PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement

Avanner
14-01-12, 09:15 PM
Regarding a replacement Pajero windscreen after a breakage; has anybody had a genuine Mitsubishi windscreen glass fitted, as opposed to an after-market glass? (I have searched threads & posts}

The reason I ask is this: I know the cheaper after-market units usually have some minor distortions, but more importantly I suspect the Mitsubishi glass may be thicker for better noise suppression. This is fact with the Toyota Prado screens, but I don't know about Mitsubishi screens.

I don't know whether insurance companies will cover a requested replacement with original factory glass either.

Has anyone any info or recommendation on this?

Roy..... NP Did Paj

psproule
15-01-12, 06:38 AM
I have heard of a couple of people who after having their insurer fit an Obriens screen, complained of the quality and then demanded (and got) a factory screen. I believe the current screen I got from a local independent (after telling them my disappointment with Obriens product) is as good as a factory one. It has no ripples and has survived two years of plenty of stone strikes that smashed the previous three (obriens) in three years.

Pat

damo1
20-01-12, 05:07 PM
Ive just has an after market screen put in my vehicle about 5-6 weeks ago.

Its awesome and no destortions at all.

It only cost me 200$ fitted by a local windscreen company, i would never use obriens for this reason and this reason only.

When removing the screen its quite common for any windscreen fitter to scratch around under the mould when trying to remove the old glass.

A good windscreen fitter will make sure they brush paint over these scratches to stop any rust occurring as a result of these scratches.

Obriens do not do this they just replace the glass and walk away.

And then 3mths down the track you will have a rust problem as a result.

Where are you located?? I'm in Sydney and can put you onto a mate of mine that is a screen fitter and does an awesome and clean job.

mrbitchi
20-01-12, 05:56 PM
Mines got an aftermarket screen. No problems.

bigfella78
20-01-12, 06:04 PM
I don't know whether insurance companies will cover a requested replacement with original factory glass either.

Has anyone any info or recommendation on this?

I had to force SGIO (nrma or sgic for you easterners) to replace my windscreen with a mitsubishi one.. I suggested we speak to the ombidsman to resolve the issue..

The after market one had a tint band across the top of the windscreen and it impacted my ability to see and drive.. I know they were charged $1700 for it..

brett
20-01-12, 08:58 PM
Replaced mine with a genuine last year, can't remember exact prices but long story short insurance company says go to obriens, asked if I can use my own installer with a genuine screen said yes but may only pay what the obriens quote was. Obriens quote for a chinese screen was a bit over $600. Have a local guy who I'd used before and said he'd do it for half the price of obriens wihout even asking what their quote was, this was for a chinese screen the same used by obriens. Or would fit a genuine one for $140 plus the screen. From memory the genuine screen was about $560 so cost about $700 all up which was close enough for the insurance company and they paid the full amount.

Stevie-Ray
20-01-12, 10:38 PM
Replaced mine with a genuine last year, can't remember exact prices but long story short insurance company says go to obriens, asked if I can use my own installer with a genuine screen said yes but may only pay what the obriens quote was. Obriens quote for a chinese screen was a bit over $600. Have a local guy who I'd used before and said he'd do it for half the price of obriens wihout even asking what their quote was, this was for a chinese screen the same used by obriens. Or would fit a genuine one for $140 plus the screen. From memory the genuine screen was about $560 so cost about $700 all up which was close enough for the insurance company and they paid the full amount.

Most likely the wholesale price of the chinese one is only half that of the geniune, so O'Briens are probablymaking a killing on them! :censored[1]:
Was also going to mention the problem of rust resulting from careless fitment, but also worth mentioning that some of the aftermarket screens have a tinted band at the top which can be a real problem at night if you're a tall person! http://140.99.20.180/forum/images/smilies/smiley_watchout%5B1%5D.gif

Steve :rolleyes:

psproule
21-01-12, 06:17 AM
I had to force SGIO (nrma or sgic for you easterners) to replace my windscreen with a mitsubishi one.. I suggested we speak to the ombidsman to resolve the issue..

The after market one had a tint band across the top of the windscreen and it impacted my ability to see and drive.. I know they were charged $1700 for it..

All aftermarket installers have asked me if I wanted banded or not - they gave me the option. My preference is actually for banded, which is what my NP came with from the factory (I'm 6ft1" by the way).

Stevie-Ray
21-01-12, 07:17 AM
All aftermarket installers have asked me if I wanted banded or not - they gave me the option. My preference is actually for banded, which is what my NP came with from the factory (I'm 6ft1" by the way).

The seats in the gen3-onwards must be lower (or are they hieght-adjustable?), or is it that the roof/windscreen is higher (more headroom?) than gen2? :dunno[1]:

psproule
21-01-12, 05:12 PM
The seats in the gen3-onwards must be lower (or are they hieght-adjustable?), or is it that the roof/windscreen is higher (more headroom?) than gen2? :dunno[1]:

Not sure on the comparison between Gen 2 & 3. The seats aren't really height adjustable - just squab. All I know is it has plenty of headroom where our freelander has none & the seats sit too high. In it's case the band does annoy me.

Boaly
23-01-12, 12:59 PM
Hi

I got a genuine mitsubishi windscreen fitted to our NS, insurance company said it was up to me what brand was fitted. the only set back was i had to wait 2 days for the genuine windscreen to arrive. I even got new genuine dash isolator and rubber surrounds fitted at the same time under insurance

I have RACQ with 1 free windscreen a year on our policy

I have seen what obriens winscreen fitters do to the paintwork on our last car (FPV TYPHOON), scratched the paint work under the windscreen when removing the old glue then when i asked him about the area rusting he said oh dont worry you wont see it once the new screen is fitted. It was a rather poor job i must say.

Stevie-Ray
23-01-12, 01:28 PM
..."oh dont worry you wont see it once the new screen is fitted."

It's only when 18 mths (or so) later you notice the paint bubbling adjacent to the seal, that you realise you've a real :censored[1]: problem that's going to be a :curse5[1]: to fix! That happened to my Pathy after some :censored[1]: threw a brick at the rear side-window (although it was the boss's mate, not O'Briens who replaced it). :mad:

bigfella78
23-01-12, 03:03 PM
All aftermarket installers have asked me if I wanted banded or not - they gave me the option.

I never got the option with the NL.. I'm 6'5 and a bit.. so I only use the top 1/3 of the windscreen..
My misses who is only 5'3 hates that I won't let her put her sunvisor down when I'm driving.. lol

Patagonia
30-01-12, 01:56 PM
Remembered I read that one of the upgrades from NS to NT was the thicker windscreen for aded sound insolation. If it really helps then it would be important to consider thickness when putting and alternative windscreen to any car.

Also, has anyone putted an NT windscreen to an NS? Would you say its quieter?

regards