PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wipers grabbing and squealing

Aussie_Dan
19-03-11, 10:06 AM
Gday All.
As the subject suggests, I have an annoying problem with one of my cars. Not the Paj but my daily Drive, a 2005 Camry Sportivo....
I have replaced the wiper blades multiple times over the last 18 months and no matter what I seem to buy and use, they all grab the windscreen making the wiper motion jerky and some blade types also seem to squeal and scream.
I have tried both standard rubber and silicone blades. The set I fitted this week are silicone ones and they have made this problem even worse!
The windcreen needs to be REALLY wet for the wipers to work smoothly and quietly....
Has anyone else out there ever faced this sort of problem and found a solution?
The windscreen was replaced about 2 years ago but this problem did not rear its head straight away. The windscreen is not chipped or weathered in any way. Perhaps the windscreen needs some sort of polish applied to it to help the wipers glide over the surface?
Although the windscreen appears very clean perhaps there is a film of crap on there that I will need to try and somehow manually remove?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Dan.

sharkcaver
19-03-11, 11:29 AM
Dan,

Maybe some tips in here for you?

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=14812&highlight=wipers

I tried mega expensive silicone multi-blades once before.....never again.
I also highly regard rain-x as posted in the linked thread (sure its mentioned in there, haven't re-read before puting this response together). Not very exe and goes a loooong way too. Great for aircraft as well (just a bit hard to stop if it needs that bit of extra buffing:D)

Shane.

brianwanless
19-03-11, 12:54 PM
Make sure the blades are flip flopping as they go up and down. The rubber must be trailing on the up stroke then flop over to trail on the down stroke. Sometimes a bit of adjustment to the arms or the skeleton part of the blade will help.

Aussie_Dan
19-03-11, 01:18 PM
Thanks Guys.
I have used Rain-X in the past on other cars and really liked it.
I will go out and buy another bottle this week and hopefully this annoying problem will be gone!
I will perhaps also get the garden hose out to keep the window wet and turn the wipers on to make sure they are flipping over-center when the direction changes....
Thanks again!
Dan.

Aussie_Dan
20-03-11, 02:54 PM
Well, I bought some Rain-X, applied it and the wipers are now even worse!
The wipers are definately 'flipping over' as the arm changes direction.
I did notice that when buffing off the rain-x, the windscreen felt awfully 'grippy'.
I wonder whether it either needs to be somehow polished or whether this windscreen that was installed in my car a couple of years ago is just of 'questionable' quality?
It has been suggested to me that Brasso caould be used to polish the screen.
Your thoughts?
I may even try a small bit of 'liquid cut and polish' on an inconspicuous part of the screen to see if it leaves any marks and / or makes the screen feel any smoother.
Thanks again, Dan.

sharkcaver
20-03-11, 03:13 PM
Well, I bought some Rain-X, applied it and the wipers are now even worse!
The wipers are definately 'flipping over' as the arm changes direction.
I did notice that when buffing off the rain-x, the windscreen felt awfully 'grippy'.
I wonder whether it either needs to be somehow polished or whether this windscreen that was installed in my car a couple of years ago is just of 'questionable' quality?
It has been suggested to me that Brasso caould be used to polish the screen.
Your thoughts?
I may even try a small bit of 'liquid cut and polish' on an inconspicuous part of the screen to see if it leaves any marks and / or makes the screen feel any smoother.
Thanks again, Dan.

Any polish can help smoothing the windscreen. Depends upon how sever the damage to the surface of the glass is. If its sand blast type damage, you will probably not remove it. Anyway with rain-x applied, you dont need to use your wipers for 6 months now:D

Shane.

Aussie_Dan
20-03-11, 03:26 PM
Thanks Shane.
I will give the screen a good clean, try polish it up a bit.
I will also check to make sure the wiper arms are sitting perpendicular to the screen and give them a tweak if necessary.
The screen is not chipped or sand blasted at all. Maybe covered in a layer of crap that the eye can't see though?
Bloody rotten toyota.... :)

brianwanless
20-03-11, 04:22 PM
Come up to Queensland, mate. I will have a look at them for you. We have had so much bloody rain up here, we are all experts on rain problems lol. Brian.

Wiseowl
20-03-11, 08:23 PM
Gday All.
As the subject suggests, I have an annoying problem with one of my cars. Not the Paj but my daily Drive, a 2005 Camry Sportivo....
I have replaced the wiper blades multiple times over the last 18 months and no matter what I seem to buy and use, they all grab the windscreen making the wiper motion jerky and some blade types also seem to squeal and scream.
I have tried both standard rubber and silicone blades. The set I fitted this week are silicone ones and they have made this problem even worse!
The windcreen needs to be REALLY wet for the wipers to work smoothly and quietly....
Has anyone else out there ever faced this sort of problem and found a solution?
The windscreen was replaced about 2 years ago but this problem did not rear its head straight away. The windscreen is not chipped or weathered in any way. Perhaps the windscreen needs some sort of polish applied to it to help the wipers glide over the surface?
Although the windscreen appears very clean perhaps there is a film of crap on there that I will need to try and somehow manually remove?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Dan.

Hi All
Had the same problem with my Ford Sedan. I replaced the wiper arms that the rubber goes on to not the main arm and that fixed it very quite now.
Cheers Kev

Aussie_Dan
20-03-11, 08:31 PM
Kev, you have hit the nail on the head!
The wiper arms need replacing. They are wobbling around like a dick in a shirt sleeve. All the joints are obviously a bit flogged out. Not too impressed really, as the car is only 5 years old.... But it's okay, its a cheap fix.
I polished up the windscreen with cut and polish and they were still grabbing and noisy. So then I unclipped the wiper arms from the Paj and fitted them onto the Camry, problem solved! The Paj arms are nice and tight.
Mitsubishi to the rescue!
Thanks again guys. I will be out to buy a new set of arms tomorrow.
Dan.

WogsRus
21-03-11, 06:45 AM
I can highly recommend using a glass polish such as Auto Glym product. I use to have the same issue on my NS. My brother had some of the glass polish so i figured i would try it out.

Put some on the windscreen and buffed it with a buffing wheel, the glass had a mirror surface to it, water bedded straight off and the wipers worked a treat.