• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Endorphin
    • Jun 2007
    • Australia

Fitting diff breathers

I'd be grateful for any advice on fitting diff breathers to a Gen 3 (NM). I know where to find them but am unsure on the best materials to extend them with and the best path for that matter.

From the old forum I seem to recall that some people extended them into the air filter box. I assume you had to drill into the box and fit a grommet to pass them through.

Any photos would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Mike
  • Adza
    • Jun 2007
    • Canberra

I just used some rubber fuel pipe (I can't remember if it was 8 or 10mm) ran the rear along the rails to the front and the front one from the end of the breather both up to the top of the engine bay. Ended them with 2 fuel filters.

Don't put them in the box... you'll introduce more holes for water to get in.
    Ąđżą aka Adam
    2004 NP Pajero
    Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

• Endorphin
      • Jun 2007
      • Australia

Originally posted by Adza View Post
      I just used some rubber fuel pipe (I can't remember if it was 8 or 10mm) ran the rear along the rails to the front and the front one from the end of the breather both up to the top of the engine bay. Ended them with 2 fuel filters.

Don't put them in the box... you'll introduce more holes for water to get in.
      Don't suppose you have a photo of the engine bay you could share with us? Cheers.

Comment

• Gavin
        • Jul 2007

Look at this site

Comment

• Endorphin
          • Jun 2007
          • Australia

Originally posted by Gavin View Post
          Thanks Gavin. This helped. Cheers.

Comment

• john_char
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Perth - Not far north of the River

I have diff breathers on, the only issue was when you run them into the engine bay, the heat from the exhaust manifold melted the hoses, currently looking for more heat resistant hoses.

I ran the hoses to my air box, they're all sealed, so shouldn't be a problem with water ingestion into the air box.

Looking at the gearbox and transfer case breather next, anyone done these?

John
            Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

• Adza
              • Jun 2007
              • Canberra

Hence the reason I used fuel hose....
              Ąđżą aka Adam
              2004 NP Pajero
              Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

• 6G74
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by john_char View Post
                I have diff breathers on, the only issue was when you run them into the engine bay, the heat from the exhaust manifold melted the hoses, currently looking for more heat resistant hoses.

I ran the hoses to my air box, they're all sealed, so shouldn't be a problem with water ingestion into the air box.

Looking at the gearbox and transfer case breather next, anyone done these?

John
                Ive done the tfc / gearbox breather on mine, it was so simple its not funny. The standard breather is shared between the tfc and box, it runs up to the top of the bell housing on the drivers side and bolts to a bracket in between the motor and the gearbox. All i did was extend it up the firewall.

Comment

• Endorphin
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Australia

Originally posted by 6G74 View Post
                  Ive done the tfc / gearbox breather on mine, it was so simple its not funny. The standard breather is shared between the tfc and box, it runs up to the top of the bell housing on the drivers side and bolts to a bracket in between the motor and the gearbox. All i did was extend it up the firewall.
                  Did you do this on a Gen III?

Comment

• 6G74
                    • Jun 2007

No, but from the gen 2's with either the 3.5 or 2.8 until now, the gearbox / transfercase breather is still the same, and in the same spot.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X