• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ufc1972
    • Jan 2010

How much smoke does your PB blow

And I don't mean from the tyres.

I have noticed that at night time when I pull away from cars at the lights that in my rear view mirror I can see a fair bit of smoke from my challenger. I just got the mrs to drive it during the day and there was a fair amount of black smoke coming out when taking off and also just after changing into second.
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Mine is a manual 2500km on the clock.

I hope that this might be a symptom of why it seems to use so much fuel at hwy speeds.
    around 11lt per 100 at 100 and 12.5lt per 100 at 105
  • chrduc
    • Mar 2010

Wow, those numbers look terrible and no where near what they should be. I'm getting 8L/100 at 110. I pretty sure that a "little" bit of smoke is normal for diesels, saying that I have never noticed black smoke from the rearview before. Could it be something to do with the petrol your using??
    PB Challenger Manual Charcoal.

Comment

• ppeter
      • Feb 2010
      • Adelaide SA

Not quite as bad as you ufc1972, I have a manual and according to my trip computer I'm getting anything between mid 10's to mid 11's sitting on 100km/h.
      Ive been keeping a log when refilling and my last 3 refills have been as follows and consists of city and highway driving.

361km on 34 litres (9.42L /100km)
      603km on 59 litres (9.78L /100km)
      495km on 49 litres (9.9 L /100km)

Cheers
      Charcoal PB LS Manual Challenger, Towbar, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, IPF 900XS,GME TX3420 uhf, Coopers S/T Maxx 265/70/17, BushSkinz,

www.ppeter.smugmug.com

Comment

• jimsiron
        • Feb 2010
        • Mildura, gateway to the outback

Originally posted by ppeter View Post
        Not quite as bad as you ufc1972, I have a manual and according to my trip computer I'm getting anything between mid 10's to mid 11's sitting on 100km/h.
        Ive been keeping a log when refilling and my last 3 refills have been as follows and consists of city and highway driving.

361km on 34 litres (9.42L /100km)
        603km on 59 litres (9.78L /100km)
        495km on 49 litres (9.9 L /100km)

Cheers
        This is very close to what we are getting out of our vehicle with only 1350km up so far and mainly hwy kms
        regards
        Jim
        2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• D4Dazz
          • Jan 2010

Just a thought....accessories like bull bars can have a huge effect on fuel econmy. A steel bull bar would most likely add around 60 to 80 kgs and can potentially reduce wind resistance over a standard bumper.
          2010 LS Manual Challenger, Charcol, Arb Deluxe Winch Bar, Color Coded with Fog Lights, Magnum 9000lb Winch, Factory Cargo Barrier and Tow Bar, Cooper ST's 265/17R/17's.

Comment

• bakerboy
            "valued 3000+ member"
            • May 2008
            • Perth

most vehicles will have poor fuel consumption until run in, give it to 10,000 and see if its improved
            If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• ufc1972
              • Jan 2010

I expect it will get a little better when I clock up more Km but I just dont get how such a new high tech diesel (with a claimed extra urban cycle of 7.5lt per 100.) can be such a pig on fuel when only doing 100-105. Also leaving a smokey cloud behind at night does not seem right and honestly makes me feel a bit embarrasse. Once I get a bull bar, lift kit and roof rack it wont suprises me it it uses 13-14lt per 100 when cruising at 100 which would be no better then the old petrol PA and more then my 4.2lt GQ patrol

I will try a different brand of diesel and might block the EGR valve off like the triton boys are doing. Never know that might be stuck open making the poor old motor keep sucking in its own exhaust gas.

Comment

• Wolf
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ufc1972 View Post
                I expect it will get a little better when I clock up more Km but I just dont get how such a new high tech diesel (with a claimed extra urban cycle of 7.5lt per 100.) can be such a pig on fuel when only doing 100-105. Also leaving a smokey cloud behind at night does not seem right and honestly makes me feel a bit embarrasse. Once I get a bull bar, lift kit and roof rack it wont suprises me it it uses 13-14lt per 100 when cruising at 100 which would be no better then the old petrol PA and more then my 4.2lt GQ patrol

I will try a different brand of diesel and might block the EGR valve off like the triton boys are doing. Never know that might be stuck open making the poor old motor keep sucking in its own exhaust gas.
                I have never noticed the exhaust smoking in my PB manual. Sounds like something is not right to me. Have you spoken to the dealer? Wolf

Comment

• ufc1972
                  • Jan 2010

Not yet but will soon. I would sooner slam my fingers in a car door for an hour then go argue with the service department people. Last time I ask about the high fuel consumption they flat out said it was the big tires and that now when the trip meter said I had traveled 500km I had really done 550. Well my GPS says that when doing 100KPH I am actually only doing 97. I would almost need 35's for there statement to be true. 13mm extra height and 10mm wide and they call them big.

Yesterday at about 4:30 in the afternoon I took off from the lights fairly hard and looked in the rear view mirror and I could clearly see the smoke from my 4wd passing over the car. Just like in the wind tunnel tests you see on TV. While it looked funny it did not really make me feel very good at all. One of my mates called me Old Smokey the other day.

Can someone check to see how much smoke they see when they nail there 4wd, at night with a cars head lights not far behind.

Comment

• ufc1972
                    • Jan 2010

I forgot to add that in the last few days the challenger has been much slower at starting . Its winding over for 3 times longer then it did before. I can almost say " I wish I had bought a Prad_____" lol before it starts.

Comment

• flashcher
                      • Mar 2010

Hi ufc1972,

Have you noticed if it blows smoke after it has been sitting for a while or when started cold?

Michelle

Comment

• Norm Perth
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Perth

Originally posted by jimsiron View Post
                        This is very close to what we are getting out of our vehicle with only 1350km up so far and mainly hwy kms
                        regards
                        Jim
                        Same figures here. 1300km. Lots of city driving. Manual
                        BLACK My11 Challenger Manual LS, MM Steel bar with driving/fog lights, reverse sensors, tint, MM tow bar

Comment

• momo
                          • Jun 2010
                          • Perth

I tested it tonight driving home from the shops and it puffed on acceleration. I didn't like it, I've always cursed driving behind a smoky and now I'm one.

Comment

• greig
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • kanwal

Of a night time you will nearly always appear to see "smoke" coming out of a diesel......( I'll let an expert explain what it actually is ) but if you can't see it in the daylight, then it's nothing to worry about..

Mine used to run very clean until I put in a chip, and now it will occasionally puff a black cloud when reapplying the accelerator.....or backing up the driveway when cold......but after getting used to the grunt....I couldn't back off the tune to try and stop it ..

Comment

• momo
                              • Jun 2010
                              • Perth

Its just unburnt fuel. My last diesel had a closed DPF (nightmare) so I wanted a car without one. The price to pay is a bit of puffing I guess.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X