Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Suspension upgrade - can someone confirm please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2013Pajero-GLX
    • Oct 2013
    • Pakenham

Suspension upgrade - can someone confirm please?

Hi,

I am about to order my new suspension based on a fair bit of research and some recommendations from this forum. I have pasted the description of the kit I am looking at from bushskins below. Keep in mind, I will be installing in the near future: bash plates, an 81litre long range tank, a water storage tank, portable battery in the rear, 55litre fridge, and I have an arb winch/ bulbar installed.
    If I keep the aux fuel tank filled up I should have enough weight for when it's not fully loaded correct?

Does anyone have this setup and how do you like it?! Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Smart (Assembled) Strut Full Kit Bilstein- Lovells HD Raised F&R [NMNW-BLHDassembled] $1,436.40

This high performance kit is arguably one of the most popular for the LWB NM, NP, NS, NT and NW model Pajero's on the market . The German engineered 46mm monotube Bilstein shocks and the premium quality heavy duty Australian made Lovell's coil springs. This kit includes fully assembled front struts with new strut tops and rubber spring insulators similar to the factory setup which helps reduce harshness. This kit is designed for petrol & diesel motors with bullbar and/or winch, dual batteries and 300kg-GVM load carrying capacity in the rear. (Need atleast 100kg constant load in the rear to smooth the ride)
    2013 Pajero GLX NW with ARB Bullbar, Warn Magnum 12k Winch, Safari Snorkel, Bilstien Shocks with HD Lovells Raised Springs and Polyairs, Bushskinz transmission/ transfer case bash plates, Bridgestone AT D697 Tyres, 55l portable fridge, 75Ah Thumper Portable Battery System, 120w Folding Solar Panel........ Aux fuel tank, in floor water tank, and drawer system are next on the list!
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

I run the Lovels HD + 50mm

Bilstiens.

Ride was brilliant.
    Dual Bats, ARB BB, winch, up front.

Rear seats removed and the well is full of recovery gear, tools, ect.

In the back there is a shelf and bushman fridge.

Under car full set of bushskinzs plates + fuel tank guard from Isreal

None of this stuff is ever removed.

Michael.
    Last edited by HSV Rangie; 11-11-13, 09:59 AM.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• 2013Pajero-GLX
      • Oct 2013
      • Pakenham

Originally posted by HSV Rangie View Post

Bilstiens.

Ride was brilliant.

None of this stuff is ever removed.

Michael.
      Thanks for the speedy reply. This confirms what I have been told thus far. One question about your bash plates... Does your rear bumper plate provide sufficient protection? I am not sure whether to look into a rear bar for more protection? Departure angle is a killer on these things!
      2013 Pajero GLX NW with ARB Bullbar, Warn Magnum 12k Winch, Safari Snorkel, Bilstien Shocks with HD Lovells Raised Springs and Polyairs, Bushskinz transmission/ transfer case bash plates, Bridgestone AT D697 Tyres, 55l portable fridge, 75Ah Thumper Portable Battery System, 120w Folding Solar Panel........ Aux fuel tank, in floor water tank, and drawer system are next on the list!

Comment

• HSV Rangie
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Hastings

the rear plastic bumper has caught once left side, pulled it out a bit, must fix one day but its been like it for 18+ months now.

I find deprture angle aceptable formost times. I used to leave tow bar in to protect rear but it caught on to much now I just live with it.

if it scrapes it scrapes.

MIchael.
        2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

I have exactly the same setup in my NP. Lovells HD +50's and Bilsteins all round. Suspension wise, there is no difference between the Gen 3 and the Gen 4....
          I also have the 81L LRA tank.
          With the Aux tank full, the HD springs coped well. However, with a full Aux tank, and fully loaded for a trip away, the HD springs on their own weren't enough. Same deal if the Aux tank was full and I hooked my camper trailer on, the rear end needed more help. The solution is to add a set of airbags.
          As for rear bumper protection, the Aux tank sits just a little lower than the rear bumper and hence provides good protection. My Aux tank copped a beating in the Simpson last year but I came out the other side with no damage to either the rear bumper or the tank. Those LRA tanks are bl00dy good! Without the tank, I would have ripped off my bumper for sure.
          So my suggestion is to go for the suspension you are looking at, but add a set of airbags to give extra help when you are loaded.
          Wait until you have the tank installed and see how you go, before committing to any rear bumper protection.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

I bought the exact kit you are looking at a few months back. I currently have no accessories fitted apart from intercooler, sump, gearbox, t/f case bashplates. It sits a bit high but quite a comfortable ride surprisingly, you notice they are HD's on things like corrugations though. I fitted the kit due to plans for a bullbar, second battery and probably a winch as well as hopefully some drawers in the rear.

I would recommend giving Kieron a call at bushskinz and tell him what you are going to fit, he has helped a lot of people out on here and had a paj previously so knows what springs suit what loads.

Also, after fitting the suspension in my last car (Pathfinder) and how bloody painful the front struts were to assemble I ordered the smart kit for the Paj. I had the front pair in so quickly it wasn't funny, the rears were more or a pain but I did manage to fit them without needing to get the spring compressors from the shed.

Good luck!
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Nik
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • Perth

I would suggest air bags as well with all that weight.

With the long range tank you're not likely to be taking off the rear bumper as it will provide quite a bit of protection for it from underneath. I had the rear metal rear bar on one of my NPs and they do provide quite a bit of protection and are really handy for standing on. But they don't provide as much on the gen4s as they do on the gen 3s anyway as they don't come around or out as far.
              2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• pauld
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2010
                • Melbourne

Leave the tow bar in, protects the rear bumper well
                2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• 4wdvet
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Perth

Ditto to what everyone else said. We have much the same setup on our NW. When we did a test pack before our CSR trip ( full aux tank, 70L water, full 90L freezer and all our gear) the back end was a bit too low for our likely. The other half got a set of airbags sent express from Bushskinz and these sorted it out. Still drives nicely even with a much lighter load
                  2012 NW Pajero platinum. ARB deluxe bar, Warn winch, bilstein shock absorbers, Lovell springs, Bushskinz underbody armour, factory towbar, Uniden 7760 UHF radio, dual batteries (Thumper) aftermarket reversing sensors, Rhinorack Foxwing awning, Rhino roof racks, The Wetseat neoprene seat covers (front & rear), LRA aux fuel tank, 70L water tank.

Comment

• treads
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Snowy Mountains

Originally posted by HSV Rangie View Post

Bilstiens.

Ride was brilliant.

Under car full set of bushskinzs plates + fuel tank guard from Isreal
                    I think we'll be doing similar in the near future.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the standard suspension and tyres. Having come from a '95 Defender I was thinking that the ride would be a lot better than it is

Once the bullbar, winch, dual battery system, tow bar and cargo barrier go in I can't see the stock setup getting any better....
                    Last edited by treads; 12-11-13, 09:55 AM.
                    2013 MY14 Pajero GLX-R | 265/70R17 General Grabber AT2, ARB Deluxe Bar with Lightforce XGT HID's, 144w CREE Lightbar, Hayman Reese Towpack, TJM Dual Battery Tray, Traxide USI-160, Engel 42L, Alinco DR-620 VHF/UHF|

2012 MY12 Triton GLX | 245/75R16 Mickey Thompson STZ, ARB Deluxe Bar with Brush bar/side step combo and IPF Spotties, Steel Tray, Mitsubishi Towpack, Safari Snorkel, GME 80ch UHF |

The above post is my own personal view and not that of my employer.

Comment

• pt3021
                      • Feb 2012
                      • hervey bay QLD

Don't forget that you will probably need these offset bushes to be able to get your rear camber back into negative camber. http://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=46345[/URL]
                      W63429 - <br><br>Suffering uneven tyre wear, unbalanced braking or a less predictable vehicle while cornering. It could be your suspension bushings have failed. Replace these worn parts with Whiteline synthetic elastomer bushings with core characteristics ensuring superior elasticity, memory and outright durability that offer a safer more predictable vehicle.

regards steve
                      NT GLX DID AUTO. 2'' HD Lovells Bilsteins Polyairs, Whiteline Swaybars Prodigy3 ,Dual Battery Redarc Isolator ,Ultraguage ,Eazlift WDH.AirtechSnorkel,No Limits Chip,Clearview Mirrors,Donaldson Fuel Filter.Abr Battery Monitor,Oricom UHF,Arb steel bullbar,Arb 9000xs Driving Lights,Homemade Rear Shelf with Waeco Fridge Slide,Anderson Plug, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard ORU 12000lb Dyneema Winch,2.75 IN Beaudesert exh,SPV MK3

Towing 22FT IMPERIAL CHATEAU

Comment

• peterfr
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Perth

Originally posted by treads View Post
                        I think we'll be doing similar in the near future.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the standard suspension and tyres. Having come from a '95 Defender I was thinking that the ride would be a lot better than it is

Once the bullbar, winch, dual battery system, tow bar and cargo barrier go in I can't see the stock setup getting any better....
                        I just had my set of Lovells HD with Bilsteins fitted today. After fitting got at least 60mm lift & the ride is much improved after. Especially given the front was carrying a steel ARB bull bar, Dual batteries, 1200lb winch & Bushskinz bash plates. 👍👍👍
                        2013 MY13 Platinum, Pearl Paint, Colour coded ARB Deluxe winch bar with Tigerz11 12000lb Domin8tr winch, Plasma rope, Lightforce 210 Genesis HID Spotlights, Dual battery, GME 40 Ch UHF. Bushskinz bash plates, Lovells 50mm lift with Bilsteins, BFG 265/70 All Terrains. More to come.

Comment

• Brash
                          • May 2012
                          • victoria

Hi Steve, I live in Pakenham and have the same suspension you are chasing, front TJM winch bar and rope winch, bushskinz intercooler guard and second battery fitted, very welcome to come and have a look if you can PM me. Could not be happier and Kieron was excellent to deal with.
                          Cheers Brash

Comment

• markpeh
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • Lake Clarendon QLD

Originally posted by pt3021 View Post
                            Don't forget that you will probably need these offset bushes to be able to get your rear camber back into negative camber. http://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=46345[/URL]
                            W63429 - <br><br>Suffering uneven tyre wear, unbalanced braking or a less predictable vehicle while cornering. It could be your suspension bushings have failed. Replace these worn parts with Whiteline synthetic elastomer bushings with core characteristics ensuring superior elasticity, memory and outright durability that offer a safer more predictable vehicle.

regards steve
                            I don't. I wonder if many do? I haven't read of too many people needing this.
                            NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• pt3021
                              • Feb 2012
                              • hervey bay QLD

Hi Markpeh

After being involved with three different later model pajero's nt-nw we found with a 2" lift the rear camber blows out to around 1deg positive even with the factory adjuster maxed out. You would probably find most wheel aligners would say something along the lines of its pretty close and will get better after the springs sag or you put some load in the back and it will be alright .If you want it right these offset bushes will be needed to get back somewhere near negative camber. Any body with a lift can check this themselves using a spirit level .If the top of the tyre is out further than the bottom it has positive camber which is not good .
                              regards steve
                              NT GLX DID AUTO. 2'' HD Lovells Bilsteins Polyairs, Whiteline Swaybars Prodigy3 ,Dual Battery Redarc Isolator ,Ultraguage ,Eazlift WDH.AirtechSnorkel,No Limits Chip,Clearview Mirrors,Donaldson Fuel Filter.Abr Battery Monitor,Oricom UHF,Arb steel bullbar,Arb 9000xs Driving Lights,Homemade Rear Shelf with Waeco Fridge Slide,Anderson Plug, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard ORU 12000lb Dyneema Winch,2.75 IN Beaudesert exh,SPV MK3

Towing 22FT IMPERIAL CHATEAU

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X