PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Privacy Glass

Graphite_nw
21-02-12, 01:18 PM
Hi guys... I'm getting delivered a new NW Platinum next week and will get the windows tinted by an aftermarket tinter. As the rear windows are the stained privacy glass is there any issue putting the same darkest legal tint you'd put on the front windows on the back? Is there anything to look our for when speaking with a tinter?

Thanks fellas!

Wrex
21-02-12, 04:24 PM
On our NS the privacy glass does not stop UV light. This was told to us by the dealer and a window tint company. Legally we wern't allowed to put tinting on the privacy glass but instead put a clear tint which cuts down on the UV penetration.

We ended up with darkest legal tint on the front and you can hardly tell the difference.

Nbshortyy
21-02-12, 08:45 PM
Hey mate at work ( I'm a window tinter ) we put a 55% on the privacy glass, it still rejects 99% of the UV rays but doesn't have much heat reduction, whereas we usually put a 35% on the front doors to match it, it comes very close but if asked we put 30% on which is identical to the privacy glass and gives you about 47% heat reduction as well as 99% UV protection ( depending on the product ) we use 3M and suntek which come with a lifetime warranty. Hope this helps

Cheers Marc

Rusty
22-02-12, 07:58 AM
Our NS has privacy glass plus darkest legal tint all around. Tint put on by a well respected company and they had no issues with using the darkest available over the privacy glass.

apsilon
22-02-12, 08:08 AM
On our NS the privacy glass does not stop UV light. This was told to us by the dealer and a window tint company.

I'm afraid they were either ignorant or lying. All modern automotive glass, even clear, will filter at least 50% of UV, many will filter near 100%. Mitsubishi rates the privacy glass at 95% for the side windows and 92% for the rear.

You'll get some benefit from adding further tint or clear UV shield but it's not much.

Hunty
22-02-12, 09:41 PM
G'day there.

Im tint shop owner in SA and I install a film called nano. It's a ceramic based film which has a VLT of 67% and will stop 46% of heat and will also stop 60% of infra red heat. The film is a light film so it won't make the glass any darker. Hope this helps

Hunty

Macster
02-03-12, 06:14 PM
In QLD, the privacy glass on the MY2012 Platinum is actually darker than what's normally allowed in our blessed Nanny state but allowable as it's from the factory. If you added tints on top of this your car wouldn't be classed roadworthy anymore and could therefore be open to all that "will I be covered by insurance crap?"...

Rod-in-ACT
26-03-12, 11:38 AM
Yep I've got the privacy glass on the rear windows of my NP Platinum and I was told that it doesn't help much with the UV. I had the front-door windows tinted the darkest allowed (this film has a UV filter in it) then had a clear UV filter film put on the rear-door windows only (protects the little-un from sunburn). Didn't worry about the windows around the rear luggage area because we never use the 3rd row seat and I'm not too worried if the bags/luggage in the back get a suntan. (-:

Rod