• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Col
    • Jun 2007

Autumn in victoria.

Hi all,

I thought I would share with you, my Anzac Day weekend away to the foothills and Alps near Bright in 2010 with my partner Jenny. Although it was only about a 3 Hour drive North East of Melbourne, we still left early on the Friday in warm and sunny conditions, but with a cool change on the way. It had been an extremely warm lead into Autumn, but the roads leading towards the Alps were still lined with stunning colours.

Jen in front of our van beside the Ovens River.

We based ourselves at the Porepunkah Bridge Caravan Park as there, we were able to have the van right on the banks of the Ovens River. A delightful spot only 5 Kilometres from Bright which is the hub of this part of Victoria. At Bright there are 4 van parks but only one is on the river and there the sites don't allow you to be right next to the water.
    Because of the change approaching we decided to do a drive that I had planned to do at some stage during the weekend, that afternoon instead, so we wouldn't be caught in the High Country on tracks of dubious quality. As we headed up the Buckland River Valley it wasn't long before we had our first obstacle to tackle.

The chainsaw and my raw strength! made light work of the tree as we went higher into the Alps.
    The track wound it's way through the scars of Victoria's recent bushfires which has ravaged our Alpine
    region over the past summers.

As we got higher the scenery was stunning and we got a birds eye view of the approaching change.

The track which at times was bathed in sun as the sky progressively darkened, was quite spectacular to drive on.

We emerged near Mt Hotham where this photo was taken at 1835 metres. We soon donned our warm jackets as the temperature at that altitude was quite chilly. (Even for a Victorian!!)

From here we descended down the mountains on bitumen, much to Jen's delight, we drove through Harrietville to Bright and then to Porepunkah.
    We got back just before dark, lit the fire and settled into the night as the steady drum of rain started around midnight and continued well into late Saturday.
    On Sunday morning we went to the dawn service in Bright. Seven Kookaburras sitting around us in the still foggy pre dawn light, called in the Bugler. It was a moment I will never forget. An emotional time, so proud of this great country.
    The day dawned clear so we headed off and made our way over the range into the Kiewa Valley and the very pretty town of Mt Beauty.
    These photos were taken looking over the town from the Tawonga Gap and near the bridge as you enter town.

The town has colours amongst the trees and even on the ground.

We then drove up to Boggong Village on the way to Falls Creek where Lake Guy, which sits just below the village, was ringed by colour. Here Jen is standing beside the Kiewa River that feeds the lake.

As we head back to the van, we stopped briefly in Bright to photograph some of the spectacular Autumn coloured trees that line their streets.

If you ever get the chance to visit this remarkable part of Victoria during Autumn, jump at it, as this really is a beautiful part of Australia.

I hope you enjoyed my report.

Kind regards from Col.
    Last edited by Big Col; 11-11-11, 04:29 PM.
    NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Thanks Col, that's some amazing photography in there.

A great report of what was obviously a great trip, and I bet Jenny enjoyed every moment of it as much as you did.

Well done mate.
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Herman4x4
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Melton, Victoria

Wow, your pics are fantastic. You have really captured the colours. I will have to head up there next Autumn.
      Cheers,
      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• scorpion 42
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • London. uk

post thread

Very nice scene their Col, only its just like the scenes we see anywhere over here in the UK in the Autumn, BUT we dont have to carry chain saws to remove falling trees, you chaps have to be prepared for all emergencys, because areas like these that you found yourself in, are very sparsely populated and dont have the man power to clear fallen trees on dirt roads, but obviously you coped with it no bother at all, but it was good to see you enjoying your selves, out there in pleasent scenery, thanks fot taking the time to share it with us, Col and Jen.
        Best regards Jack.

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Fantastic Pics Col..
          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Big Col
            • Jun 2007

Thanks guy's for the comments,

You forget sometime that this forum has many people from all over the world looking at it.
            My next trip report will cover a bit more of our outback to show our friends overseas what our country is really like!!

Regards from Col.

PS. G'day Jack, you may have noticed that at times Jen and I looked rugged up, well those days the temperature dropped below 20 degrees celsious. Ha!

In the next report some of the days were in the mid 40s so we took our jumpers off!

Col.
            NS TD Exceed, Long Range Fuel Tank (115 lts), 50mm lift, HD King Springs Bilstein Shockers, ARB Deluxe Bullbar colour coded with Winch, HD Towbar, ROH RTX 17" Rims, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70/17, Dual Batteries, Safari Snorkle and Diff breathers, Tyre Dog monitoring system, Magellan XL Explorist GPS, GME Personal Locating Beacon with GPS, Uniden UHF, Prodigy Break Controller, Reversing Camera, Updated Security Alarm System. Scangauge + Chipit Chip etc and no DPF!.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X