would know??
Cheers,
Andrew.

Merts
12-07-12, 03:00 PM
So does that mean they have testing equipment on site in garages? If so i would be better to get test results or get him to show me a test for the tints?
I have no idea if roadworthy testers have equipment to test the darkness of tints. If I was you I would phone him and ask if he tests it somehow or if he is just making an assessment by looking at them.

my.paj
12-07-12, 03:30 PM
I have no idea if roadworthy testers have equipment to test the darkness of tints. If I was you I would phone him and ask if he tests it somehow or if he is just making an assessment by looking at them.
I think they should because how else can the determine if legal or not ?
Just like the have the head light aim and stuff to check if they are at the right height.
Rick

Merts
12-07-12, 03:48 PM

There is a mechanic who does roadworthies about 200m from my office. I will drop in and ask what they do on my way home tonight.

burpdog
12-07-12, 04:46 PM
Just like the have the head light aim and stuff to check if they are at the right height.
Rick

Thats what i was thinking, only makes sense that way!

Emu
12-07-12, 05:56 PM
He was just being a picky w@nker.
There is no light testing machine.
Take your car to someone else for the RWC.

sharky
12-07-12, 07:41 PM
I did'nt think the rear ones mattered so much just the front ones. I could be wrong

Merts
12-07-12, 09:05 PM
I did'nt think the rear ones mattered so much just the front ones. I could be wrong

You are definitely wrong. The rules I quoted are from the VicRoads info bulletin on the subject. Minimum 35% light transmittance for all windows.

my.paj
12-07-12, 09:34 PM
All windows of a motor vehicle, other than windscreens, available to the driver to obtain a view of the road or other road users must have a light transmittance of at least 35%. However it is desirable that the light transmittance of windows to the side and ahead of the driver is not reduced below 70%.
From Vic Roads
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/A4CCADAA-27D3-4EB6-8AE2-17F69F9DAE78/0/VSI2web.pdf
Not very clear.....
Rick

Hunty
13-07-12, 12:19 AM
The lower number % (ie 10%) is darker than a higher number % (ie 70%).These percentage numbers stand for how much visual light tranmission (VLT) is coming thru the glass and window tinting. 35%VLT is as dark as we can legally go except in NT (they can have a bit darker on rear doors and cargos). Privacy glass is allowed because its already installed when its imported to Australia and that is around the 20%VLT. Unless you have privacy glass the rear windows can not be any darker that 35%VLT but the road worthy people should know that you would think! You should be able to go to a window tinting shop and they should be able to put a light metre over it and let you know what the VLT is. Hope this helps!

Hunty

burpdog
13-07-12, 09:21 AM
Cheers for the help guys! ;)

Merts
13-07-12, 11:12 AM

I don't understand why you would you make that sort of comment when you don't appear to know anything about the issue?:(

Burpdog,

I spoke to the roadworthy tester down the road. He said they are required to have a light meter to test the tint on windows. He said generally they just visually inspect them. If they look like they might be too dark they check them with the meter.

He also said that plenty of windows that appear to be okay are in fact too dark when you use the meter on them.

burpdog
13-07-12, 02:15 PM
I don't understand why you would you make that sort of comment when you don't appear to know anything about the issue?:(

Burpdog,

I spoke to the roadworthy tester down the road. He said they are required to have a light meter to test the tint on windows. He said generally they just visually inspect them. If they look like they might be too dark they check them with the meter.

He also said that plenty of windows that appear to be okay are in fact too dark when you use the meter on them.

Ok thanks for that, at least i know now. Unless he has a light meter to show me his results i wont be taking the tints off haha!!

4PAWZ
13-07-12, 02:24 PM

There is actually a light testing machine.

It's in your interest to have people by the book and to be upfront about things like this - if your car in unroadworthy it's a way out for insurance claims and possible complications for you if you were involved in a fatality.

pauld
15-07-12, 07:10 PM
Not specifically helpful but a comment, when we had tint fitted to the Paj a few years ago they asked, how dark do you want it, I said what can you do, they said if you wanted dark then we would recommend you use the darker than legal tint on the rear doors & the rear windows but to use the 'legal' on the front windows. That is what we did. Had a cop go over it for a RWC a while ago and no issue flagged by him.
The rear door windows have the same film as the very rear windows but the very rears seem darker.... perhaps they were darker glass to begin with... can't remember.
Have noticed lots of 4wds have the same, darker on the rear doors similar to mine.

reformedjeeper
15-07-12, 07:53 PM
We had a similar scenario a couple of years ago.
The installer refused to match the dark tint of the factory tinted glass, in the front door windows, however he gave me a couple of lighter shade options, which I agreed to.
His claim was VicRoads had paid all the installers locally a visit to "inform" them of the regulations.
He also refused to tint the the windscreen at all, saying that contravened VicRoads regulations also, but agreed to put a "sunvisor" tint strip across the top of the screen to match the front door glass.
This "sunvisor" strip had been very useful and practical in cutting out glare.
I will be doing the same to this new vehicle.

Yonnee
16-07-12, 05:32 PM
Tint film added to factory glass can be only as dark as 35% as has been stated. But if the privacy glass measures darker than this, you can't get knocked back on the RWC. If this was the case, you'd have cause to ask how the car was registered in the first place with the same glass fitted. However, people do have tint film added to the factory privacy glass as well, so get all your facts.
The stupid thing with the regulations is that "technically" you're not allowed darker than 35% on your rear window or the rear side ones on a wagon, and yet you can legally fill the rear cargo area to the gunwhales (with a cargo barrier), and completely block all viewing out those three window areas.

twoar
16-07-12, 07:32 PM
I had my tint installed to match my privacy glass on on my paj.

20 % transmission (mate worked for tint car, have had 15%)
My Nissan stagea is an import and has higher trans. privacy glass (no front drivers/passengers)

Light meters also suffer from calibration issues. I use them for my day job.

Would recommend following the law and getting the 35%,

but then again your paj is going to look pretty stupid with different tints

( also the state of your sight could the deciding factor)

Hunty
16-07-12, 09:02 PM
Yonnee the thing with tint is that you can see perfectly thru it during the day time but come night time a film does restrict the viewing from the inside to the outside even if it is legal. So imagine if you had a 20 or a 5%installed on the glass so this is the reasoning why you shouldnt have darker tint. If the windows are blocked out completly you are not used to seeing thru then so you dont depend on seeing thru the tint. So if the back of your car is loaded to the hills and you cant see thru you cant see thru for say maybe a weekend or a slight road trip not for the life of the tint.

The reason a car can be registered with privacy glass is because it has been imported with the glass already installed to the vehicle. It is a tinted glass not glass tinted with a tinted film. Windscreens are a definate NO NO!! Visor strip are ok but as long as they arent more than 10% of the winscreen or no lower than the arc of the windscreen wipers.

I have customers ask me to install darker tints to the window and i try and convice them other wise. I think of it as if you are defected for having a darker tint it is classed as an unroadworthy vehicle so if you have an accident and it is deemed to be because your tint is too dark i would think that an insurance company would say that the car is defectable so unroadworthy so your insuance is void. Dang now i have to pay for my car and the other persons car to be repaired!

Also a good 35% film will stop pretty much the same heat as a darker tint will and a darker film will also make it hotter inside the car compared to a 35% because it will absorb more and then radiate into the vehicle. Its just like wearing a white and black tshirt in the sun. Youll always feel hotter in a darker tshirt. Dont get me wrong a dark tint does set off a vehicle sometimes and give good privacy and I know it does look a little odd with differnt front windows but it is the law. Sorry for the rant its just the shop owner coming out in me.

Hunty