Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 14-10-11

Default Map sensor replaced on NS

Hi,

My NS has had the ASC light and engine lights coming on and off for a few weeks. The car also had a distinct lack of power. I finally got into the dealer and the mechanic said the inlet manifold was probably clogged with soot and they would check it out.

After searching the forum I see that there seems to be a problem with the manifold on the NS and they have been replacing them with the NT manifold. Anyway I got the car back and all they did was replace the map sensor. They said that the manifold wasn't sooted up. Does anyone know if I'm likely to have the same issues down the track? The car is out of warranty in about 2 months (has about 126,000kms on it) so I don't really want to be stuck with forking out thousands of dollars getting the manifold replaced later if it should be fixed now. Is changing the map sensor just a quick fix to make me go away for a few months until the warranty is out?

Interestingly, when booking the car in I actually overheard the mechanic talking to his colleague and he said "haven't we done a manifold on this car already". Obviously they know about the manifold issue on the NS and have done a few in their workshop already.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has had this issue and can offer some advice.

Cheers
Old 14-10-11
Valued Member

Hey Blagle,
Just had my NS in this week for a 120K service,
Car was quite sluggish and becoming quite heavy on the juice which I simply put down to the boat, camper or trailer on behind.
When I picked up the car the MM service dept said they had replaced an intake manifold ( ?? ) , also when servicing the AC they have sheered off a bolt which needs replacing.
The Account was not ready ( He mentioned some warranty issue ) .
By the looks this is definately a warranty item.
No mention of the map sensor ?
Will let you know.
cheers PP
+ In the shed - Sar Major off road camper
Sea Ray 180 Sports Bowrider.
Old 14-10-11

Default NS Inlet Manifold

Hi Blagle,

My vehicle a year or so ago was setting the Engine check Light off every now and then with a P0299 code (Turbo Under Boost). The MAP sensor and inlet manifold were replaced under warrant. The NT inlet manifold now fitted has the sensor feed from top of the manifold rather than the bottom of the manifold as is the case of the standard NS. Being at the bottom the soot just fills the sensor feed and eventually blocks it, some soot is even fed to the MAP sensor itself. The slugish performance could be the vehicle in "limp Home Mode" which the vehicle normally goes into when the Engine Check Light is on.
Old 14-10-11

Hi PP/Esteban,

Sounds like I need to pursue this further as the sensor will probably clog up again. My bet is if the car hadn't been under warranty they would have advised me to get a new manifold.

I know I'm being a bit cynical but my experience with this vehicle has been far from goodrecently. Had the dual mass flywheel and clutch replaced only a month ago (under warranty) and now this has come up. Seems everything is falling apart at the moment!

Glenn
Old 14-10-11
Valued Member

sounds unusual to have the MAF replaced so early in life , say if the internals were sooted up why wasn,t it just cleaned up and put back on.
i would be going back soon and complain about the inlet manifold needs replacing as the engine is starting to run rough again.
NM Exceed 3.5 Petrol, Speedy 16x 8 mag rims, Pirelli ATR Tyres, Extractors, stainless Exhaust oversize, stainless free flow Mufflers, Prozone Fuel Conditioner, Ironman Shocks and Springs, underbody Sump and Tranny guards, polished Bar and IPF Spotties.
Old 14-10-11
Valued Member

What does the inlet manifold look like and is there any way of telling if its been done. Just got mine and its out of warranty and done 180000klms
2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge
Old 14-10-11

Jords,

From what I have read the NT inlet manifold should have a little black rubber hose coming out of it about midway heading towards the direction of the battery. The hose should connect to the map sensor near the fuel filter. Maybe someone could post a picture for you.

Glenn
Old 23-10-11

My car is due to go in on Thursday to have the inlet manifold replaced under warranty. This is being done after I repeatedly requested it from my dealer for preventative reasons (as it has not appeared to have shown any definite problems), but chances are that it will eventually. It took some convincing for them to do it and several weeks waiting for the part???, but its being done. Hopefully will notice a change in performance.

Jeremy

NS VRX manual, diesel, wife and 4 kids (non-standard additions).
Old 23-10-11

The MAP sensor on my NS died a bit over a year ago in Alice Springs after 90,000 kms. It was replaced and I've done about 30,000 km since with no problems.

Bye Jeff.
Old 25-10-11
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to JoshF

Mine played up on a recent trip, replaced under warranty today.

Lucky for me they had the replacement upper manifold in stock so got the car back in a day.

Failed horn parts are also on order (I suspect corrugations are at fault but you never know)
NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 275/65/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Uniden UHO-88, Sidewinder HID's, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/