• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carl burgess
    • Sep 2010
    • WA

Recomended oil

Hi, looking for oil for intermediate service and new to late model common rail diesel engines, i can get Magnatec for a reasonable price which says good for turbo diesel engines. They also recomend magnatec diesel which i cant see on the shelf, seem to contradict themselves because both say for diesel. any recomendations for decent semi synth oil? I will be changing oil and filter at 7500ks and then maybe as per book after 15000ks
    2009 MY 10 Challenger 2.5
  • marquis
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Newcastle

What specs are required? (it's in your user manual)

eg:

CF
    A3/B4
    5W-40
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• schnitzel
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Bendigo

Prime recommendation for these is actually a synthetic, edge sport 5 w 30 if buying retail or Magnatec 5 w 40 if buying in trade quantuty. Second recommendation is then a semi synthetic i.e retail, magnatec diesel or trade magnatec pro 15w 40. the retail magnatec 10 w 40 is third in order of prefferred oils, if you are changing oils on schedule the magnatec diesel would be your best option. if you run over the synthetics are better for you.
      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• colinu
        • Aug 2009
        • Drouin VIC

Hi Guys
        Just had my 15000 service done Frankston Mitsubishi used 15w40 Magnatec to replace my oil
        Regards
        Colin

Comment

• carl burgess
          • Sep 2010
          • WA

Ok thanks, superchesp has Edge sport 5W-30 on special $39.47 so that would be the one

Comment

• LukeS
            • Mar 2010
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by carl burgess View Post
            Ok thanks, superchesp has Edge sport 5W-30 on special $39.47 so that would be the one
            Carl, I know I've said it before but for what its worth I'd check with Mits service department first as they told me that if I didnt use an approved oil and filter it could result in void warranty should something go wrong with the engine..
            Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• jimsiron
              • Feb 2010
              • Mildura, gateway to the outback

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
              Carl, I know I've said it before but for what its worth I'd check with Mits service department first as they told me that if I didnt use an approved oil and filter it could result in void warranty should something go wrong with the engine..
              For what its worth my local Mitzy garage uses Valvoline oils. The dealer also has Kia, Greatwall, Ford, VW and Suzuki in their vehicle range. I think you will find most dealers use any oil they get a deal on, not the manufacturers own oils!
              regards
              Jimsiron
              2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• LukeS
                • Mar 2010
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by jimsiron View Post
                For what its worth my local Mitzy garage uses Valvoline oils. The dealer also has Kia, Greatwall, Ford, VW and Suzuki in their vehicle range. I think you will find most dealers use any oil they get a deal on, not the manufacturers own oils!
                regards
                Jimsiron
                Not the case for the Mits dealer I use. They told me if it wasnt Castrol Magnitec and within 5 SAE it could risk the waranty. Im sure it wouldn't hold up, but not a risk Im willing to run...
                Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by colinu View Post
                  Hi Guys
                  Just had my 15000 service done Frankston Mitsubishi used 15w40 Magnatec to replace my oil
                  Regards
                  Colin
                  I suspect Frankston Mitsubishi used this oil because it's what they have, and they use it on everything. If I drove in with my 300k km 1984 Sigma, in the middle of summer, they'd tell me that's the oil I need too.

If money's a little tight, and you only do long runs, you could probably run that oil through summer. I wouldn't run it through winter. If money isn't an issue, or you do lots of short running (cold engine/oil) I'd use an engine oil closer to Mitsubishi's spec.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• carl burgess
                    • Sep 2010
                    • WA

The handbook seems to have a broad spread of oil weight that can be used depending on temps where you live, as i live in Perth we dont get -0 temps so acording to the book i should use SEA 30 oil which i havnt seen on the shelves. There is no mention of synthetic or semi synth just clasification of oil which i am prety much sure most quality oils comply. I am sure the oil i will supply is of a higher standard than what the dealer will use, so as regards to voiding the warranty that is bull, speaking to a mechanic who used to work a main dealership most of the servicing is done by some numpty who hasnt got a clue anyway so if you supply your own oil at least you can be sure of the quality. Lets face it most dealers are after extracting as much money out of you as they can and are too quick to say " be carefull that could void your warranty " so basically you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont, such is life

By the way on the Castrol site The top oil to use is Edge sport 5W-30

Comment

• schnitzel
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Bendigo

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
                      Not the case for the Mits dealer I use. They told me if it wasnt Castrol Magnitec and within 5 SAE it could risk the waranty. Im sure it wouldn't hold up, but not a risk Im willing to run...
                      It will and does hold up in a court, an oil must meet or exceed the specifications of the manufacturer. All dealers run a range of oils nowadays, typically i supply three main grades in bulk and then two or three other speciality grades to all the dealers i supply, except for the VW ones, to them them it is a whole lot harder, VW and Audi are the most stringent and hardest to keep up to date on specs and use the greatest number of different products.

as long as an oil manufacturer has an oil that has been certified by he manufacturer that it meets their specs it is ok to use whilst under warranty, an oem oil is not mandatory. Castrol only publish oils as suitable after it has been passed by the manufacturer for each model.

Try looking up VW or mercedes on the castrol site and see how many listings say refer to dealer, that is because the manufacturer has not certified an aftermarket oil.

The Magnatec pro 15w 40 does exceed the manufacturers specs, the retail magnatec 10w 40 is further down the list so will be closer to the minimum spec.

the edge 5w 30 is a good choice and definetly exceeds the manufacturers specs
                      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Snoop
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Sydney/Lithgow

My dealer uses 15W-40 shell helix in sydney
                        2010 Mitsubishi Challenger LS manual, ARB deluxe bar, MT ATZ 265/70R17 4rib tyres, GME 3440 UHF, Narva 170 spotlights, Bushskinz bash plates, tinted windows, 40mm OME lift, Rhino roof cage

Comment

• campa_fish
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Brisbane

the dealer i got my car off in brisbane uses Castrol FWX 5w-40
                          2010 challenger LS manual - cool silver. ARB deluxe winch Bullbar, IPF spot light. factory towbar, Safari Snorkel, BFGoodridge All Terrans, GME TX3520 UHF, OME suspension, 9000lb Red Centre Winch, ORS Storage Drawer System, Black Widow Fridge Slide, 2 x 10" BAJA LWD Light Bars, Pro Rack Wispar Roof Rails, Hema Navigator 6, Etrex H GPS, Engel 40 L Fridge.

Comment

• schnitzel
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Bendigo

Originally posted by campa_fish View Post
                            the dealer i got my car off in brisbane uses Castrol FWX 5w-40
                            I would recheck that with him as that is not a Castrol oil.

Comment

• evileerf
                              • Oct 2010
                              • Australia(+61)

I am going to use the Penrite 15-50 semi synthetic. The higher 50 rating gives more protection in higher temperatures and IMO is a better oil than all the options I could find. I paid $80 for 10 litres

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X