PDA

View Full Version : Polishing paint work mothers?

achjimmy
03-02-11, 08:49 AM
Hi all

For years always just washed my cars and then applied autoglym polish wax afterwards. Have done this with the pajero but I feel It needs a bit of a cut before the polish or wax is applied.

Autoglym is hard to get whilst in super cheap I picked up some mothers canuburer wax but I now realize it is part of a three step process and I need to get the " cleaner" and 2nd step polish. Is this 3 step process a marketing scam to get to spend $60 on car polish and wax or are the mothers products worth it? They seem to have a good range at super dear and they are convenient to me.

damo1
03-02-11, 02:51 PM
Aye mate we use a brand of canuburer wax at work on its own.

We only use it on dark colors (Black,dark blues/greens, charcols things like that) cause really we find it makes no difference to the lighter colors at all.

But to the darker colors it is an absolute cracker of a product.

We do notuse a 3 step process- but we do do a cut and polish with a buff previous to using it.

This could work the same as a cleaner as it is cleaning all the ground in crud out of the paint work.

Hope this helps

Silver Streak
03-02-11, 05:39 PM
Hi all

For years always just washed my cars and then applied autoglym polish wax afterwards. Have done this with the pajero but I feel It needs a bit of a cut before the polish or wax is applied.

Autoglym is hard to get whilst in super cheap I picked up some mothers canuburer wax but I now realize it is part of a three step process and I need to get the " cleaner" and 2nd step polish. Is this 3 step process a marketing scam to get to spend $60 on car polish and wax or are the mothers products worth it? They seem to have a good range at super dear and they are convenient to me.

Your vehicle, like mine Jim, is not that old, do you think it needs a good going over ALREADY??
I must admit, I have thought I should do something as far as paint protection is concerned, before too long, but thought I shouldn't be too drastic, as the paint, including the clear top coat is not that old.
I did knock back the dealers paint protection package, after reading somewhere on this site, that it's just as easy doing yourself and saving yourself a 1000 bucks or so. Someone on here was a detailer, maybe like the previous poster, so I'll be interested to hear what is best for an almost new car.

Zed
03-02-11, 07:22 PM
I came across these guys,

http://www.ozicozi.com.au/surfacetech/

I havn't used them but they seam to have a few different product on the market, some which sound good for 4WDs that see alot of scrub scratches, Bit more expensive than mothers tho

achjimmy
04-02-11, 07:33 AM
Your vehicle, like mine Jim, is not that old, do you think it needs a good going over ALREADY??
I must admit, I have thought I should do something as far as paint protection is concerned, before too long, but thought I shouldn't be too drastic, as the paint, including the clear top coat is not that old.
I did knock back the dealers paint protection package, after reading somewhere on this site, that it's just as easy doing yourself and saving yourself a 1000 bucks or so. Someone on here was a detailer, maybe like the previous poster, so I'll be interested to hear what is best for an almost new car.

Thanks damo /zed

Silver even though the car was detailed before I picked it up they didn't do the roof! And the body work picks up bits etc in everyday use After the Adelaide trip I had to remove lots of tar spots etc. I prefer to clean the car back to a smooth surface before applying a good quality wax.

I am not a big believer in pain protection schemes, although that link zed found was interesting. The clear protective layer would be awesome in the scrub.

Cams
04-02-11, 07:59 AM
Not long after picking our Platinum up I applied the Autoglym polish, quite happy with just using that, to wash I'll use a wash and wax. Plan to apply polish every 6 months.

Jim, if you have bits on your paint, clay bar is a very effective way to clean the paint without cutting and buffing. As it is not old it might be the way for you to go. Kits are aound 30-35 dollars and can be used many times, just don't drop it.