• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Natator
    • Jan 2011
    • Brisbane

Rear storage - different design

Hi all

I have just completed my rear storage for the Paj. It's the biggest project like this I have ever attempted and I am very happy with how it worked out.

I had a couple of things that resulted in the design I came up with .....

1) Must still be able to attach child seat restraints

2) Must still have access to under floor storage

3) Must be simple to remove/replace, 5 mins max (actually ended up being about 2 mins

4) Was mixed on if I wanted drawers or plastic bins I could remove with the contents in place for camping etc. Solution ... one of each.

Points 1 & 2 meant I could not have x2 full length drawers. Solution was the third compartment you'll see and having just one drawer and one plain storage area.

The storage area on the left was made to exactly fit, very snugly, a plastic bin whatsit (Bunnings). I then bought x3 of these and can have them pre-loaded (i.e. a camping box, a hunting box etc.).

One, unplanned part of the project ended up making this far better than I thought it would be. I removed the cover for the underfloor storage area and found the box didn't then sit flat. Using the lid I'd removed I made a template in 12mm ply, cut an access hatch, and attached this securely to the base of the original box. The result ... you slide in the whole unit and it drops nicely into where the underfloor storage lid was ..... as a result the entire system is held beautifully in place, it doesn't shift a mm In the third photo you can see this as the wood is slightly lighter.

Ok, photos in next post.
    2007 NS DiD GLX, Auto. ECB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Parrot Handsfree, Spotties, Sliders, Rear Storage System, Bash Plates, Dual Battery, Roof Stuff.

RIP: Lost in 2011 QLD floods - 1995 NK GLX 2.8D, 5-speed Manual. ARB Bullbar, Spotties, Cargo Barrier, Tow Bar, Turbo Timer.
  • Natator
    • Jan 2011
    • Brisbane

Early build stages

Early build stages
    Attached Files
    2007 NS DiD GLX, Auto. ECB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Parrot Handsfree, Spotties, Sliders, Rear Storage System, Bash Plates, Dual Battery, Roof Stuff.

RIP: Lost in 2011 QLD floods - 1995 NK GLX 2.8D, 5-speed Manual. ARB Bullbar, Spotties, Cargo Barrier, Tow Bar, Turbo Timer.

Comment

• Natator
      • Jan 2011
      • Brisbane

Mid construction

Mid construction
      Attached Files

Comment

• Natator
        • Jan 2011
        • Brisbane

Completed

Completed
        Attached Files

Comment

• Uncle Fester
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Boambee East NSW

Looks good M8. I like the hatch idea. One quesion I have is do you put a fridge in there anywhere and if so where.
          NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Natator
            • Jan 2011
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
            Looks good M8. I like the hatch idea. One quesion I have is do you put a fridge in there anywhere and if so where.
            Unfortunately I don't have a fridge. However, it would be really very easy to put a set of runners for a fridge on top

Comment

• Calspec
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • SA

Looks really well done.

I have just remade my own storage unit. My original one was very similar to yours but I decided to alter the design due the fact the wife couldn't see inside the fridge (which was just tied down on top). Overall storage capacity has not been effected much.

Used the same drawers from the original unit.
              Attached Files
              01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• amr75wcr
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by Natator View Post
                Unfortunately I don't have a fridge. However, it would be really very easy to put a set of runners for a fridge on top
                If you are in need of a fridge I have a 40 lt Primus surplus to my requirements. It wouldn't fit my camper
                04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• Calspec
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • SA

One thing that I was very mindful of was the need to remove the drawers very quickly if needed, to access the LPG shut-off valve underneath. Unit is well secured and doesn't move but can be slid out in only a few seconds if needed.
                  01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• entropy
                    • May 2009
                    • NSW Lake Macquarie

Looks good Natator. Can you describe or post up a picture of how you've secured the storage unit so that it stays put in the event of accident?

Calspec, it looks like you're using the luggage tie downs to hold yours in place, is that right?

cheers
                    Current ride
                    Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE with factory diff lock.

Gone but not forgotten
                    NT SWB X DiD in Cool Silver

Comment

• Natator
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by amr75wcr View Post
                      If you are in need of a fridge I have a 40 lt Primus surplus to my requirements. It wouldn't fit my camper
                      Would be very interested but have really badly stuffed up finances unexpectedly so am on a complete spending freeze

Comment

• Natator
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        Looks good Natator. Can you describe or post up a picture of how you've secured the storage unit so that it stays put in the event of accident?
                        It is really well secured, if I hit anything hard enough to dislodge it I would have far bigger things to worry about than the storage

Three things keep it securely in place ....

1) The base fitting into the storage lid hole. This is a very good/tight fit. It doesn't allow for any horizontal movement at all. Having zero movement also prevents it picking up it's own momentum.

2) Under the front storage section, that runs across, there are the three child seat points. There are three bolts (longer than the original as had to allow for the thickness of the base) through the base of the system that lock it down tight here.

3) There is a tie down point in each of the rear corners of the Paj, which is under the flaps of the sides of my box. I have secured anchor point on the sides of the box, under those flaps, just below the top. These are then attached using (sorry, not sure what they are called) those screw things you often see used to tension cables. Currently (as I only finished this today) they are attached to the original cargo flip up whatsits, but I want to replace them with something a little stronger.

Basically, therefore, point 1 secures it nicely and 2 & 3 mostly prevent it from jumping out from that in an accident.

Last edited by Natator; 21-03-11, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Natator
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Calspec View Post
                          Looks really well done.

I have just remade my own storage unit. My original one was very similar to yours but I decided to alter the design due the fact the wife couldn't see inside the fridge (which was just tied down on top). Overall storage capacity has not been effected much.
                          They look fantastic Calspec. You've done a far neater job than I did.

I just couldn't get the corners of the aluminium edges right for mine. Might not show on the photos but they are not the nice neat fit I'd like.

Comment

• Calspec
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • SA

I have mitred the corners of the aluminium. Looks OK, but by no means perfect. I made two steel brackets that are secured by the child restraint points that the unit just slides in under at the front, and have secured the rear of the unit using over-center catches. These are located just beside the rear luggage hooks, but I have not used them. The overcenter catches have an "R" pin securing them. All that is required to remove the unit is to remove all gear from on top, fold over the wings, pull the pins to release the catches and then two people can then just slide the unit clear of the back.

Thanks for the comments.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Calspec; 22-03-11, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Calspec
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2007
                              • SA

As I have LPG fitted, there is no room under the hood for my second battery so it has to be stored in the back (AGM type). This was previously secured on top of the drawers adjacent where the fridge sat. As this took up a lot of useable speace, I decided to relocate it in my redesign. The battery now resides forward of the lower drawer, which has been shortened to accommodate it. The top drawer is full length (600mm). If required, the battery can be disconnected quickly by accessing it from behind the rear passenger seat, and simply unplugging the Anderson connector.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X