PDA

View Full Version : Before and After

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 11:15 AM
Well after a little bit of off road fun and me maybe being a little more adventuress then i possibly should have been the Pajero was looking a little worse then i would have liked.

After some tips and equimpment and compound from a mate who is a professional detailer ( 800km away) i was able to get a reasonable result..... well on one quarter panel anyway.

Before

After.. plastic not polished yet.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/vkhdtss/PajeroAfter.jpg

cbass
07-05-12, 11:27 AM
Looking good.
Ol elbow grease

Aussie_Dan
07-05-12, 11:38 AM
Looking very flash!

Ranger J
07-05-12, 11:44 AM
Dardy!

bakerboy
07-05-12, 11:56 AM
care to extend the tips to us? :D

Stevie-Ray
07-05-12, 12:00 PM
Anyone else notice that as it so shiny, the reflection makes it look like NP_Pajero's head is floating in the air above his body as he takes the pic! :lol9[1]:

Steve :rolleyes:

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 12:38 PM
care to extend the tips to us? :D

Sure, bought a buff and got some very good quality pads.. One for compound and one for polish (they cost more then the buff) some good quality compound and use a spray bottle to wet the pad a little and spray the vehicle, you want to keep the paint as cool as you can and don't make to to wet. Also don't over do it with compound etc.
Also don't expose the polish to the sun whilst it's on the vehicle and wash after compound and after polish.
I have another product that goes on in a couple of weeks, it's called perma sheild and put like a protective coating over the paint... It's the same as the car dealers use and call it paint protection..

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 12:41 PM
Anyone else notice that as it so shiny, the reflection makes it look like NP_Pajero's head is floating in the air above his body as he takes the pic! :lol9[1]:

didn't notice but very funny....

Rich0
07-05-12, 01:16 PM
Looks a treat! Planning on giving mine a good go soon (white, not metallic).
Was planning on using a clay bar first, any thoughts?

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 01:23 PM
Looks a treat! Planning on giving mine a good go soon (white, not metallic).
Was planning on using a clay bar first, any thoughts?

I have used a clay bar before and they can help get a fantastic result.. If i was doing it by hand i would use a clay bar but if using a buff i would give it a miss..

For what you pay for a Clay bar (about $50?) i would look at buying a buff, mine was $70 on special at Supercrap. The pads cost me $80 but will do the vehicle many times over.

Hunty
07-05-12, 09:49 PM
Looking pretty schmick!!:clap2[1]: Is the drivers side as bad as the passenger? I can judge the drivers side really well!!

03EXCEED
07-05-12, 10:03 PM
Good job!! Did you use a rotary buffer?

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 10:16 PM
Looking pretty schmick!!:clap2[1]: Is the drivers side as bad as the passenger? I can judge the drivers side really well!!

Drivers side is just as bad... even have marks on the bonnet.. Don't ask.

I did have my daughters in the vehicle with me and they said i don't like that sound dad... and my older daughter said why would you do that to such a nice car?:drive[1]:

But i will do it again.. I bought it to use it.

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 10:18 PM
Good job!! Did you use a rotary buffer?

Yep, same as the grinder style but low speed.

03EXCEED
07-05-12, 10:21 PM
Hey, that's bloody good if it's your first time on the rotary! Just watch for swirls out in the sun afterwards. Rotary will tend to leave swirls behind.

Yep, slow is the way with quality foam cutting pads. I sit it on 1200rpm usually, depending on scratches.

NP_Pajero
07-05-12, 11:00 PM
Hey, that's bloody good if it's your first time on the rotary! Just watch for swirls out in the sun afterwards. Rotary will tend to leave swirls behind.

Yep, slow is the way with quality foam cutting pads. I sit it on 1200rpm usually, depending on scratches.

Cheers, first time on a Rotary... That's why i started on the left rear quarter, if i stuffed it i didn't have to see it everytime i walked up to the car..:(

Not sure what RPM it's running at but it has 6 settings with 6 being 1200rpm i think. I'm running at about 4 until i get the hang of it:smiley_watchout[1]:

I had a freind send some pads down and if price is any indication they are very good quality. They felf good when i was usign them.

03EXCEED
07-05-12, 11:10 PM
4 is starting to get a bit high, on mine it is anyway. I sit on 2.5 usually. 3 if sometimes. Don't go above 4 mate, that's when you find out how paint comes off a car. lol

Mine is set up this way as an example for you.

1 -600rpm 2 -900rpm 3-1500rpm 4- 2000rpm 5- 2500rpm 6- 3000rpm

Stevie-Ray
07-05-12, 11:24 PM
4 is starting to get a bit high, on mine it is anyway. I sit on 2.5 usually. 3 if sometimes. Don't go above 4 mate, that's when you find out how paint comes off a car. lol

Mine is set up this way as an example for you.

1 -600rpm 2 -900rpm 3-1500rpm 4- 2000rpm 5- 2500rpm 6- 3000rpm

Certainly not a good look if the paint heats up too much & smears! :eek:
However, what diameter disc used will also determine at what max. rpm you should run the rotary-polisher. :smiley_watchout[1]:

NP_Pajero
08-05-12, 12:07 AM
Certainly not a good look if the paint heats up too much & smears! :eek:
However, what diameter disc used will also determine at what max. rpm you should run the rotary-polisher. :smiley_watchout[1]:

I'm using a 200mm pads, i was not going by the rmp but as a guide and was more going by the feel.. as you mentioned the last thing i want is to much heat and damage the paint.

What compound do you guys use?

03EXCEED
08-05-12, 08:00 AM
I use the 5.5 inch and 6.5 inch diamond cut pads. Compounds I use depends on condition of the car really. I have used ultimate compound, m105, chemical guys paint correction 1,2,3.

What did you use? Did you use the rotary with the polish after compounding? Just remember to put a coat of wax on after the polish step, as polish does not seal or protect paint.

NP_Pajero
08-05-12, 08:09 PM
I use the 5.5 inch and 6.5 inch diamond cut pads. Compounds I use depends on condition of the car really. I have used ultimate compound, m105, chemical guys paint correction 1,2,3.

What did you use? Did you use the rotary with the polish after compounding? Just remember to put a coat of wax on after the polish step, as polish does not seal or protect paint.

I use Frecla G4 compound and a yep use the rotary with the polish and after a couple of weeks i put perma sheild on by hand.