PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Replacing costs

UndeadHomer
06-11-11, 03:30 AM
Cracked my windscreen the other day when loading timber bars into the Paj. The replacement costs were asked a few times in the forum afair, so maybe someone might find this posting helpful.

I was quoted 435 AU$ from o'Brien - fitting included. They came out to my place and replaced it within 30 minutes on the next day. Was happy with the service and all looks clean and neat and no windnoises yet.

psproule
06-11-11, 05:00 AM
Mate, I will never go to O'briens again. After shelling out similar dollars to you for thin rippled screens four times over (they all were like looking through a warped mirror and cracked again within 6 months) I got the sh1t's and told my lease company I was taking it to someone else. A local independent windscreen fitter charged half the price for a screen with no discernable imperfections and so far it has done 2 years with nary a chip. When I told him I didn't want the same crap O'Briens had been fitting he knew exactly what I was talking about. A friend had the same experience with another O"briens where his insurance company paid for the screen. He ended up complaining whereby their assessor had a quick look and promptly agreed to refit a factory screen.

Maybe some outlets are better but twice the price for half the quality is not my idea of a bargain.

Pat

mrbitchi
06-11-11, 09:57 AM
Mate, I will never go to O'briens again. After shelling out similar dollars to you for thin rippled screens four times over (they all were like looking through a warped mirror and cracked again within 6 months) I got the sh1t's and told my lease company I was taking it to someone else. A local independent windscreen fitter charged half the price for a screen with no discernable imperfections and so far it has done 2 years with nary a chip. When I told him I didn't want the same crap O'Briens had been fitting he knew exactly what I was talking about. A friend had the same experience with another O"briens where his insurance company paid for the screen. He ended up complaining whereby their assessor had a quick look and promptly agreed to refit a factory screen.

Maybe some outlets are better but twice the price for half the quality is not my idea of a bargain.

Pat

x2

Had exactly the same a couple of years ago.

SimmoT
06-11-11, 10:45 AM
x3 - Wouldn't go near em again......

Recently had mine replaced by a local mob and it only cost $400........and that's in the Kimberley where EVERYTHING is always more expensive!!!!

.......ok, everything but fresh barra...:nana[1]::lol9[1]::lol9[1]:

Cheers :beer[1]:

Simmo

MickyDeee
06-11-11, 12:15 PM
Cracked my windscreen the other day when loading timber bars into the Paj. The replacement costs were asked a few times in the forum afair, so maybe someone might find this posting helpful.

I was quoted 435 AU$ from o'Brien - fitting included. They came out to my place and replaced it within 30 minutes on the next day. Was happy with the service and all looks clean and neat and no windnoises yet.

Why on earth didnt you get some comparision prices , OB'S are the most expencive windscreen company in any metro area.Depending on what area you are I would got it done for you for less than 300 dollars.

Mike.

sharkcaver
06-11-11, 12:21 PM
Why on earth didnt you get some comparision prices , OB'S are the most expencive windscreen company in any metro area.Depending on what area you are I would got it done for you for less than 300 dollars.

Mike.

I either need a repair or replacement. Got any leads to share?

Thanks,

Shane.

Aussie_Dan
06-11-11, 12:53 PM
Shane,
I had the windscreen replaced in my 2005 Camry by Complete windscreens at a cost of $190 in 2009 and only back in May I had the screen changed in the Paj by Instant windscreens under insurance. I suspect the actual cost for the insurance job on the Paj would have been around the low $200's though.
You definately have Instant Windscreens in Perth, perhaps give them a call or shoot them off an email for a quick quote?
Dan.

psproule
06-11-11, 01:32 PM
Should have mentioned the price from the independent - $275 just on 2 years ago. They picked it up after a service at MM and gave it back to me the next day.

my.paj
06-11-11, 02:38 PM
Here in melb mine cost $165 last dec but I have known the guy for many years.
Rick

Herman4x4
06-11-11, 06:52 PM
I had RACV do mine and it was about $190, you get a discount for how many years you have been a member. Also, you get a 12 month replacement warranty, which was good as I got a stone chip about 6 months after replaceing it, and they came out and replaced it free of charge! Can't knock that, 2 screens for about $190.

Goodsy
06-11-11, 07:19 PM
No idea who did mine. Rang the insurance company and told them where the PJ
would be. Jumped into it at the end of the day and it had a new screen.:lol9[1]:

CraigFox
06-11-11, 09:16 PM
I had RACV do mine and it was about $190, you get a discount for how many years you have been a member. Also, you get a 12 month replacement warranty, which was good as I got a stone chip about 6 months after replaceing it, and they came out and replaced it free of charge! Can't knock that, 2 screens for about $190.

Herman4x4

RACV windscreens is run by Glass Assist who is making moves nationally to be a big player by having connections with all the auto clubs in each state.
Check out the sponsorship on the Kelly Racing team cars!
Glass Assist have a 1300 number for all national enquiries and do repairs and replacements.
I have used them a few times and been very happy with service and price, and will use them again!

Lazarus
06-11-11, 10:56 PM
A $160.00 from local guy.

xflamedancer
07-11-11, 06:53 PM
I'm on my 4th windscreen in six years, all replaced by O'Briens and Insurance (due to stone cracks) and I can't complain about any of them. The service two in Brisbane and one in Perth) was excellent and I haven't had any issues with any of the fittings or service

Herman4x4
07-11-11, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up Foxy. Will be using them next time I need a new screen, I think they are cheap and ofer a warranty that would be hard to beat.

Shogun 2000
08-11-11, 09:04 AM
why havnt you got windscreen cover on your insurance, ive had 2 replacements in the last 6 months due to rocks flying up from passing vehicles. didnt cost a cent. free windscreens for life of owning vehicle.

Avanner
08-11-11, 09:15 AM
Ditto here re O'Brien's windscreens being poor grade with distortions. Add to that poor installation through insufficient adhesive....now creates noise over a surface where the vehicle body twists.

Shogun 2000
08-11-11, 09:39 AM
Ditto here re O'Brien's windscreens being poor grade with distortions. Add to that poor installation through insufficient adhesive....now creates noise over a surface where the vehicle body twists.
depends on the screen, wether its genuine mitsubishi or aftermarket. i had a left frond\t window replaced in my 2001 magna and they used aftermarket but the curve was too much and the door wouldnt close so they put genuine in it and all was good.

miraclepictures
08-11-11, 10:07 AM
I had mine done by O'Briens last week. I claimed mine through insurance (NRMA) who charge around $70 a year extra premium to have 'free' windscreen/window replacement.

O'Briens are NRMA's preferred windscreen company.

They also came to my place to do the replacement. Windscreen looks good. Happy so far .....

Bennyboy
09-11-11, 08:38 AM
Complete Windscreens for me - I have free windscreen cover on my insurance (given the premium you'd bloody hope so!) Did it at my place, and told me it was about $200 worth when I asked. Nearly 12 months ago and no problems yet...

bigfella78
09-11-11, 12:23 PM
$1700 it cost to replace my screen. I had to wait for it to arrive from Japan...

I cracked it on the powerlines track, They sent Novus out to replace it and replaced the genuine screen with an aftermarket one..

Big blue tint band across the top!!!:censored[1]::censored[1]:

I complained to SGIO that I'm 6'5 and it was unsafe for me to drive as I use the top 3rd of the screen to see...(driving at night was like driving with sunnys on).. I had to threaten to go to the Ombudsman..so they agreed to get me an original..

so they got Skippers Mitsubishi to import a screen for me and swapped it over..:beer[1]:

Herman4x4
09-11-11, 06:12 PM
I haven't got windcreen as this is only my thrid one in 22 years or so of driving. Also, it would only be one a year, so I would have been out of pocket for the sencond screen.

damo1
06-12-11, 01:50 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but i just repalced my screen on the week end it was 200$ fitted.

achjimmy
08-12-11, 01:55 PM
Just had a crack repaired by obriens, Insurance paid but it was $169. I didn't want the hassle of a screen replaced and definetly only want a genuine one, how much are genuine NT screens?

CraigFox
08-12-11, 02:27 PM
Holy s*** ACHJimmy! My chip repair on the work car was $44 inc GST

Once again O'Briens stitching the insurance companies. No wonder we are all paying more for insurance.

brett
08-12-11, 08:36 PM
Just had a crack repaired by obriens, Insurance paid but it was $169. I didn't want the hassle of a screen replaced and definetly only want a genuine one, how much are genuine NT screens?

Had mine replaced with a genuine last year, from memory the screen was around $600. Had a local guy fit it for $140. He could have fitted a chinese one (which they all are if not genuine) for under $300. He says he regularly gets people ringing for a quote after they have a price from obriens and without even asking the price he tells them he'll do it for half the obriens quote.

CraigFox
09-12-11, 09:09 AM
Definitely do not pay any more than $1000 for a genuine screen supplied and fitted. The only other addition maybe for the rubber trim/moulding if required.
A friend of mine that works in windscreens also said you WILL need your VIN when ordering a genuine screen, as there are many different types of NS/NT screens (band colour/rain sensor/light sensor/etc)

91Tourer
09-12-11, 06:47 PM
I have glass insurance included in my insurance. The last replacement cost $300 through Koala glass in newcastle. I seem to be needing a replacement once every second year due to bird or stone issues hence the need for the glass cover.

RustyStainless
22-12-11, 11:10 PM
Holy s*** ACHJimmy! My chip repair on the work car was $44 inc GST

Once again O'Briens stitching the insurance companies. No wonder we are all paying more for insurance.

Once the star chip is over a certain size they wont fill them. So Mr O'Brien says no worries $450 for a new one for your NP. I said no thanks and got one fitted at my place for $225. That was Brisbane northside. I can dig up the name if anyone needs it.

CraigFox
23-12-11, 11:32 AM
Northside Windscreens is also RACQ Autoglass, which is run by Glass Assist Nationally. If you read my previous posts, I highly recommend them over the "big O"!

peejay68au
14-08-12, 09:18 PM
I just did the nj's windscreen, $265 at city autoglass in coffs harbour. It's a lamishield brand screen and no waves or distortions. Blue band on top is funny but I think thats due to being different to the old and not used to it yet. Certainly better than the piece of circus glass that was in it before.

relllik666
21-03-13, 01:18 PM
Just wanted to give a shout out to Wizard Windscreens in Werribee.

Came out to my work in Campbellfield, fitted a new windscreen into out NM Pajero for $210.

Haven't driven it yet, but looks like a neat job. Definitely worth the ring around.

These were the quotes we got.

Instant Windscreens - 132 444 $295 including fitting
National Windscreens 1300 363632 $225 including fitting
Glass Assist 1300 305 206 $245 including fitting
Wizard Windscreens 9360 0809

Mr Windscreen 9470 3038 $275 including fitting

Herman4x4
21-03-13, 03:06 PM
I have used them in the past. They did a really neat job and the prices where really good. I had them do a screen and also change out the cargo windows in an 80 series cruiser from solid glass to the sliders.
Cheers,
Andrew.

reformedjeeper
22-03-13, 07:29 PM
Had mine replaced just prior to Xmas, couple of rocks from a truck on the way home from QLD - done locally - Ballarat Autoglass $195 - surely it can't be $200 worth of freight to WA??

DaveE66
22-03-13, 09:07 PM
I had to replace my windscreen a couple of years ago on my NS. I too would never take my vehicle even close to a windscreens obrien shop again.
Windscreen was s%*t. This was on top of the crap fitment and subsequent 6 attempts to fix it. Sent to another windscreen obriens shop and wasnt 2km down the road and the surrounding rubber fell out.
Took it to my local crash shop who put in a PGI windscreen, never had an issue since.
I believe the screens obriens use are thinner, which from what i understand makes a huge difference to fitment.
Cant remember the cost but it was cheaper than franchise companies.

Dave

Creeky
05-04-13, 07:34 PM
Got a quote today from National Windscreens $245 fitted my location.
Reasonable ?