PDA

View Full Version : Removing car paint off windows

Juzandbec
21-06-12, 03:16 PM
Hello all,

I recently purchased an 02 Pajero. I have noticed the windows seemed hazy and when I got around to washing the car, noticed the haze didn't come off. Closer inspection shows that it is significant silver color overspray I would say when the car was touched up for sale. It is over all side windows. So far I have tried glass cleaner, acetone, methylated spirits, creame cleaner (Jiff ), light scouring pad, light wet & dry sand paper P1200/800/400, paint scraper and razor blades. Nothing made the slightest impression and I dont want to go too hard otherwise I'll scratch the glass.

Is it possible to remove this paint? Anyone in the repair industry come across this? I can imagine there might be a special glass chemical or polishing type that can get this paint off the windows. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

smokem
21-06-12, 03:27 PM
when they painted my torana there was paint on my windows,
i reckon we used white spirits to get it off!!

Yonnee
21-06-12, 05:35 PM
If it's just silver paint then it should come off with a razor blade, but if it's etch primer, the phosphoric acid may have damaged the glass.

tassie devil
21-06-12, 06:08 PM
clay bar will get over spray off

GHendo
21-06-12, 06:17 PM
Hello all,

So far I have tried glass cleaner, acetone, methylated spirits, creame cleaner (Jiff ), light scouring pad, light wet & dry sand paper P1200/800/400, paint scraper and razor blades. Nothing made the slightest impression and I dont want to go too hard otherwise I'll scratch the glass.

Be very careful using wet & dry - in fact anything abrasive as you could scratch the glass and then you will be in trouble.

I would get one of those scrapers that takes a razor blade and see how you go with that - try in a corner somewhere that is not conspicuous - it should not scratch the glass but may remove the paint.

The other thing you could try is to get some enamel thinners from a paint shop, put some on a rag and try removing it with that. Enamel thinners will dissolve most paint but if they have used two-pack you may have a problem.

Cheers

Geoff

Bundyk
21-06-12, 06:36 PM
Be very careful using wet & dry - in fact anything abrasive as you could scratch the glass and then you will be in trouble.

I would get one of those scrapers that takes a razor blade and see how you go with that - try in a corner somewhere that is not conspicuous - it should not scratch the glass but may remove the paint.

The other thing you could try is to get some enamel thinners from a paint shop, put some on a rag and try removing it with that. Enamel thinners will dissolve most paint but if they have used two-pack you may have a problem.

Cheers

Geoff

I wholey agree. Try the razor blade first, make sure it is NEW. If that fails, then an all-purpose thinner (AP thinner takes 2-pack as well- eventually) on a rag. If you go for the AP thinner option, use an automotive brand such as Hi-Chem or Motorspray. I have had to do this plenty of times before and these ways have always worked.

Stevie-Ray
21-06-12, 06:42 PM
Sloppy! :censored[1]:

Xylene is the stuff councils use to remove unwanted graffiti, as it will even remove epoxy-paints, but you want to avoid spilling the stuff on your paint-work!
(Xylene is in paintbrush-cleaner & also in Whiteknight's Rustguard-solvent)

Steve :rolleyes:

Bundyk
21-06-12, 06:46 PM
Sloppy! :censored[1]:

Xylene is the stuff councils use to remove unwanted graffiti, as it will even remove epoxy-paints, but you want to avoid spilling the stuff on your paint-work!
(Xylene is in paintbrush-cleaner & also in Whiteknight's Rustguard-solvent)

Steve :rolleyes:

Yet virtually useless against 2-packs and more expensive than AP thinners.

03EXCEED
21-06-12, 08:01 PM
Try steel wool number 0000

It's ultra fine and cleans windows great! Just make sure wool is clean, and be careful because it can scratch if you are to harsh with it. Straight lines no circular motion.

Robin
21-06-12, 10:50 PM
would you believe oven cleaner spray can stuff (mr muscle or simular) just keep it off the paint work, it has worked for me. How I found this out? My dear mum uses it on her conara heater glass door and it comes up a treat. I had over spray issue on my paj and thought I will give it a go, clean as a whistle.

Juzandbec
21-06-12, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all, I expect 2-pack has been used, I have tried a new razor blade but not in a holder, it couldn't seem to catch on anything as the spray is like a very fine mist. I'll have a go at the ap thinner and failing that oven cleaner. If nothing works I might be off to the wreckers for some replacement windows when the budget allows.

I'll let you know how it goes, cheers

Lurch
22-06-12, 12:30 AM
Use a blade scraper. Make sure that you wet the glass liberally with a water detergent mix.
2-3 caps of dish detergent will do. The water & detergent ensures that the scraper slides easily on the glass and wont scratch it no matter how aggressive you are with it, the foam picks up & carries the residue.
Hose off & clean as usual upon completion.
Easy!