PDA

View Full Version : spray painting acrylic

craka
01-01-11, 08:08 PM
Got the first base coat on, solid red. Do I need to rub back in between each base coat and each clear coat?

MickyDeee
01-01-11, 11:42 PM
Sorry have to laugh , isnt this a question you should have asked before attempting a job like this.

craka
02-01-11, 05:50 AM
perhaps.

Just after some clarification and opinions, as I've read both. That rub between each coat and another get all the colour coats on then rub back before putting on clear and get all the clear coats on before rubbing that back.

Oracle
02-01-11, 06:45 AM
Craka
Just to clarify, are you using plain acrylic or a clear over base finish?
You should always rub back between coats. Just a wet rub with some 1000 wet/dry will do, unless you have runs etc to get rid of.:)
Personaly on a 4x4 I would not use clear over base, a bugger to spot repair.
With acrylic you can just keep spraying light coats (with a rub in between) to build depth and finish with a cut and polish. Great finish for a 4x4 that will see some bush use as light scratches will polish out.
You can finish acrylic with a clear coat but unless you are after a show car finish, don't bother.
Hope that helps and good luck.

Mick

damo1
15-01-11, 10:29 AM
Craka
Just to clarify, are you using plain acrylic or a clear over base finish?
You should always rub back between coats. Just a wet rub with some 1000 wet/dry will do, unless you have runs etc to get rid of.:)
Personaly on a 4x4 I would not use clear over base, a bugger to spot repair.
With acrylic you can just keep spraying light coats (with a rub in between) to build depth and finish with a cut and polish. Great finish for a 4x4 that will see some bush use as light scratches will polish out.
You can finish acrylic with a clear coat but unless you are after a show car finish, don't bother.
Hope that helps and good luck.

Mick

Mate i aint even gonna comment on this one!! WTF!!!!

Craka email me.

Cheers damo

Oracle
17-01-11, 11:41 AM
Mate i aint even gonna comment on this one!! WTF!!!!

Craka email me.

Cheers damo

From another post!
All this is true- but i do :confused:cosmetic touch ups:confused: for a job and the laws that govern us are different.

Damo
By saying WTF you have commented!!
You are obviously NOT a professional spray painter. Dont try passing yourself off as knowing the trade and what is right and wrong!
We all should only give out advice, not TELL other people they are wrong.
All advice should be given with the IMHO note.

Now I will say WTF and leave others to decide what to think of your posts.

Have a real nice day....and Craka learn by your mistakes..don't let others make them for you.
Good luck with your respray and let us all know how it turns out.

Mick

damo1
17-01-11, 01:27 PM
From another post!
All this is true- but i do :confused:cosmetic touch ups:confused: for a job and the laws that govern us are different.

Damo
By saying WTF you have commented!!
You are obviously NOT a professional spray painter. Dont try passing yourself off as knowing the trade and what is right and wrong!
We all should only give out advice, not TELL other people they are wrong.
All advice should be given with the IMHO note.

Now I will say WTF and leave others to decide what to think of your posts.

Have a real nice day....and Craka learn by your mistakes..don't let others make them for you.
Good luck with your respray and let us all know how it turns out.

Mick

I wrote a legthy response to this but deleted it.

I figured i dont need to explan myself and history in the trade to you- you already recon you have all the answers.

My offer stands Craka

peter92
18-01-11, 09:38 PM
some times advice is given and some people just dont no the differance, may they learn by there mistakes
regards peter

Gus
19-01-11, 10:11 AM
Hmmmm! :smiley_watchout[1]:

damo1
19-01-11, 02:17 PM
some times advice is given and some people just dont no the differance, may they learn by there mistakes
regards peter

I agree totally, but the advice should also be correct and not just a guess from someone who is obviously inexperienced or thinks they know.

Why let someone make a mistake to learn from if the advice and knowledge is valid and would provent it from the start.

And Just to set the record straight for Mick.

23yrs working in the smash repair industry.

12mths doing cosmetic repairs- Mobile Spraypainter (which you must be fully lisenced witha trade ticket)

Fully licenced and and trade ticketed spraypainter for the last 20yrs.

I think that may make me a proffesional in the feild dont you??

Or am i just kidding myself and all the employers i have worked for over the last near 25yrs??

So anyway what where your creds Oracle/ Mick just to set the record straight on your advice??

From another post!

This comment was in regard to laws relating to spraying 2K if you had have dragged the rest of the thread with it ,it would have explained the whole senario not just the comment that you chose to make a big deal of.

Cheers Damo

And by the way sorry for the high jacking of your thread with with this Craka

Gus
19-01-11, 06:25 PM
Ok now back on track..

Let us know how it turns out craka..

Gus. ;)