Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 12-07-07

Question Steering adjustment NJ

Hello All
I am having a small dilemma with my steering on my LWB 2.8TDi. I have adjusted it (with the the motor turned off) with the wheels pointing straight ahead and there seems to be very little play in the steering wheel at this point. However when I move the steering wheel a couple of turns to the left or the right (with the motor running) then check the play it is pretty bad (50mm approx.).This makes driving a little "floaty" at times when cornering.
Now I am not sure if you should adjust with the engine running or not!!
OR
if you should adjust with the steering at full lock!
Anyone got any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.
Barnes
Old 13-07-07

Mine does the same thing, and its unfortunately a charactoristic of having a steering box. It needs to be adjusted straight ahead otherwise it will bind as you go to move it straight. The issue seems exadurated due to wear and tear in everything else, idler, tie rod ends etc... joys of old cars aye?
Old 13-07-07

Joys indeed, I must have almost totally replaced my old beast over the last 5 years, 395,000kms on the clock, so I guess a re-con steering box may be in order...
Thanks for the reply 6G74.
Barnes
Old 14-07-07

Hi Barnes

What exactly did you mean that you have adjusted the stearing??

As I understand it - to minimise free play in the steering there is a nut on top of the steering box that once the lock nut is loosened it can be adjusted.

If you tighten the steering too much it will not "self centre" - but of course if the idler arm, pitman are etc etc are worn this will have no effect at all..

Cheers, Lambie
Old 16-07-07

Hi Lambie
Yes I adjusted the screw and lock nut on the top of the box, it's pretty tight, I didn't want to over tighten it as you say.
But like I say when the wheels are straight ahead there is very little play, its only when you start to get half way to full lock in either direction that you get a massive amount of freeplay.

Don't suppose you know of anywhere that I can get hold of a re-con steering box do you? (I'm in Sydney)
Cheers
Barnes
Old 21-09-12

Send a message via Yahoo to bureng

The steering box should be adjusted with the wheels off the ground and of course all ball joints in good order do not run engine as this starts power assist and you need to feel the freeplay at center point in the steering box the steering box pinion has a high point built into it so that at center point it has some resistance to stop the car floating on the road yet when turned off center it has freeplay to assist the steering to return to center when releasing the wheel after a turn the steering geometry plays a role in this as well note some times the steering box can be off center if the tie rod ends have been adjusted and the steering wheel has been repositioned to compensate ie to get a level steering wheel some steering wheel shafts have fixed spline to prevent this not sure on this vehicle
please be aware this job involves vehicle safety and should be done by someone qualified
Old 21-09-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bureng View Post
The steering box should be adjusted with the wheels off the ground and of course all ball joints in good order do not run engine as this starts power assist and you need to feel the freeplay at center point in the steering box the steering box pinion has a high point built into it so that at center point it has some resistance to stop the car floating on the road yet when turned off center it has freeplay to assist the steering to return to center when releasing the wheel after a turn the steering geometry plays a role in this as well note some times the steering box can be off center if the tie rod ends have been adjusted and the steering wheel has been repositioned to compensate ie to get a level steering wheel some steering wheel shafts have fixed spline to prevent this not sure on this vehicle
please be aware this job involves vehicle safety and should be done by someone qualified
Great info, dumb question but does this apply to the NL as well?
Cheers, Jim.
99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!
Old 21-09-12
Valued Member

It applies to all cars with power steering.
Only with the wheels off the ground and centered straight you can successfully adjust the freeplay in the steering.
Makes sense to do it with two people so one can adjust and the other wiggle the steering wheel.
Would be a good idea at this point to check for any play in the steering components
Old 21-09-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Hello All
I am having a small dilemma with my steering on my LWB 2.8TDi. I have adjusted it (with the the motor turned off) with the wheels pointing straight ahead and there seems to be very little play in the steering wheel at this point. However when I move the steering wheel a couple of turns to the left or the right (with the motor running) then check the play it is pretty bad (50mm approx.).This makes driving a little "floaty" at times when cornering.
Now I am not sure if you should adjust with the engine running or not!!
OR
if you should adjust with the steering at full lock!
Anyone got any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.
Barnes
You might want to check this thread as I recently had my Sloppy Steering corrected. The top wish bones had about 20 mm of free play which couldn't be corrected without cutting the bolts and replacing them. [BOGGER].

Also, check the bushes and mounts as they may have some culprit to the steering problem, and if all is in order and after any repairs, get a wheel alignment done as this will also cut down on wandering on the road.

Hervey Bay QLD
Old 22-09-12
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to peter92 Send a message via Skype™ to peter92

i had a reco box put in my nh when i had it, cost $580
Mitsuparts you m,ay get it cheaper here though
regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58