PDA

View Full Version : NM Stock Bull Bar winch mod

HaydenT
15-03-12, 08:39 PM
Hey guys
Just purchased a tigerz11 12000lb winch the other day and it cant be easily mounted to the stock bull bar on my NM. I really would like to keep the alloy bull bar as i had already done mods to it (Addition of 10mm thick support ribs welded along the internals). In order to keep the the bar i will have to make some thick steel brackets that run from the two hitch points (eyelets connected to the chassis) and raise up to create a platform to mount the winch on. I will also have to cut and weld an aluminium support to the front of the bull bar to fit the cable guide. In theory all the load should be distributed to the chassis via the steel brackets behind the bull bar and only side ways force applied to the bull bar when winching at tight angles. I have done the maths and the brackets will need to be a minimum of 10.667mm steel but over engineering is always better so more like 1/2 inch steel.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? What are your thoughts?

Herman4x4
15-03-12, 08:45 PM
G'day Hayden,
There have been a few that have made or bought a winch cradle that sits behind the bar and between the two chasis rails,, and I think the fairlead is on this as well, so there is nothing attached to the bull bar. Gus is one person who has it set up well. With welds, remember to make sure they are good strong ones as the forces applied when winching can be huge, but it sounds like you know engineering, so tha shoul be all good.
Cheers,
Andrew.

Gus
16-03-12, 08:29 AM
Hayden seen you sound like your handy knock a winch mount up for yourself similar to this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/IMG_4868.jpg

It mounts to the chassis:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/IMG_4872.jpg

Mines a genuine TJM 1 which are no longer available.. The winch is mounted to it:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/IMG_4875.jpg
As you said on a straight line pull no worries at all on the angle yes if you don't support the alloy bar it will twist/bend as you need to, (If mounting the H/fairlead to the alloy bar itself & not the winch mount),have steel brace between bar & Mount..

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/IMG_4885.jpg

Gus. ;)

Catchin Jack
16-03-12, 10:06 AM
You reckon that type of bracket would work with smart bar fitted Gus?

Gus
16-03-12, 10:30 AM
You reckon that type of bracket would work with smart bar fitted Gus?

Can't see why not as long as the winch is mounted to the cradle.. & support/reinforce the bar..
In saying that I'd be checking with the manufactures of the smart bar as they may have a winch kit for the NM..

Gus ;)

AJC
18-03-12, 10:13 AM
Hey Gus, no chance you took exact menasurements befroe installing it?

Would love to put it into a CAD and reverse design so i could have one custom made.

Gus
18-03-12, 12:06 PM
Hey Gus, no chance you took exact menasurements befroe installing it?

Would love to put it into a CAD and reverse design so i could have one custom made.

I wish I had.. Sorry mate..

Gus. :(

AJC
18-03-12, 07:26 PM
I wish I had.. Sorry mate..

Gus. :(

No worries...when that big boomer lines you up and gives you a nice new insurance bar, remember to measure up when its off the car!:beer[1]:

HaydenT
20-04-12, 05:17 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info, this is what i came up with. For the entire construction i used 10mm X 50mm solid plate. (6 metre length cost me about $40)

I copied the original bull bar mounts using the 10mm plate for better strength. You can see this in the first few photos.

Then bolted the new mounts in and placed two lengths of plate between the left and right mount.

Then I measured the clearance and mounting position of the winch. This wasn't a one man job, it took me and a mate a lot of stuffing round lifting the bull bar on and off to get it correct. I forgot to take photos for a while but the next photos show the final product.

Also whacked up a quick 5mm thick sump/bash plate while I was all it. Should be a bit more rugged than the plastic one that it came with.

HaydenT
20-04-12, 05:19 PM
Some more pics

HaydenT
20-04-12, 05:23 PM
Photos

HaydenT
20-04-12, 05:26 PM
The Final product. Took a total of 4 hours over 3 days.

Bergman
21-04-12, 09:52 AM
Nice job mate, now you can do one for my alloy ECB bar ;)

HaydenT
22-04-12, 02:08 PM
Bergman, thanks mate.:beer[1]:

All depends on how much space you have behind the alloy bar. By the look of ECB bars, the winch mount would be pretty similar to mine. But you would have to use a plasma cutter to slot the cable out of the front of the bar which may damage the stability of the bar! I was lucky that the stock bar had the slot at the perfect height.

But where there's a will theres a way...

peejay68au
23-04-12, 11:57 AM
But you would have to use a plasma cutter to slot the cable out of the front of the bar which may damage the stability of the bar! I was lucky that the stock bar had the slot at the perfect height.

My ecb bar has a slot, it hides under the number plate.

rebelone607
24-04-12, 11:13 AM
Nice Job - now you can do one for me:lol9[1]: Just have a couple of concerns though and that is the fairlead looks to be obscuring the number plate substantialy and also because it protrudes from the front of the B.B. is it legal? I know here in NSW you are not allowed to have any protusion from the front bar - rod holders etc fall into this category - something to do with leaving an impression on pedestrians if you know what I mean. Would be a shame to go to all that work fitting one up and then have it knocked back at the next rego inspection.
Merv

Catchin Jack
24-04-12, 11:24 AM
Can't see why not as long as the winch is mounted to the cradle.. & support/reinforce the bar..
In saying that I'd be checking with the manufactures of the smart bar as they may have a winch kit for the NM..

Gus ;)

There's no winch kit for a smart bar for the NM. I've already spoken to them and it's only for later model bars they sell.

Cheers
Leo

Phil
24-04-12, 12:43 PM
Spot on Leo, NS model and onwards.

HaydenT
30-04-12, 02:27 PM
Just have a couple of concerns though and that is the fairlead looks to be obscuring the number plate substantialy and also because it protrudes from the front of the B.B. is it legal? I know here in NSW you are not allowed to have any protusion from the front bar - rod holders etc fall into this category - something to do with leaving an impression on pedestrians if you know what I mean. Would be a shame to go to all that work fitting one up and then have it knocked back at the next rego inspection.
Merv

rebelone607,
Yeah thanks, food for thought. Had a look around Vicroads site and after sifting through almost everything about bull bars I cant seem to find anything regarding protrusions. I will go get it checked by Vicroads. Because if it fails the price of a fine would almost be the same as the price for conversion kit to change it to dyneema rope. The dyneema rope fair lead is basically a flat smooth slot so it would not protrude.

On the other hand I just remembered that I took the 2 stock rubber bumper pieces of the front of the bar when I was working on it, so with those put back on they would be protruding the most. Making it a GREY area of the law. :confused:

As for the number plate, from a standing position you can read it as close as a metre away before it gets obstructed by the fair lead. So hopefully no issues there.

Cheers

MrWickid
25-10-12, 06:07 PM
What a tease! That is exactly what I have been looking for, and my exact bull bar too. If you ever go into production let me know, I'll be your first customer as I too do not wish to replace my bull bar, but do desperately want a winch.

my.paj
10-12-13, 11:19 AM
I am curious as to how the bolt was fitted in pic 3 post 11, did you use a crush tube? and the same for bolt at bottom inside the rail.
Rick

Herman4x4
10-12-13, 12:04 PM
Gday Rick,
In pic 2 it looks like there is a tube between the winch crandle and bracket.. You can see it near the earth clamp.
Cheers,
Andrew.

my.paj
10-12-13, 09:33 PM
That tube is for the bar mounts, in this mount you will find it has 2 bolt holes on each side that look like they go through the chassis.
Rick

Shakey1080
11-05-16, 12:37 PM
Hi haydent
mate i have a nl pajero with a alloy bullbar non winch compatible
my question is how's your setup holding up to the use
plus was it hard to do any advice or tips
you dont have any measurements i need to keep in mind

Many thanks daz

Herman4x4
11-05-16, 12:40 PM
G'day Shakey1080,
It was HaydenT that fabricated up the winch cradle. I have a ARB winch bar.
Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Shakey1080
11-05-16, 12:46 PM
Yeah i just noticed that sorry