PDA

View Full Version : Help...scratched the car..wife NOT happy

dan40d
20-06-10, 06:13 PM
Went bush today in the new challenger and added a couple of new bush stripes when i failed to see a low lying branch whilst looking into the sun. Scratches aren't deep but are noticable on the black paint and SWMBO has the shits big time.

Haven't washed it yet as we got home to late so hoping they don't look as bad then.

Basically i need to get them out, what products are you guys using?? Meguirs Scratch X or Ultimate compound any good??

Cheers,
Dan.

bakerboy
20-06-10, 06:25 PM
the scratch x is really good

amr75wcr
20-06-10, 06:32 PM
Scratch X is the go

Richo-NT
20-06-10, 07:13 PM
Ahh bush stripes! What credible 4WD would be caught dead without them?

dan40d
20-06-10, 07:17 PM
Ahh bush stripes! What credible 4WD would be caught dead without them?

Yeah i think she is over reacting a little bit, we bought the car to use as a 4WD not as a shopping trolley so i figure it's going to get scratched eventually.

Looks like i'm off to Supercrap in the morning to get some Scratch X then.

mrbitchi
21-06-10, 08:27 AM
Yet another good reason to buy white cars. They don't show the scratches anywhere near as much.
Black would have to be the worst colour IMO :p

Eastie
21-06-10, 08:37 AM
probably best to cut your loses now and trade it in on a white one....

Richo-NT
21-06-10, 09:13 AM
I do like my white cars...

...but black does look so cool too! I can understand it

Sean
21-06-10, 09:24 AM
Yet another good reason to buy white cars. They don't show the scratches anywhere near as much.
Black would have to be the worst colour IMO :p

Your spot on there mate. As a young fella my first job was detailing new and used cars for a Mitsubishi dealer. Black and red were always a real bitch to deal with. Not sure abuot now but mitsubishi paint quality back then was SH#@THOUSE to start with. Whatever products you guys use only apply minmal pressure in a circular motion or you can end up making it look even worse. Canuba wax a couple of times a year is areally worthwile thing to do. Keeps it shiny and your mates slide right off when they sit or lean against your truck.

Stevie-Ray
21-06-10, 10:09 AM
Here's some ideas to prevent scratches!

Cheers

Calspec
21-06-10, 11:06 AM
LMFAO

:clap2[1]:

Stevie-Ray
21-06-10, 05:56 PM
LMFAO

:clap2[1]:

Just couldn't resist!!!

Cheers

hinsch
21-06-10, 06:56 PM
Do not use any product that cuts the paint surface, only use a polish. I used a cutting compuund Kitten No1 or 2 on an NJ and it takes the clear coating off eventually and then your paint will look like crap.

markpeh
06-07-10, 11:47 PM
Black is easy! Just use a Nikko pen:)

willsfamilytruck
21-08-10, 03:21 PM
scratches are nothing to worry about, dents on the other hand are different kettle of fish

amr75wcr
23-08-10, 09:27 PM
Black is easy! Just use a Nikko pen:)
So if a Nikko pen is good for black cars, a white out pen would be fine for a white one?

bakerboy
23-08-10, 09:48 PM
Do not use any product that cuts the paint surface, only use a polish. I used a cutting compuund Kitten No1 or 2 on an NJ and it takes the clear coating off eventually and then your paint will look like crap.
polish will still cut it, wax is what you want

smithd0
25-08-10, 12:54 PM
polish will still cut it, wax is what you want

I take it scratch x is a polish?, is there a good wax that people use for minor scratchs
Smithy

Sean
25-08-10, 04:10 PM
I take it scratch x is a polish?, is there a good wax that people use for minor scratchs
Smithy

Canuba wax will not cut out scratches it more or less adds a invisible protective wax cover over the top of the paint. Any car that is well waxed will have a "wet look" to it and water will bead up on it to. You also cant lean against it as it makes the paint slippery.

When i was detaling we used Mothers Canuba wax and was very good.
If you need to remove light scratches just use a normal polish but use minimal pressure in a circle motion in that area and use a nice soft rag or a polish applicator pad. We use to use the old washable nappies ( clean of course ) for most of our detailing needs. Cant stress the light pressure and circle motions enough, really important or you will cut into the paint.

smithd0
25-08-10, 10:16 PM
Cheers Sean, will give it a try.....my son was helping me wash the car, he picked up an old rag off the ground (that had a little sand stuck in it from being on the ground) and proceeded to rub the car as if washing it, leaving a nice little patch of sratches, not that bad though.

Dan, have you got those scratches out yet?

Smithy

bakerboy
25-08-10, 10:42 PM
i would still use the scratch-x and then if you wanted, finish off with the polish, that scratch-x stuff is amazing, had a pair of dirty dog sunnies that got scratched to all buggery from sand, gave them a couple of minutes of cleaning with it and all but one very deep scratch was gone

Stevie-Ray
26-08-10, 02:20 AM
i would still use the scratch-x and then if you wanted, finish off with the polish, that scratch-x stuff is amazing, had a pair of dirty dog sunnies that got scratched to all buggery from sand, gave them a couple of minutes of cleaning with it and all but one very deep scratch was gone

A polish is still an abrasive, just a very fine one, so still need to use it as sparingly as possible.
I've had professional experience polishing metals but also had experience polishing plastics, & probably the trickiest things to polish are plastic watch-glasses, as they are easy to overheat while buffing them!
The key to good polishing is to not use anything coarser than necessary, but that often means more time buffing it. A very good example of 'filling & buffing' is 'french-polishing' in which irregularities are basically filled with colour-matched shellac, then buffed (which in effect 'burnishes' the surface. Burnishing is the process where the surface material is dragged from the higher spots to the lower one, but this is on a microscopic level (forum won't allow me to type @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#cular, gee, we're all made of @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#cules anyway).
Often the difference between a cutting-compound & a polishing-wax is not so much how fine the particles are (they can both be very fine), rather it's the hardness & sharpness (how angular) of the grit used. So a good quality polish will burnish better & ultimately remove less surface material (clear-coat) but the catch is that it takes more effort to achieve a really smooth finish! :(
Unfortunately, sometimes the only way to rectify really deep scratches is respraying!!! :(
However, a lot of people are a bit OCD about the finish on their vehicles & over-polish to the extend that the body-coat starts showing through the clear-coat, at which point the owner starts cutting & polishing even more vigorously to remove the offending 'blemish'! :o
The result is a matte 'GT-stripe' down the middle of the roof & bonnet due to the overlap of polishing from both sides! :D

Cheers :)

Sean
26-08-10, 07:51 AM

Are these sunnies polarized?
Are they still polarized after you polished them?
My sunnies tend tend to loose it just from cleaning normally but the again they are cheapies ($60).