X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goswazi
    • Apr 2008

automatic transmission shifting trouble

my 1995 pajero 2.8 will shift down when comming to a stop but when traveling down hill it will automatically shift back up and not maintain back compression, requiring me to use brakes down any hills. what might be the problem and solution
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

That's normal for an auto, unless you select a lower gear manually.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• goswazi
      • Apr 2008

sorry, i should have said that i shift down and it does not hold the gear down.

Comment

• dolphin
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008

when you go down a hill in say top gear [ auto ] try pressing the overdrive button and see if the transmission goes down a gear. also does your engine temp guage seem to drop very low [ cool ] when travelling down a long hill ? if so there is a chance that your engine thermostat is faulty causing auto problems. i had this problem with my NH and as soon as the thermostat was replaced , both the engine ran at a normal temp plus the auto responded just like they should. if you havn,t changed the thermo for a while do it asap then go from there if troubles persist.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• goswazi
          • Apr 2008

when i place the gear selector in first and begin down a hill i feel some resistance as it truely is in first gear, but almost immediately i can feel the resistance realease. i assume it is shifting into second or higher and it feel like the car freewheels down the hill. does anyone know why the car would not stay in first. switching the overdirve button has no affect on this condition

Comment

• wrexed03
            • Jul 2007

Check trans fluid levels. From your description it sounds like it may be neutralizing when its on a large angle eg down a hill there may not be enough fluid in it to keep the hydralics primed... hence the auto neutralises due to lack of trans fluid.

Regards

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X