PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat or 2 Pack...

Gus
08-02-12, 09:08 PM
Hi all, I'm going to Powder coat or 2 Pack my Alloy Bar as the old back just isn't in to polishing the bloody thing any more..

What's better/longer lasting & why..

I'm just after opinions.. I'm leaning towards Powder Coating at this stage..

Gus. :beer[1]:

my.paj
08-02-12, 09:43 PM
I was told powder coat is stronger but if you get a ding or scratch it cant be touched up I could be wrong, at least with 2 pack can blend half and get it touched up/painted on the car, after a few years of bush pin stripes ect with 2 pack just drive in panel shop and out in a day but with powder coat it would need to be taken off stripped and redone could take a few days, my 2 cents.
Rick

peter92
08-02-12, 10:06 PM
hi gus, just asked the beater next door and he said go 2pac as ist a lot harder and will be easier to paint if needed, he wouldnt powder coat it
regards peter

achjimmy
09-02-12, 04:59 PM
Hi Gus

I would probaly go two pack as well, but it really doesn't matter. With painting alumiumn it's all in the priming. It needs to be clean as and then etched properly and then either will stick well.

Good luck I only ever had one alloy bar and I swore never again.

Bundyk
09-02-12, 05:27 PM
I would go for the 2 pac as well simply becaues you can touch it up as mentioned. the powder coating process involves spraying via an electrostatic gun and being baked in ultra high heat. the coating is thicker with the powder coating and possibly a little more resistant to stone chips, but with 2 pac you can get the colour to match the car

simonc
09-02-12, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but i am looking to powder coat a second hand winch bar I picked up from this forum (steel). Can anyone recommend a good powder coater in the Melbourne western suburbs and how much I should expect to pay - I guess the bar would need to be sand blasted too. I have one quote at $200.

Thanks.

dolphin
09-02-12, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but i am looking to powder coat a second hand winch bar I picked up from this forum (steel). Can anyone recommend a good powder coater in the Melbourne western suburbs and how much I should expect to pay - I guess the bar would need to be sand blasted too. I have one quote at $200.

Thanks. $200 to coat a winch unit , bugger that. go to a paint shop and buy a tin of Hammer Tone Paint, comes in a few different colours and is very easy to apply by brush with great results plus it dries very hard .

DPP
09-02-12, 08:21 PM
I just powdercoated my alloy bar. Its a textured finish that wont chip like standard powdercoat or paint. Cost me $150.
Awesome finish on it!!

Bundyk
09-02-12, 08:55 PM
G'Day DPP,

Any chance of a pic or two? Where did you get it done?

DPP
09-02-12, 08:59 PM
I got mine done in Cardiff, Newcastle.

I'll definitely get some pics up. I'm in Sydney for work this week but will get some shots up as well as some close up shots so you can see the finish.

Cheers
Mark

Bundyk
09-02-12, 09:00 PM
Cheers Mark. by the way what were your choise of colours?

DPP
09-02-12, 09:07 PM
Funny about that that, I never actually asked about colours. I wanted satin black so never asked. I could find out if you want!!

Bundyk
09-02-12, 09:14 PM
Nah its all good, thanks anyway. Thinking of having mine done, over the constant polishing.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Gus
10-02-12, 11:01 AM
Thanks all, seems which ever way I go the important thing is preparation & a good alloy primer..

Interested in the pics of the textured finish on yours Mark, (DPP)..

Gus. ;)

Gus
21-05-12, 06:37 PM
Have decided to go with 2 Pack will post pics up after job done..

Gus. :)

Gus
31-05-12, 12:15 PM
Very happy with the result, (sorry guys had a brain fade & forgot to charge the camera batteries so no pics of the process).

Here's a couple all done though:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/Picture002.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/gusvin/photo-13.jpg

Gus. ;)

BrisVegas
31-05-12, 12:35 PM
That looks awesome Gus!

Gus
31-05-12, 12:51 PM
That looks awesome Gus!

:beer[1]: mate..

Aussie_Dan
31-05-12, 01:17 PM
Looks very flash Gus!
Cleaning a polished alloy bar is not something I ever wish to have on my list of duties.....
Cheers, Dan.

BrisVegas
31-05-12, 01:30 PM
:beer[1]: mate..

Your thread had given me the idea to do the same, if I could have nabbed this bar cheap....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bull-bar-Genuine-Mitsubishi-Pajero-NM-2001-good-cond-all-mounting-hardware-inc-/261032793156?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc6c45444

LDV60
31-05-12, 04:31 PM
Mate if it was going cheap I would have beaten you to it :)

BrisVegas
31-05-12, 04:42 PM
Mate if it was going cheap I would have beaten you to it :)

hahaha, yeah fair enough. :lol:

My cheap and your cheap are probably worlds apart though. A new ARB is only $1200, so a ratty old alloy bar needs to be very cheap for me to be interested.

Gus
31-05-12, 06:18 PM
Your not wrong Dan, I will not have a plain Alloy bar again that's for sure..

Gus. ;)

AJC
31-05-12, 09:18 PM
Looks very flash Gus!
Cleaning a polished alloy bar is not something I ever wish to have on my list of duties.....
Cheers, Dan.

I don't bother...too busy with life to fussy about the Paj, and the alloy is too muich hassle to keep shiny. Plus its a Paj, not a nice old Triumph 650 twin!

In any event, kids and lack of garage means why bother! About all I do is clean and polish the duco 2 x a year and give the inside a once over.

Otherwise, a good water blast after a trip (mud / salt / dust) and that'll do. I'll give it to a detailer for a tart up before i unload (years away - garage before new car).

Gus
31-05-12, 10:47 PM
That was my problem to AJC just couldn't be bothered anymore.. But I like a clean vehicle when not off road & now being painted & I'll keep it waxed so easy clean...

Gus. ;)

AJS1
04-06-12, 08:36 PM
LOOKS GREAT GUSS ,http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Gus
04-06-12, 08:46 PM
LOOKS GREAT GUSS ,http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Cheers Al, about time you got in that Nissan of yours & headed up this way so we can have a chin wag & maybe a counter lunch...

Gus. :drive[1]: