• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Cryovacs, what have you sucked:)

Well I purchased a cryovac, vac sealer, food saver or whatever you wish to call it yesterday. I went a mid range 28cm with either full auto or full manual control and a vac port for canisters. Not really planning on using the canister.

Main reason was to keep my meat sealed to stop all those lovely bacterial fluids floating around my fridge freezer and to conserve space. I didn't purchase so much for longer term storage due to the freezer. I could have got away with a bag sealer instead, but I can see a multitude of uses for it.

At 110W, it should run off the inverter no worries when I need to restock.

For my upcoming northern jaunt, I will probably vac and freeze all my meat for a couple of weeks or more if freezer room allows. I will probably pre-cook some meals and freeze them too eg, spag bog etc for those longer days on the road. I will probably do a rice cook up and have 6 weeks of individual serves packed in a crate, once on site, heat in the bag and serve. Then there are the snacks to keep the little un amused, popcorn etc. I can see my spare car and trailer keys sealed up and hidden under the vehicle somewhere.

But I would be interested to hear of your experiences and what interesting items, foodstuffs or otherwise, you may have sucked in the past.

Cheers,

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • achjimmy
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Blue Mtns

Hi Shane

We got a Vac sealer a couple of years ago, great things use it all the time, everything in the freezer is vac sealed. My boat spare spark plugs and spare wheel bearings are pre packed with grease and vac sealed, never though of the spare key. Find a good reasonable source on the ribbed bags and they are economical to use too.
    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

My spare front hub assy
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Pete
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

Everything on this list comes vac sealed. http://www.eatathome.com.au/ecommerc...livered-meals/

I have tasted all/most of them and its as if you have just cooked it...cook it in the bag in boiling water and eat from it even. (its not your zip lock sanga bag)

Use those foils trays and then shrink wra it work great too.

What vac machine you guys got and how much?

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Awesome. I knew asking what others had sucked would pay divies.

Now I can store my spare bearings, not get grease and crap everywhere and minimise any chance of brinelling.

BTW, I just got a standard sunbeam. Bout twice the price of ebay items but I have full manual or auto control.

Shane.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• mrbitchi
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Brisbane

Just be careful with bearings if they are the sealed type. You could blow the seals by using vacuum. I just used one of my bags and sealed it without using vacuum for the hub assy.
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
            Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
              Just be careful with bearings if they are the sealed type. You could blow the seals by using vacuum. I just used one of my bags and sealed it without using vacuum for the hub assy.
              Thanks John, good advise. Not sealed so all should be good. I think anything non food should be vac'd with care. That's why I opted for a unit with full manual control. I can control the amount of air removed and its subsequent packaging compression.

Shane.

My Journeys

Comment

• dirtypaj
                • Mar 2011
                • toowoomba

As a butcher i use a cryovac everyday. mind you our 15k piece of machinery is a tad bigger then the homejobs. to date the best thing we've sucked up was a pig skull in a tear proof bag. just,well cause we could =). for anyone using them to store meat, try to avoid leaving for longer than 1 week unfrozen for whole rumps, rib fillet etc. and 3-4 days if sliced.
                nl gls ute, custom barwork, soon to be either turbo 6g74 or ls1

Comment

• Silver Fish
                  • Mar 2009
                  • Adelaide

Thanks Dirtypaj
                  What is your thoughts on vacing before or after freezing meat?

I picked up a manual hand pump type from the camping show and it works a treat and is easy to use when out camping as it is a bit like a bike pump but in reverse. You do have to have their bags but they are then reusable and seem pretty tough and durable.
                  2005 NP Platinum DID, BFGs, TJM T15 Bullbar, IPF Spots, OME 2" lift, GME TX4200, Active tail lights, maxtrax, compressor, Cargo Barrier, TJM Bash plates, Rhino Racks, Rhino basket, ARB Awning, Storage Shelf, Door Table, Engel MR40F, dual battery, PowerTech Inverter, 81L long range tank.

Comment

• dirtypaj
                    • Mar 2011
                    • toowoomba

Originally posted by Silver Fish View Post
                    Thanks Dirtypaj
                    What is your thoughts on vaccing before or after freezing meat?

I picked up a manual hand pump type from the camping show and it works a treat and is easy to use when out camping as it is a bit like a bike pump but in reverse. You do have to have their bags but they are then reusable and seem pretty tough and durable.
                    Its better do it before freezing, as it prevents freezer burn and also lets the bag seal closer to the contours(i think that's the word) of the product without stretching and puncturing the bag. also for things with bone such as t-bones etc, if you don't have access to bone guard wrap a couple of freezer bags around it and just be gentle with the bag, otherwise you will puncture it =)

EDIT. also i don't recommend re-using bags, unless you thoroughly wash the bag out first. as the juices from the previous item can contaminate the meat, sending it sour quicker, and possibly making you sick, which isn't the best thing when your trying to have a good time.
                    nl gls ute, custom barwork, soon to be either turbo 6g74 or ls1

Comment

• SimmoT
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Wyndham, WA

G'day,

Jim put me onto one through crazysales.com called Maxkon. Cheap as to buy so bought a heap of extra bags and rolls (to cut to size).

Once a month or so we buy a big strip of scotch fillet and a big side of rump, cut it all into steaks or stew portions, seal it all and chuck in the freezer. Have done a couple of hundred bags now without any faults!

Have taken it on trips up north where its been rattled around a fair bit I'm sure and no probs. Runs fine off the little gen with everything else at the same time.

My only advice is to make sure any fish fillets are well patted dry beforehand as its hard to get perfect seals when its sucking out water/fluid during the vac stage

Vac sealers = bloody good investment!!! Enjoy!

Cheers

Simmo
                      2010 NT RX DiD Manual, Cooper ST-Maxx 265/70/R17LT, Tow Bar, TJM T13 Steel Bar, Airtec Snorkel, X-Ray Spotties, HD Kings, RAW Shocks, ARB Alloy Roof Rack, Outback Rear Drawers, Icom IC-440 UHF, TJM DBS Dual Battery System, 60L LRA Aux Tank, BushSkinz Bashplates and Sliders, Polyairs, 2.5m TJM Awning, OX 9500lb Winch.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X