Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 -

Old 23-04-13

Send a message via Skype™ to roandneil
Lightbulb Yokohama Geolander G902 scalloping?? 16500km

Just had the 15000 service and in response to our query about increased road noise from the tyres, it was suggested that we needed a wheel alignment . We asked the ? Was a wheel alignment done at time of handover from dealer. They didnt offer to rotate tyres either at the service. Having never had any incident in the Pajero to put the wheels out of balance we aren't too happy to do this at 16500km. Or is this normal. The service man told us there is some slight scalloping on the tyres. All our driving is country driving on highway. Haven't been off road yet.
We have towed our caravan 500 km so don't expect that is a factor. Anyway, anyone with any ideas we would be most grateful.
Old 23-04-13
Valued Member

Im lazy and have never rotated tyres and never had the alignment done since it was done after fitting suspension.

First set tyres 60k and 7-8mm tread left. when replaced.

second set 45 k now with half tread left should be good for another 30- 40k

I run 4x4 all the time.

Michael.
2010-NT,GLS,DID,Auto.Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Airtech Snorkle, Tow bar, Front door windows tinted, DC Mud Country 265/70/17. light force 170s HID, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Thule roof bars, Bushskinz under body protection all 4 plates, Wet seat front only, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, Bilstien shocks and struts, Stebel 300Hz truck air horn, Proclip&Smoothtalker phone mount, T/C modded, Tigerz11 Awning.
Old 23-04-13

Geolanders are crap in my opinion. I only got 28,000kms... I rotated tires 3 times, and did two wheel alignments in this period.

Mitsi will do this for an extra fee. I too had initially assumed it would be included in the 15,000 service.
Old 23-04-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Geolanders are crap in my opinion. I only got 28,000kms... I rotated tires 3 times, and did two wheel alignments in this period.

Mitsi will do this for an extra fee. I too had initially assumed it would be included in the 15,000 service.

They are that crappy I have over 70,000Ks on them never rotated with 6 to 7mm of tread left.
Old 23-04-13

Maybe the 2012 batch of Geolanders were crappier than your '07 ones? I drive hard(ish) but not like I was towing a heavy caravan...

Anyway, probably already opened a can of worms. Just my opinion.
Old 23-04-13

Default Tyre scalloping

Hi roandneil

The only advise I can give you is this. The tyre brand is ordinary to say the least. They are not designed for Australian conditions and only really stand up to OZ cities.
As far as the tyre scalloping is concerned that may have simply to do with over inflating the tyre. What I mean is that 40psi maybe to firm and if you reduce the pressure to 36psi due to the softness of the side walls the tyres will wear a lot more evenly and should stop scalloping.
At Home:Uniden UH7760NB, Neo seat covers, OBD2 MX link, 7" Tablet, Ram Mount, Crash Cam, RFI Ph.ant, electrics including 12V, Suspension, Bull-bar, Lights, Brake Controller, Dual Battery system and batteries, USB, Engel sockets & Roof platform, Bush Skins, Snorkel.
TO DO: Tyres and I am done.
Old 23-04-13

Send a message via Skype™ to roandneil

Thanks for all your advice. I guess it stands to reason that Mitsubishi aren't going to give you the best tyres available are they? Will try reducing the tyre pressure and see if that helps.
Old 23-04-13
Who ya gunna call....

This is the advice from my local TyrePower who I trust and always get the best service from.
For my Cooper's rotate every 5000k's or they will wear quickly.

I'm a bit like Michael. I change tyres well before they are near unroadworthy.
They are usually grabbed by others. This is why I say I never get any more than 60000k out of tyres.
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=26993
Old 24-04-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roandneil View Post
Just had the 15000 service and in response to our query about increased road noise from the tyres, it was suggested that we needed a wheel alignment . We asked the ? Was a wheel alignment done at time of handover from dealer. They didnt offer to rotate tyres either at the service. Having never had any incident in the Pajero to put the wheels out of balance we aren't too happy to do this at 16500km. Or is this normal. The service man told us there is some slight scalloping on the tyres. All our driving is country driving on highway. Haven't been off road yet.
We have towed our caravan 500 km so don't expect that is a factor. Anyway, anyone with any ideas we would be most grateful.
I have had the same problem it seems. Very annoyed that they refused to replace the tyres under guarantee, and now at 30,000 the tyres are making the same whining noise at around 60km/hr that drives me crazy. But as the tyre mob refuses to replace them cause they have been run out of alignment I'm stumped until I dump them for better rubber.

David - really pissed off at the dealer for not knowing the alignment was out
Old 24-04-13

Mine were scalloping and were chunking out at the edges at 10,000ks.

Wheel alignment soon fixed it, but they are tearing up again at 20000ks.

My magna (i'll always use this a a bench mark at to what is actually feasable) had a wheel alignment at 12 000 ks and they reported that no adjustment was necessary lasted to 90k when I sold it with perfectly even tyre wear across the tyres (which were still roadworthy). I digress.

I thought the wear at newish was due to the suspension rubber bit settlin from the factory settings aproaching there ultimate position and eventually the final wheel alignment should be fine and no more scalloping.

I have often been told that wheel alignment problems are due to hitting pot hols and gutters etc - what a load of sh1t.

Could you imagine hitting something that will cause the suspension geometry to change enough to cause tyre wear without bending the car bits.

Tyres that shred I think ar due to either drivin style or crap car design with sloppy bits that move around too much because the car maker allows flex where there should be none.

Sorry but having had a car that put up with my driving style and most that don't tells me that it is possible to have a car that dosen't rip up tyres regardless of a within limits driving style - rant finished.

dude.