Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 02-02-09

Default Loose gear stick

Hi all, i have tried searching!

My gear stick seems to be way loose. Can anyone tell me how to fix and how much its going to cost me!! after coming out of my Legacy the other day, it felt like it was wayyy too loose.

I did read somewhere that there was supposed to be some play, but i'm pretty sure that what mines doing is a bit too much.

Cheers

Darko

Best of both worlds!
Old 02-02-09
Valued Member

If you can grab hold of the shifter and rotate it then it will just be a little screw that is easy to tighten. Mine comes loose quite regularly. Just grab the bottom of the shifter handle and push down, it will come loose, and then rotate it and you will see the little screw that holds the handle on to the shift lever.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
Old 02-02-09

Sorry, i meant the actual shaft is loose and not the knob!

Best of both worlds!
Old 02-02-09
Valued Member

I think it will be in the shift box then, which will be slathered up with a grease and annoying to get to. But it still is possible to tighten it more than likely will just have to take the shift knob off using that screw that told you about prior and remove the center cover and dig in there...start with that and see if its even possible to get at it. You are the first one on here that has reported this issue that I know of.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
Old 24-02-09

DARKRS,
Just wondering how you went with this mate? I have a manual NP 3.2 and my gear stick has always been a bit loose. It has started popping out of first now if i don't make sure that it's right in. Any news on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Old 25-02-09
Valued Member

Popping out of gear was a problem with the very early NM's. MM changed the tranmissions in many cases.
Old 26-02-09

My manual NM has started to develop (over the last few months) a habit of popping out of first as well

All the other gears are fine. Is there any more info on what was wrong with them, as I doubt MM will replace it anymore given it's an '02 model, and is out of warranty.