PDA

View Full Version : Nolathane Bushings ... any good?

Pedro
20-05-11, 10:17 AM
I'm just replacing my front axle on my NJ and noted the diff mounting bushes are not in very good condition.
Mitsu want $117 each (there's 3 of them).
I've seen Nolathane do ones for $70 each but I've read elsewhere that Nolathane is too hard for 4WDing and tend to split very quickly.

Any comments or other suggestions?

m1s3ry
20-05-11, 06:59 PM
I've heard the same, OEM rubber bushes are the go if they are available.

mr moose
20-05-11, 07:17 PM
I have been lead to believe that nolathane bushes were originaly used in performance cars, the idea was that because they are stiffer you have a better feel for the handling and thus better control of your car on the track. I don't think this applies to offroading or corrugated roads, So i would say what you are hearing is probably correct. If you do decide to go the nolathane route (saving a few hard earned biccies for other projects) then don't forget to gease up the moving sides of the bushes.

cheers

Stevie-Ray
22-05-11, 08:55 AM
I have been lead to believe that nolathane bushes were originaly used in performance cars, the idea was that because they are stiffer you have a better feel for the handling and thus better control of your car on the track. I don't think this applies to offroading or corrugated roads, So i would say what you are hearing is probably correct. If you do decide to go the nolathane route (saving a few hard earned biccies for other projects) then don't forget to gease up the moving sides of the bushes.

cheers

You're correct in in how they were originally, but Nolathane bush technology has come a long way since the early days & are far superior to rubber in many ways. They are no longer made so hard & stiff that they split, plus if they squeak, they've probably been incorrectly greased! :disappointed[1]:
http://www.nolathane.com.au/faq.php

A previous owner had fitted them to my shorty, & I noticed when I was test-driving several Pajeros before buying mine, that there was certainly an improvement over the rubber! :)

Steve ;)

mr moose
22-05-11, 09:52 AM
You're correct in in how they were originally, but Nolathane bush technology has come a long way since the early days & are far superior to rubber in many ways. They are no longer made so hard & stiff that they split, plus if they squeak, they've probably been incorrectly greased! :disappointed[1]:
http://www.nolathane.com.au/faq.php

A previous owner had fitted them to my shorty, & I noticed when I was test-driving several Pajeros before buying mine, that there was certainly an improvement over the rubber! :)

Steve ;)

So you'd recommend them in 4x4's? I have always replaced rubber with nolathane in my other cars and noticed the difference. However the last thing you want is an undercarriage failure 1200K from nowhere. I am new to 4x4 and aboout to replace some bushes under mine.

Gus
22-05-11, 10:01 AM
I replaced my front bushes with Nolathane a while back.. I tend to agree with Steve not like they use to be.. I'll also use them on the rear when the time comes.

Gus.

nj swb
22-05-11, 10:05 AM
I'm just replacing my front axle on my NJ and noted the diff mounting bushes are not in very good condition.
Mitsu want $117 each (there's 3 of them).
I've seen Nolathane do ones for $70 each but I've read elsewhere that Nolathane is too hard for 4WDing and tend to split very quickly.

Any comments or other suggestions?

Mine is at the mechanic at the moment, to have these bushes replaced. I'm paying for the genuine rubber, as I concluded that these three bushes are important for isolating front axle vibration from the chassis, and I expect urethane bushes to be made stiffer than the OEM rubber.

When the rear diff bushes were replaced, they installed urethane without asking me. I can't say I've noticed a difference from rubber.

ngwagon
22-05-11, 10:20 AM
Nolathane bushes tend to squeak a lot swell.. I would go the rubber for sure

Goodsy
22-05-11, 11:36 AM
Past experience with Nolathane for me resulted in shattered bushes. I went back to rubber.

If they have improved over the last 10 years I might consider them.

peejay68au
23-05-11, 04:30 PM
I'll also use them on the rear when the time comes.

Gus.

I just replaced the trailing arm to chassis bushes last night. Used the superpro bushes from fulcrum suspension, they are supposed to be good like nolathane and be similiar to rubber in properties. Tightened up the rear end nicely from the dick in a gumboot sloppyness to the diff sitting where it should.:lol9[1]:

Pedro
23-05-11, 06:27 PM
Seems like a mixed bag of responses.
To replace with Nolathane and then have to do it again soon after is not my idea of fun.

I think we may be getting a difference of opinion based on which bushings have been replaced.
Those which take a both a torsional and axial load (eg Diff mounts), I suspect are subjected to much more forces than say shockie bushings and would more likely split sooner.
I am talking about front Diff mounts
Anyone had recent success using nolathane on these?