Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 05-10-11

Question Sugestions for shock absorbers replacement

Hello,

The time has come to plan the replacement of my Pajero?s shock absorbers. The car is now wth 79.000 KM and I plan to replace the absorbers when the car reaches 90.000 Km.

I looked around and found a lot of different shock absorbers makers and models that apparently can be used with my Pajero including top liners such as Rancho 9000 series and others.

My Pajero is a 2.8 TD, GLX, 1995. It has leaf springs on the rear and no electronic adjustable suspension.

My use is 99% city / asphalt roads!

Notice that the stock absorbers installed on my Pajero make my ride kind of bumpy sometimes (=not very comfortable). My wife and my butt would like to improve that!

Questions:

1) What would be a good choice (maker and model) for replacing my Pajero?s shock absorbers?

2) Would there be any real gain installing Rancho?s 9000 series in my Pajero (considering my use)?

3) Any extra tips and/or precautions?

Regards,
Claudiano / Brazil

Old 06-10-11
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to 03gallagherj

Alot of people use tough dogs but for your everyday use that you'd be using it for probably not the best choice bit of overkill for driving through the city really.
Same with rancho's I'd say Maybe give some Monroe shocks a look at?
1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
Coming:
Storage Drawers, 33" BFG KM2's

Old 06-10-11

Default similar situation

I am in a similar space and money is also a factor. Were I doing more offroad stuff I would go a full OME or something similar to get a fully balanced setup. But I don't want to lift or get heavy duty so..

I put KYB's on and they're cool, Monroe were the other obvious option. Bought through Auto one, relatively inexpensive and I did them myself in the garage in an afternoon. Springs are I think still original. Ideally I would have done them too, but.... Anyway so far so good, they're better than what was there. Took about a week to smooth out though.

Kristina
Old 06-10-11
Valued Member

Claudiano, Ranchos are not the best shocks but not bad also, specially for your type of use. The improvement you can have with them is to soften your city driving a lot and when you go to high speed driving in highways you set them harder and then you gain a lot of control and prevent the Pajero to rock to much in turns.

Others will be stiffer for city driving, think Koni Raids are also adjustable but for it you need to go underneath the car and adjust one by one.

What brands can you get there?

regards
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!
Old 06-10-11
Valued Member

I don't believe the hype about shocks, A lot of people swear by the KYB (oem for Paj) but every shock is different and you might like one but not the other, you could easily spend big $$$ and not like what you get. I reckon get what you can afford, if you don't like it then get a different brand next time. It just maybe that the cheaper ones are just perfect for your car and Bum.

My 2c
Old 06-10-11
Valued Member

Koni or Bilstein
Old 07-10-11

Talking Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Mr Patagonia, since I am planning ahead, I will buy the shock absorbers from Ebay or any other online store. That said, I can get any model/maker that I conclude will indeed improve my ride

Claudiano
Old 07-10-11

Leaf springs on a 95 Paj, thats a new one on me, can anyone enlighten me
Old 07-10-11

Hi Tipper.

I think that I have figured it out by myself.
According to a 4x4 Brazilian forum, the 2sd generation Pajero was only launched in Brazil in the Year 2000.
In other words, my Pajero apparently is a kind of oficial Mitsubish Franskstein. It has a 1sd generation body (including leaf springs), with a 4M40 turbo-engine (and likely a number of other itens from the 2sd generation).

Does it make any sense?

Last edited by Claudiano; 07-10-11 at 04:18 AM. Reason: New insight!!!
Old 07-10-11
Valued Member

Its a 2nd Generation, they sold them with leaf springs in many markets...what?s strange to me is the 4M40 fitted to a 95, maybe the first ones??

Here?s for example the OME Catalog for the leaf spring 2nd generation:
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!