Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public ForumPajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Do It Yourself Projects

Do It Yourself Projects Anything that you have made up yourself. Rear storage systems etc

Old 08-08-10
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to amr75wcr
Default Replacement Rear Bumper Tyre carriers FINISHED

Well here goes nothing, after damaging the very nice looking plough that Mitsubishi put on the rear of the NP on our recent trip to Cape York its time to try and fab a steel one and mount swing away dual tyres. Yes the OL one looks the job i am finding it difficult to justify $1500 for the bar and $500 for each tyre carrier.
04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Last edited by amr75wcr; 13-05-12 at 10:31 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-08-10
Valued Member

The project so far. After looking at all the differnet bars out there on fellow forums Pajeros this is what we have come up with so far. After removing the rear bumper a template was made from some 50 mm c section tin to give a general idea of how to mount the rear bar itself. A 40mm piece of angle was then used to act as a filler piece between the rear of the chassis and the actual bar. The rear bar is a piece of 150x75 RHS welded to the angle and mounted to the towbar mountings underneath. The pics so far . To be contined next weekend.
Any feedback welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06599.jpg (230.3 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06603.jpg (223.9 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06604.jpg (233.0 KB, 1111 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06605.jpg (223.4 KB, 977 views)
04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

Old 09-08-10
Valued Member

For the love of God, chop the corners on a 45 degree angle, then continue
Steele Perkins (#1263)
NP Pajero with added goodness..
Old 09-08-10
Valued Member

Hmm, I'm watching with keen interest.

I too have recently demolised the rear bumper, and now looks a bit shabby.

I agree that the OL bar is overpriced, plus i have no need for a dual wheel carrier.

The problem with the Gen 3's is that it's hard to match up the lines of the vehicle so that the bar doesn't look like visual vomit and also keep the bar functional at the same time.
Old 09-08-10
Valued Member

Agree with m1s3ry, the corners would look much better chopped on a 45.

2003 NP DID Manual - rear cargo barrier, dual battery system, drop down table on back door, GME UHF, winch bar and Warn 9000lb winch, 2" lift - Lovells HD springs and Bilstein shocks, Bushskinz intercooler guard, custom sump bash plate, transmission guard and 35w HID driving lights, home build sidesteps, 265/75/16 Summit Mudhog play tyres, rear work light, 120w lightbar - yet to do, rear drawer system.
Old 09-08-10
Valued Member

Thanks for the feedback, it is still very much a work in progress at the moment and any ideas are most welcome. I just thought we would put some pics up as we go, all the other bars out there do look good but they are just the finished project and nothing to really show how it was done.

Old 10-08-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr75wcr View Post
Thanks for the feedback, it is still very much a work in progress at the moment and any ideas are most welcome. I just thought we would put some pics up as we go, all the other bars out there do look good but they are just the finished project and nothing to really show how it was done.
hey wayne,, good on you for giving it a go,, i put my rear bar project on the back burner as it was looking more and more difficult,,,
have to agree the corners stick out a little,, but its hard when you have to go out wide enough for the wheels carrier brackets?? otherwise the wheels wonuld hit in the middle, but it does look like it needs to be cut on an angle more.
could you re use the old upper section of plastic bumber than sits below the taillight? and just cut it to suit? thats what i was gonna do , then you could use the curve on the old bumper as a bit of a template for the steel bars curve,, have a look at the 200 series kaymar rear bar,, looks trick
also im sure someone posted pics of the lower brackets under the tjm bar, where it mounts up,,so you can get more of an idea.
If i were you i would be getting friendly with the local metal fabricators, my local metal work mate has been a great help, if you are willing to do all the measuring/marking out etc and make there job easy (and take little time) it can work out really cheap (like payment in cold beer last job on a friday cheap!!) just try a few places till you find a good bloke to work with..
keep us postage on your progress,
cheers cam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lc200%20bar%201000pix.jpg (34.3 KB, 578 views)
NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFG /mickey MTZ MUDs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors & custom loud exhaust,Maxtrax
Old 11-08-10
Valued Member

Thanks Cam for the suggestion, biggest problem i have working a 8-5 job and all the fabricators are over Maroochydore way and they are very reluctant to work Saturdays, i think the prefer to be fishing or surfing etc.

Old 11-08-10
Valued Member

Have a look at this: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=8222
Old 11-08-10
Valued Member

Thanks Fro i have got the pics its really the dimensions that has been the biggest hurdle.