• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ben D
    • Nov 2007
    • Bribie Island, QLD

3.2 DiD oil leaks

Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 DiD with 188k on the clock. It has just started an annoying slow engine oil leak on the drivers (right) side of the engine which is turning out to be hard to track down. The oil starts to show itself about half way down the block, and with regular driving coats that side of the block and sump and ends up on the exhaust pipe where it crosses under the trans (auto). Has anyone fixed any oil leaks in this location on a 4M41 and if so, what was the culprit ?

From what i can see potential culprits are (in order of most to least likely):
    oil pressure sender, those bolts holding the foam pads on the sump, staked oil gallery passages in the block, the joint between the main cap girdle and the block, sump gasket, the turbo oil return line where it meets the sump.

I have eliminated the turbo itself, the oil filter and upper engine parts (head gasket, rocker cover gasket) as potential contributors. My guess is its the oil pressure sender - has anyone had to replace these before and if so, how the hell do you get these out without taking off the turbo, is it a deep socket job and if so, what is the size socket to use 1" ?

Thanks again for your collective wisdoms

Ben
    2002 NM DiD Auto. 322,000 Km, still going strong
    2010 NT DiD Auto. New toy.
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

The most common oil leak on the 3.2 is the oil pressure switch, there have been a few early posts on this, it can be changed by removing the oil filter and getting hold of the correct spanner
    Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• simoncurly
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide SA

Be gentle doing it up .... stick to recommended torques ...

Comment

• Ben D
        • Nov 2007
        • Bribie Island, QLD

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
        The most common oil leak on the 3.2 is the oil pressure switch, there have been a few early posts on this, it can be changed by removing the oil filter and getting hold of the correct spanner
        Muzza
        Thanks guys, thats what it looks like. I guess its more of a on/off switch than a oil sensor, so we're talking about the same thing. Any idea whether you can replace it with any old switch, or do you have to get rear ended and buy a mitsi one from a dealer ? There are some nice VDO ones around with the same thread for less than $20. Any idea also of the size of the spanner required. Looks tight in there.

Comment

• Macka01
          • Jun 2007

The oil pressure sensor is what it would be. not easy to replace... I replaced one in my old truck (nm DiD) just before i sold it. You'll need to remove the oil filter as mentioned- Lots of bark missing after that one as the edge of the oil filter retainer tends to have sharp burrs. Getting a 26mm i think socket does the job best, as the 25mm i found 'just' didn't fit (the one i had did anyway- and its mentioned on here as well), and a deep socket won't fit. I bought the required socket at the local spareparts, but ended up having to get a mitsi sensor as the back's different than the spare parts guys had. A bit of a difference in price if i recall, and the guy who bought it knew i was replacing it so i got a genuine. I think it was 35 bucks. been a while though.

The new one from mitsi the back can unscrew which is handy and saves you having to bend the tab which could cause it to fracture, but getting the screw on afterwards is nearly as bad, then you need to do it up.. Having the socket just sitting on the wrench- not clicked on helps a lot. It will help to clean the whole place a degrease first (oil filter still on!), as the worst part was everything was covered in oil, which made holding bits at full arms length laying on your back not fun. Getting the thread started was a pain- last thing I wanted to do was cross thread.

Comment

• Ben D
            • Nov 2007
            • Bribie Island, QLD

Thanks for the insights Macka,

Indeed it was the pressure switch. The deep socket/ring spanner size is 26 mm, but I borrowed a special sensor socket from the local mechanic I know which fitted perfectly. I didn't want to remove the oil filter so instead I removed the inlet pipe to the turbo from the air cleaner, two clamps and its off, access from the top not too bad, all done in around 30 minutes.

Part number from Mitsubishi was 1258A002, about $35 bucks, but the new ones are different to the old one that came out, so someone must have got sick of the problem and the engineers modified the part to hopefully fix it for good.

Great not having to use the drip tray and we can go on the beach again without the sand sticking to the oil on the bottom of the engine (yuck).

Comment

• blackjack
              • Aug 2008

please explain

Hi all.
              First post. Please be gentle.

My '02 DiD has virtually the same symptoms as Ben D discribed in his OP.

My question is, where does the oil leak from?
              It sounds as if the pressure switch is inside the housing on which the filter sits.
              Why does the oil escape? (sorry to be so vague if the answer is clear)

I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but it sounds like a trip to a mitsubishi mechanic might be worth the drama of attempting to fix the problem myself.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
              The forum has been of great value.
              Thanks heaps.

Comment

• Ben D
                • Nov 2007
                • Bribie Island, QLD

>My question is, where does the oil leak from?
                >It sounds as if the pressure switch is inside the housing on which the filter >sits. Why does the oil escape? (sorry to be so vague if the answer is clear)

For my experience the oil leaked from the terminal on the pressure switch. The pressure switch is halfway along the the drivers side of the engine block , not really near the oil filter at all, but accessible only if you remove the oil filter or turbo inlet piping.

I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but it sounds like a trip to a mitsubishi mechanic might be worth the drama of attempting to fix the problem myself.

No, If I were you I'd buy the part and approach it from the top like I did (remove the turbo inlet piping) and you may save yourself a hundred bucks or more.

Ben D

Comment

• blackjack
                  • Aug 2008

Rocker cover

Thanks Ben d.

Further investigation shows that the oil is leaking from the rear of the rocker cover, and spreading down the back of the block etc.

Got it booked in for repair next week as i figure the $165 quoted for the job was worth my frustration.

Cheers.
                  Mark.

Comment

• CATs 4x4
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Centurion South Africa

For what it is worth. I have a VERY slow leak on my 3.2 Did which the mechanics at Mitsu recon to be the crank shaft seal. To fix it the gearbox(or engine) needs to come out. I have left as is but will fix it when I get a new Clutch fitted. The Pajero has 173000km on the current clutch so might as well do both at the same time. In the mean time I live with the leak, which is more like a sweat, dripping about two drops a month in my garage. I have not been under the vehicle to check it out myself, but they have been giving me warnings about it on the last three services, so I hope they are right.

CATs

CATs
                    2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
                    (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
                    2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
                    2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• mrbitchi
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by CATs 4x4 View Post
                      For what it is worth. I have a VERY slow leak on my 3.2 Did which the mechanics at Mitsu recon to be the crank shaft seal. To fix it the gearbox(or engine) needs to come out. I have left as is but will fix it when I get a new Clutch fitted. The Pajero has 173000km on the current clutch so might as well do both at the same time. In the mean time I live with the leak, which is more like a sweat, dripping about two drops a month in my garage. I have not been under the vehicle to check it out myself, but they have been giving me warnings about it on the last three services, so I hope they are right.

CATs

CATs
                      A bottle of Nulon Engine Stop Leak might help. Had (have) a similar issue on the Statesman and that slowed it down significantly.
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• CATs 4x4
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Centurion South Africa

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                        A bottle of Nulon Engine Stop Leak might help.
                        Thanks mrbitci

So far it isn't a mayor hassle so I will live with it until I get the clutch done which seems very hard on the knees lately, so probably on it's way out in any case.

CATs
                        2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
                        (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
                        2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
                        2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• brett
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Just noticed a very similar leak, mine's running down the drivers side of the bellhousing and finishing on the exhaust as it crosses over. Took the turbo inlet hose off and can see the switch but it looks dry and clean. Also oil on top of the bellhousing on the drivers side but from what I can tell the back of the head is clean so doesn't look like a rocker cover gasket. So I've given it a degrease and will wait and see where it reappers from.
                          Have any of the oil pressure switch failures been on NP's or are they all NM's.

Comment

• blackjack
                            • Aug 2008

back to the drawing board.

Got the rocker cover gasket replaced.
                            It's lovely and clean now, but the oil is still leaking merrily away.

I think the mechanic went for the easy/simple option first. Pitty it was out of my pocket.

I'll have a crack at removing the turbo inlet hose and see what I can see.

Comment

• brett
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

Even with the turbo inlket hose removed it wasn't that easy to see the sensor, it's on the block behind the turbo, but at the correct angle you can just see it and mine looked ok, no sign of any oil.
                              Where exactly do you see the oil, is there any up near the top of the bellhousing

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X