PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket seats on suspension-bases?

Stevie-Ray
21-05-11, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone fitted aftermarket seats, (SAAS, Recaro, Monza, etc), to the suspension-bases on the gen2 (different to gen1s)?
If so, did you have any problems other than over-coming the fact that the seat needs a method of lifting it to a higher position on the runners to accommodate the gas-shock?

Steve ;)

Pete
21-05-11, 07:42 PM
A proper truckie or captains chair? I would buy one in a flash... :)

Angry
21-05-11, 09:28 PM
In fitted a Recaro Ordthopedic to my NS, bought a mount/base off the Idealseat Co in Melbourne.

When I removed the old seat I couldnt believe the floor was so uneven, lumps everywhere against the tranny tunnel, & the mount for front to back had to clear a lump in the floor, think its from the transfer case.

Good luck it would be a nightmare to make, I fitted the same recaro about 6 yrs ago inot a Magna, couldnt buy a mount then & that was a nightmare.

Trust me the Pajero is a bigger one !! buy the mount for I think $180 / $200 saves you heaps let alone being compliant with ADR

Stevie-Ray
21-05-11, 10:51 PM
In fitted a Recaro Ordthopedic to my NS, bought a mount/base off the Idealseat Co in Melbourne.

When I removed the old seat I couldnt believe the floor was so uneven, lumps everywhere against the tranny tunnel, & the mount for front to back had to clear a lump in the floor, think its from the transfer case.

Good luck it would be a nightmare to make, I fitted the same recaro about 6 yrs ago inot a Magna, couldnt buy a mount then & that was a nightmare.

Trust me the Pajero is a bigger one !! buy the mount for I think $180 / $200 saves you heaps let alone being compliant with ADR

Thanks Angry, but as I'm using the original bouncy-bases, the floor isn't the problem. The std GLS seats are mounted to runners on top of the bases, however the std seats have deep skirts that accommodate the short gas-shock which sits almost vertical from the base & attached at the top to a sort of hoop above the level of the runners.

I figure that I need to use some square or rectangular tubing of reasonable thickness steel between the runners & the seats I've bought. That also means I can drill the holes to suit, so the spacer-tube becomes an adapter-plate for the bolt holes that don't line-up. Only other matter is re-attaching the slide-release cable (something wagons don't have) to the forward-tilt bar at the rear of the new ones.

I'll try & document with pics when I fit them, however, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has done a similar fitment so I know what to avoid or watch out for. :smiley_watchout[1]:

Steve ;)