• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

My shorty

Well, I'm supposed to be writing an assignment, so posting some Paj pics is a nice distraction.

I don't have any digital photos of my Paj when I bought it 7 years ago, essentially stock - the only mods were the bull bar and an aftermarket stereo. This is the earliest I have readily available, wearing S/Ts, and I guess without the rear sway bar. I probably had the OME suspension at this stage, and the 6 stacker would be under the driver's seat in this photo.

It didn't take long to realise fuel consumption would be a severe limitation when touring, so I planned a 2" body lift to make room for a larger aftermarket fuel tank - now 120l. Of course, the body lift also made lots of room for larger tyres - guess which actually came first.

Before the 33s, I met Errol at a club weekend, and he convinced me to invest in a front diff lock. Unfortunately it took me a while to actually do it, but, with his encouragement, I removed the diff myself, had the new centre installed by somebody Errol knew, and put it back together again - thanks Errol!

Shortly after the body lift I bought the crawler gears, in an exchange reconditioned transfer case. Thanks Frank. Motorcare 4wd in Bowen Hills swapped transfer cases without having to drop the gearbox - thanks Richard.

So, with decent 33" tyres, crawler gears, front diff-lock and lots of clearance I'm very happy with my Pajero's offroad performance - I have supreme confidence in its ability to take me anywhere I want to take it. It certainly made light work of Fraser Island, Cape York (at the end of the dry - earlier in the year would have been more challenging) and the Simpson.

The old Paj salute, while testing out my MT/Rs. If only I'd had the front diff-lock then...

Arkaroola, about 2004.

Brand new STTs (if only it still looked this clean...)

The fabled Gunshot Creek We really did have it easy when we were there...

Simpson Desert 2006.

A shot showing how much stuff we managed to squeeze into a shorty; this was at Cape Melville.

As much as I like my Paj, and I love its offroad ability, it's not an ideal vehicle for long distances on road, and (now that I'm in Adelaide) I don't really need all of its offroad abilities for the driving I do. So the long term plan is to move up to something larger - probably an NP DiD.
    Last edited by nj swb; 08-06-08, 08:23 PM.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Great photo's Scott, NP would be the go for the upgrade.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

The best action shot ever taken of my Paj:

Thanks to PanterACFH for the photo.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• green monster
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Adelaide

Great pics,,tough looking Paj
        Also love the massive antena your mate has on his roof,,lol
        NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Silver Fish
          • Mar 2009
          • Adelaide

Awsome pics!, those shorties seem to be able to go anywhere, and by the looks of the pic can fit as much stuff as a Hummer!
          2005 NP Platinum DID, BFGs, TJM T15 Bullbar, IPF Spots, OME 2" lift, GME TX4200, Active tail lights, maxtrax, compressor, Cargo Barrier, TJM Bash plates, Rhino Racks, Rhino basket, ARB Awning, Storage Shelf, Door Table, Engel MR40F, dual battery, PowerTech Inverter, 81L long range tank.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Well, it must be about time to update with some more pics.

My Paj, a nice Challenger, and a dust bucket in the background.

Speaking of dust...

On Billy Goat.

Playing at Beachport.

Mt Blue Rag.

A recent campsite.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ARGS
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2012
              • Brisbane

mate looks superb, thanks for sharing.. that last campsite looks awesome
              1995 GLS 3.5, optioned to the shhizam with just couple of mods

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Comment

• Stevo77
                  • Jun 2012
                  • Beaconsfield

Great pics, and an awesome looking rig!
                  Did all that gear really fit in there...?
                  Out with the newer, and back to the old. Sold 2010 NT.
                  New to me: 1995 NJ LWB 3LitreV6 Blue

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Stevo77 View Post
                    Great pics, and an awesome looking rig!
                    Did all that gear really fit in there...?
                    Thank you, and yes it did (does). A bit of planning and custom building, and it's a bit like a chinese puzzle - things fit in a particular spot, some in a particular way, and need to be inserted in the right order to make it all fit.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by ARGS View Post
                      mate looks superb, thanks for sharing.. that last campsite looks awesome
                      That 1st campsite at Dargo doesn't look too bad either!
                      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Pickle
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2007
                        • All over Oz

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                        That 1st campsite at Dargo doesn't look too bad either!
                        Classified camping spot
                        That's a sweet ride Scott
                        Dave
                        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Thanks guys. I do like my Paj, but as for ride? Pete tells me the Challenger is much smoother...

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dooley
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Queensland

Awesome rig... and gr8t pics... and i love my shorty....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X