PDA

View Full Version : Underbody Protection / Rustproofing

SimmoT
01-06-11, 11:49 AM
G'day All,

I've been tentatively looking at some options for protecting the underside of the Paj before I head up north.

From a lot of reading I've done I'm starting to get the feeling that the electronic methods on the market are great in theory but not hugely practical for a whole car.

I've also been one of the types that has been happy to chuck the hose under the car for a while after any beach trips to get rid of salt spray etc. but realise the red dust and mud up north is a bit harder to get off and can be equally as corrosive if not more so......

So below is some info from a couple of companies I've gotten quotes off. I'd really appreciate any feedback/info from anyone that has some knowledge on the products or experience having had them applied to your own car.

Tint-A-Car
1) XL695. Described as tacky/flexible, with "self-healing properties" that will reseal over affected areas. Hence it's not susceptible to chipping and requires no annual checks for warranty (handy as driving 3000km to Perth each year would wear a bit thin....) $765
2) Corlar 2.1 A two-pack epoxy. Very effective in highly corrosive environments. Susceptible to chipping. Would require regular checks. $1095

Beam
1) Heavy Duty Spec 2. Bituminous application. Hence susceptile to chipping and requires annual checks for warranty. $895
2) Ultratect Ducor 2 pack epoxy. Basis of their Minespec 7. No servicing and apparently lasts forever. (Had a mate describe it as like having the underside powdercoated with really tough material about 8 times....??) .......wait for it.........$1800

A fair bit of difference there eh!!!! I'm gonna have this car till it completely dies - buying it was a trade off for any overseas junkets, i.e.: explore Aus and not the world - so if some of these products are as good as they seem I might be comfortable with the "investment".

But are they really that good???:dunno[1]:

Looking forward to hearing any experiences or insider knowledge ;):lol9[1]:

Cheers:beer[1]:

Simmo

Thomo238
12-07-11, 11:04 AM
Heh Simmo

Where do you find this in Perth??

Ultratect Ducor 2 pack epoxy. Basis of their Minespec 7. No servicing and apparently lasts forever

This could be interesting..my cars getting beaten up off road as this looks the goods as I am keeping this car also.....cheep insurance i say!!

achjimmy
12-07-11, 09:05 PM
Never thought of coating the bottom but the way they get blasted it's a good idea.

On the boat trailer I use a valvoline product called tectel it's a kero based waxy substance you apply with a kero gun. It sets but stays soft/tacky It does need reaplication but nothing rusts once it's covered. About $70 4 litre can. Probaly nothing like what you mentioned above but another option for people not wanting to spend big. I am sorry I didn't think of it when the car was new.

dolphin
13-07-11, 04:58 PM
really for those quoted amounts for underbody protection, you would be better off diong the job yourself and still end up paying alot less dollars plus you have these to keep; 2 x h/d car ramps $100
1 x air compressor unit $200
1 x underbody spray gun $35
4 x 1.5 litre underbody black or grey $100
total = $435

i have done my own underbody work on all my vehicles for some years after seeing another vehicle get done by some backyard pro that was it for me .
when you do the work yourself you know exactly what has been sprayed plus what should not have been sprayed ie; transfere / box etc etc.

the product i use is made by Sepatone and comes in disposable 1.5 litre screw on cans to suit the underbody gun, it is a bitumous type material the same as used under mud guards and sticks like you know what. the gun gives a splatter type feed out and you can build up the coating as much as you want, also theres no mess to yourself by applying this whilst lying on your back under vehicle.
only preparation needed is a good underbody wash so all is clean as and most car wash service places such as car lovers etc etc have this high pressure unit. so think about this and think about the handy tools you will have for future works.:drive[1]:

pabz
21-07-11, 08:30 PM
I had my first Subaru 15 years ago done with the black tar like stuff from Enrust in Geraldton..It was $600 back then and it is as good as they say it is..My friend still has my old Subi and the bottom and under guards still look like there coated in the stuff and its still tacky and never been done since...
i actually did some more myself to it but and soaked all the inside door panels and holes, bonnet etc that I could find with fisholene oil aswell just to make sure and still to this day the subi looks a million dollars...No rust and well maintained..
Definately thinking of this before I go off road in the new NT paj
money well spent I rekon.

Traveller43
21-07-11, 08:36 PM
If you are doing a full under body spray what happens to grease nipples, diff breather tubes, oil sump plugs, etc?

Do they just get covered then you strip the underbody protection away from them when you want to drain oil, apply grease, etc?

John

dolphin
22-07-11, 04:06 PM
If you are doing a full under body spray what happens to grease nipples, diff breather tubes, oil sump plugs, etc?

Do they just get covered then you strip the underbody protection away from them when you want to drain oil, apply grease, etc?

John when the underbody is spray protected all that should be coated is the actual subframe and not things such as sumps / nipples etc etc.
the spray nozzel on these guns are very directional not like a normal spray gun where the fan is open . any fittings are normally taped up before spray work and un taped when spray is completed.

SimmoT
25-07-11, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Unfortunately the big move is already done, so it'll be a while before the car does a trip down to Perth again:lol9[1]:

Will have a look at some local options now!

Cheers:beer[1]:

Simmo

Dion
22-08-11, 09:45 PM
I had an ERPS system in my Jeep and I believe it worked well.

But then again I also washed it meticulously after every trip to the beach.

For my Pajero, it will get an ERPS system and I will continue to wash it thoroughly. For trips longer than 1 day, I'll also spray some lanotec underneath before I head over.