X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grahamnb
    • Jan 2008
    • New zealand

Quite interesting to see prices in Australia for parts. Here in NZ I just had water pump and cam belt done. Parts were $114 NZD for pump and $86NZD for cam belt. Mechanic charges $80 NZD inc tax per hour. Also had heads recon'd, new gaskets, radiator flush, + a couple other small jobs. Total cost $3500 (on the dealer I bought Paj from)
    86 Pajero
    93 SWB Pajero for fun in da mud,
    2001 NM Exceed for touring. 3.5 V6 (Touring)
    2000 Super Exceed 3.5 V6 (fishing)
    Got a new truck for the wife........best damn deal I ever made!https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

Comment

• Alex86
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Here and there

Read this with great interest.

With my Paj going in yesterday [still there] for the 100k a little early [planning a long drive far from home soon] i got to hang around and have a look at changing the timing belt and plugs etc.
      A lot of any quote you get is going to be the labour, its a massive job- ill post photos later if anyone is interested. Im not going to bother trying to change even the plugs- especially at the side of the road!!!!

Mitsu could have made the whole process a LOT easier!

martin7, the aircon compressor does have to be taken off the mount with the NLs.
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Goody
        • Jul 2007
        • Brisbane

When I pulled up to get my car froms its timing belt change, they also had the left front wheel off, it also has to come off to give the mechanics more room to move. I agree Alex, too big a job for me, I'll do the oil, filter, air filter, battery change, rotate wheels, even diff oils, but plugs and belts, too much can go wrong and I couldnt be stuffed with the worry.
        Alls good though, my Paj is running like a dream.

Graham, I got the timing belt changed, all the kit needed for that, new geniune mitzy water pump, coolant system flushed,new hoses, new coolant all done for $1190 OZ.
        Took all day but I wasnt in a rush.

Goody
        Last edited by Goody; 07-02-08, 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
        2018 NX GLS Pajero
        3.2 DiD
        Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
        Tug for my van and boat
        I love herhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/smile.png

Comment

• martin7
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • High Wycombe W.A.

only took me 5hrs to change timing belt and water pump on the wifes 96 NJ 3.0 pajero, was going to get the mechanic to do it being a bit lazy, but they quoted 12hrs @ $88inc gst p/h this soon got me moving i can tell you.
          also a note to anyone doing there own timing belts its common for these engines to brake crank pulley bolts or for the bolt to come loose and flog the end of the crank so its worth the $10 to buy a new bolt genuine and torque it to correct spec 3.0lt is 165nm
          95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• Goody
            • Jul 2007
            • Brisbane

Alex86,I'd be interested to see your photo's of your timing belt change if you've still got them
            2018 NX GLS Pajero
            3.2 DiD
            Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
            Tug for my van and boat

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

Goody, no worries. Hopefully this evening some time- off to go tinker with the machine....
              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

As requested..... If anyone is interested, ive got the process of getting the plugs out here too........

Starting to remove bits and peices to get to the timing belt

The old timing belt

And removed....

------
                Time to get the spark plugs out

Everything comes off!

Access to the plugs

Comment

• Jaydee
                  • Dec 2007
                  • At home

Thanks Alex for the photos... might help matey whos having trouble lining up his sprockets for the cam in the other thread.

Bit of a mission to change the plugs.

I won't ask what it takes to change the oil filter.
                  'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

• Alex86
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Here and there

No worries Jaydee.

Oil wasnt too bad, still could have been a lot easier! Just the bash plates to come off and there you go.

Best thing to do when yanking the belt off [apart from getting someone else to do it!] is to put a mark on each wheel and a mark on an immovable object immediately adjacent so you can line everything up when the new belt goes on. Apparently two teeth off and you will start smashing pistons into valves!

Comment

• Jaydee
                      • Dec 2007
                      • At home

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                      Oil wasnt too bad, still could have been a lot easier! Just the bash plates to come off and there you go.
                      Yeah I know... was just teasing.
                      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

• Goody
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Brisbane

Just had the bloody Paj back in today, harmonic balancer bearing sheared off and it was like i had lost my power steer, air and alt. We checked under the bonnet, no belts were moving. Took it back to repairer and they kindly fixed it................., for another $300!!!!
                        They reckon the timing belt work had nothing to do with it and it could have happened anyway.
                        What do you blokes reckon???
                        They sort of have you by the balls when they have your car dont they!!

Not happy Jan

Goody
                        2018 NX GLS Pajero
                        3.2 DiD
                        Tug for my van and boat

Comment

• dolphin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008

the harmonic balancer must be removed when replacing items such as timing belts , this harmonic balancer pully wheel is not just made of full steel , it has a rubber anti vib inlay inserted between the outer and inner area diameter, there are only a couple of ways that these will break [ separate] which are the rubber inlay has had alot of contact with oil causing it to perish or the mechanic has used an incorrect pully to remove this balancer. i know all about this as years ago before these harmonic type balancers came into production they were all solid steel and you could use any tool to remove them, now you can,t you must use a tool that fixes from the inner area and not the outer eg; apply a 3 prong pully tool to the outer and there goes the rubber inlay . for your satisfaction, i would ask the mechanic who did this job, was the tool that you used to pull off the bottom pully a bolt in type or a claw type. [ bolt in only is the answer ]
                          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• delicaddiction
                            • Feb 2008
                            • Canberra

Is it worth replacing that rubber inlay when doing the timing belt just as a precaution anyway? I've got to get mine done in the next few weeks and want to replace anything else back there that might need doing, probably even the water pump and the seals back there too.
                            1993 NH Pajero GLS, 3.0 lt LWB
                            1999 NL Pajero Escape, 3.5 lt LWB
                            1998 Delica Super exceed, 2.8 lt 4M40 TD
                            2000 Delica Exceed 3.0lt V6 Dual fuel
                            2 x 1993 NH Pajero GLS 3.0lt SWB

Comment

• martin7
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • High Wycombe W.A.

Originally posted by delicaddiction View Post
                              Is it worth replacing that rubber inlay when doing the timing belt just as a precaution anyway? I've got to get mine done in the next few weeks and want to replace anything else back there that might need doing, probably even the water pump and the seals back there too.
                              g'day you cant just replace the rubber in the balancer but you should check its in good condition before pulling it off. try turning the outside (where the belts run) with some large multi grips if it turns replace it. when its removed check the rubber isn't cracked or soaked in oil if either apply replace it. by the way they are very expensive aftermarket ones sell for arround $275. also worth noting is that you should also replace the crank pulley bolt they tend to break & come loose also make sure its torqued to the correct torque. very good move to replace the water pump at the same time. change the timing belt tensioner as well.

cheers murray
                              95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• liam
                                • Feb 2008
                                • chadstone

hi with the crank pully bolt when you are going to put it back in use a bit of lock tight
                                cheers liam

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X