PDA

View Full Version : water in driver's footwell

tonyg62
30-05-10, 01:03 PM
hi
i have this problem, ive done the searches and the door seal seems ok
after removing the seat and moving the carpet back the insulation under the black rubber which goes up the firewall is wet up to almost where the steering column goes through the fire wall,
does the grommet/seal fail?
how does water get there to begin with?
is that where the AC unit drains? the water is not smelly etc

any assistance would be appreciated

thanks

tony

Matatak
30-05-10, 01:28 PM
no chance its dripping down from the Front windscreen seal?

marcthelegend
30-05-10, 01:38 PM
Could be a blocked aircon drain valve, you can get to it from under the car, its above the front of the transmission, though I've never actually found mine, other people on the forum have reportedly found it very easily and extended it with regualar garden hose.

Cheers

Marc

tonyg62
30-05-10, 04:35 PM
i cant see if its coming from the windscreen, though we poured a bucket of water over the screen first the insulation doesnt feel wet higher than the steering column, ill try unblocking the ac drain as well

thanks for all your help

tonyg62
07-06-10, 06:34 PM
hi ive resealed the windscreen, there was no evidence of a leak!
can water get down the radio antenna in the pillar? i ve pulled it out til it stopped and it was wet!

Honky
08-06-10, 10:11 AM
My NP had a blocked air conditioner drain hole just above the transmission.
When I poked a bit of wire into it the amount of water that came out was unbelievable.
There was also a factory mod as the water leaked onto the clutch causing rusting.
Check to see if the water is cold as this is an indication that it is the airconditioner.

Honky

tonyg62
08-06-10, 11:43 AM
hi

thank you for the reply

i been looking for this drain but have been unable to find it, i think i need to get it on a hoist!

regards

tony

razorback
08-06-10, 04:10 PM
Hi Tony, i had a NL and it had the same problame. (only at very strong rain).After many hours of searching,taking parts off and liters of water out of a hose(directly hoseing onto front right side) i eventualy found the problame. Only after i had removed the plenum chamber cover (the cover which protects the windscreen wiper motor and air inlets)i noticed where the A frame joins the panel which is part of the right mudguard section, a gap. The gap looks normal, but i think that in the production they only put some sealent in between and this perishes after a while. Only on this joint was it that when i hosed on, the water got into the foot well. Hope this might give you some idea to look for. I solved the problame by squeesing some selastic in. No more water. Good luck; klaus

tonyg62
08-06-10, 06:14 PM
hi thank you for that, ill remove all the plastic and sikaflex it!

regards

tony

tonyg62
18-06-10, 06:37 PM
hi Klaus

a reseal on that body join and it seems to be ok , many thanks

tony