• Show
Clear All
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Adjustment of handbrake after new rear discs

Gday all.
    I just installed new RDA slotted and dimples rotors with Bendix 4WD pads on my NP today, at all 4 corners.
    The install went really smoothly and I am sure there will be an improvement in braking ability, especially when loaded up and towing.
    Now, as the rear rotors are new, I have adjusted up the handbrake shoes using the adjuster mechanism at the bottom of the brake shoes. I adjusted it until I could hear the shoes touching the drum when the wheel was rotated, then backed it off a notch so that nothing was dragging.
    I than also found I had to adjust the handbrake cable slightly, but this was easy enough to do by simply pulling out the cup holders in the center console.
    The handbrake feels good, however, it doesn't seem to hold as well as it did with the old rear discs / drums in place.
    I imagine that the hand brake shoes need a little time to bed into the new drums that they are operating in and I am hoping that as this occurs, the handbrake should gain a little more bite.
    If not, I will order a replacement set of handbrake shoes and replace them.
    What have you ladies and gents found the handbrake like, after rear rotor replacement?
    Any thoughts or suggestions welcome....
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
  • hiedipro
    • Dec 2012
    • Brisbane Southside, when home

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
    Gday all.
    I just installed new RDA slotted and dimples rotors with Bendix 4WD pads on my NP today, at all 4 corners.

I imagine that the hand brake shoes need a little time to bed into the new drums that they are operating in and I am hoping that as this occurs, the handbrake should gain a little more bite.
    If not, I will order a replacement set of handbrake shoes and replace them.
    What have you ladies and gents found the handbrake like, after rear rotor replacement?
    Any thoughts or suggestions welcome....
    Cheers, Dan.
    New rotors should have no effect on drums.
    DO NOT go by sound for adjusting drum brakes, because that could be just one cnr touching while the rest is miles off.
    The best is to adjust up till you can only just turn the wheel by hand with two hands. Then back off to recommended notches, usually 10 or 12. You will still hear "scraping" sounds probably, but ignore that, they will rectify at the first couple of brakings.
    Slacken off the hand brake first or you may get misled by a tight cable.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Thanks for the tips Heidipro.
      I managed to find the attached service manual procedure. As you said, loosen off the cable and do up the adjusters until the rear discs (not the wheels, the increased size will give you a mechanical advantage) can only just be turned by hand. Then back off 3 or 4 notches, then adjust the slack in the handbrake cable.
      Will give this a go, later today.
      Cheers, Dan.
      Attached Files
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Shano592
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2012
        • Central Coast NSW

Thanks for posting that PDF, Dan. It will make it much easier to source in the future.
        Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

No problems Shano!
          Had another play this morning and within 30 minutes I had the handbrake sorted thankfully.
          As per above, I backed off the cable, jacked the rear end, tightened the adjusters until the disc was very difficult to turn, backed them off 3 notches then tightened the cable up again.
          Took it for a drive and wasn't happy with the handbrake on really steep hills (plenty of them around where I live....).
          Turns out that tightening the adjuster on the L/H rear wheel by 1 notch was all it took and I am now very much happy with the ability of the handbrake to hold on steep hills.
          When jacked up, it still doesn't sound like anything is grabbing either, which is a good bonus.
          Thanks again for the tip Heidipro!
          Cheers, Dan.

Comment

• hiedipro
            • Dec 2012
            • Brisbane Southside, when home

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
            No problems Shano!
            Had another play this morning and within 30 minutes I had the handbrake sorted thankfully.
            As per above, I backed off the cable, jacked the rear end, tightened the adjusters until the disc was very difficult to turn, backed them off 3 notches then tightened the cable up again.
            Took it for a drive and wasn't happy with the handbrake on really steep hills (plenty of them around where I live....).
            Turns out that tightening the adjuster on the L/H rear wheel by 1 notch was all it took and I am now very much happy with the ability of the handbrake to hold on steep hills.
            When jacked up, it still doesn't sound like anything is grabbing either, which is a good bonus.
            Thanks again for the tip Heidipro!
            Cheers, Dan.
            Very glad for you. My memory of 10 notches is from older cars & caravans, using the wheel, which probably did mean a tighter starting point for backing off.

Comment

• Gogatee
              • Jun 2014
              • Brisbane

When adjusting the main handbrake lever, the manual states 5-7clicks for standard at approx 200Nm. That's a fair amount of force on my 200Nm torque wrench which is longer than the handbrake.

Is it basically tighten the hand brake lever until it's quite snug?

Doing this i get closer to 10 clicks, so looking to adjust at lever and brakes per manual.
              2004 Pajero NP 3.2 DiD - Automatic

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

The recommended handbrake force is 200 N, not a torque of 200 Nm. 200 Newtons is roughly 20 kg force, so it is not that much at all.

Comment

• Gogatee
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Brisbane

Ah yes. Oops.

Basic high school physics that one. F = m x a. (a=9.8).

That makes more sense. Firm but not silly.

Thanks for that erad ☺
                  Last edited by Gogatee; 19-08-18, 12:13 PM. Reason: fix autocorrect of erad name
                  2004 Pajero NP 3.2 DiD - Automatic

Comment

• 85L200Express
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Tasmania

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having issues with my hand brake after putting on new rotors. The passenger side was scraping real bad, I adjusted it and it seemed ok until I turned right then the scraping started up again.

All I can think of was that when I was removing the old rotors I forgot to release the handbrake and I used two bolts to pull the rotor. I finally realised and released the hand brake, but now I'm wondering if I damaged springs or hardware holding the shoes in place?

This is on a 2009 NT

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X