X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhifchik
    • Mar 2011
    • Canberra ACT

This has been a great thread. I'm upgrading the intercooler on my VW Golf R and the I will look at possibilities for the old intercooler to be used in my wife's NP Pajero DiD. Mounting an new core has lots more flexibiloity than almost any other engine mod, especially given the extra room in the Pajero front.
    NP Pajero - Few Mods | VW Golf R - Many Mods

Comment

• kibz
      • Jul 2007
      • Melb, Victoria

Hi Stigmata,

Hope you've finished the race truck and are still looking into the Paj intercooler. Can you give us a update on where your at with the top mounted intercooler?
      Cheers,
      Paul

Comment

• stigmata
        • Jun 2011
        • SA

Originally posted by kibz View Post
        Hi Stigmata,

Hope you've finished the race truck and are still looking into the Paj intercooler. Can you give us a update on where your at with the top mounted intercooler?
        Hi mate, the race truck is still not finished and there has been not much more progress on the paj cooler despite me nagging the crap out of the boss to let me get if finished. We have designed and built a billet oil filler as the cooler overhangs the factory rocker cover filler, but still no progress with the TJM snorkle. Anyone got one fitted to thier Paj in SA that also wants a cooler uograde? Heres a pic of the Comp truck as it sits, cage and chassis is pretty well complete, going of to the painters very soon then back for me to build the turbo system, fuel tank and fitout etc

again my appologies, hopefully my consistant nagging aswell as everyone elses will make my boss see that it is worthwhile. Its just that we have well over 100 coolers on order for Trolls n Cruisers

I will nag him again Monday

kind regards Jon
        Attached Files
        02 NM 3.5 Exceed 5sp Auto, EFS 2" lift, K&N Panel, Safari Snorkel, MT 117 muds,FYRLYT 150W spots, Engel 60L, coming soon Garrett GT35/82R

Comment

• sir gibbo
          • Jan 2009
          • Adelaide

Pajero Intercooler upgrade Progress

Hi Stigmata,

The threads gone a bit cold are you still looking into the Paj intercooler, its been a few months since we heard from you. Can you give us a update on your progress?
          Some of the guys in our 4X4 club have upgraded their Patrol's to a fan forced intercooler from Cross Country 4X4, and are raving about the extra grunt, especially at low speed, I'm getting jealous !!
          Peter
          05 NP 3.2DiD Auto, Snorkel, Kumho KL78 265/75's, Lovells/Dobsons 2" Lift, ARB Bullbar, Tigerz11 winch, Dual Batteries, ICOM ic410 UHF, Kings 7" LED Spots, 50cm Lightbar, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Bash Plates, Boos Bashplates Fuel Tank Protection, HPF ECU Remap, DP Chip, Reversing Camera, Reversing Spotlight, Hema HN6 GPS, Blocked EGR, Torque Converter Lock-up Switch, ARB Front Air Locker, 3" Mandrel Bend Exhaust, Advanced Headers 3" Dump Pipe,

Comment

• stigmata
            • Jun 2011
            • SA

Hi Everyone

My appologies for not being online for so long. I have been really busy the past year caring for my terminally ill miother who finally passed, moving house etc etc.

My Nm is now running 35" muds, still havent got the turbo on her yet, I have been busy playing with my turbo 4L falcon, hoping for over 600rwkw on the next tune.

I thought I would share the finalisation of our fan forced 3.2 intercooler upgrade. I know it has taken a long time but there has been some major R&D along the way. As I am sure you would have all read, we only use the latest in intercooler core design from PWR for this cooler and all our coolers. The design of the PWR unit is among the most effecient in the world and I beleive a lot of this technology is a direct spin off from their F1 comitment. For those who dont know F1 is going turbo again and PWR are among the chosen elite to supply intercoolers. We dont use cheap imported chinese bar and plate cores, they dont even come close to the PWR unit interms of flow, effeciency and build quality. I guess you get what you pay for!

The intercoolers tanks have been refined by state of the art computer flow analysis to ensure a high flowing tank that promotes even unrestricted flow to the whole area of the core. They are not just some slapped together peice of junk, there has been quite a lot of research into these. I will upload some flow analysis pics if anyone is intrested?

here is some pics for now of the fitted kit. I will upload the dyno pic very soon with some more info
            Attached Files
            02 NM 3.5 Exceed 5sp Auto, EFS 2" lift, K&N Panel, Safari Snorkel, MT 117 muds,FYRLYT 150W spots, Engel 60L, coming soon Garrett GT35/82R

Comment

• stigmata
              • Jun 2011
              • SA

Heres a couple more pics. We found that by moving the cooler from its OEM low front mounted position all that restrictive piping has been eliminated. On the dyno this was reflected by peak torque and power coming on much sooner, it feels so much different to drive on the road. Even with just relying on the 10"Spal fan to provide air flow there was a massive improvemnt on the rollers. I think the position of the OEM cooler has always been a massive flaw with this vehicle and it has held back good production of torque early in the rev's. We looked at upgrading the factory cooler but found not much point when we carried out thermal load testing and found that air flow to it was absolutely dissmal. The position of the cooler left a lot to be desired in terms of damage aswell, no point in upgrading when its going to become damaged again! LOL

I will get that dyno sheet up tomorrow night along with some tank flow analysis
              Attached Files
              Last edited by stigmata; 19-10-12, 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mmannion
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Birth place of QLD

Originally posted by stigmata View Post
                Hi Everyone

My appologies for not being online for so long. I have been really busy the past year caring for my terminally ill miother who finally passed, moving house etc etc.

My Nm is now running 35" muds, still havent got the turbo on her yet, I have been busy playing with my turbo 4L falcon, hoping for over 600rwkw on the next tune.
                Hey mate sorry to hear about your Mum, condolences to both you and your family.

I Know it's a little off topic but got any pics of your paj with the 35's and what mods were needed to fit them?

Cheers,
                Mike.
                02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• stigmata
                  • Jun 2011
                  • SA

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
                  Hey mate sorry to hear about your Mum, condolences to both you and your family.

I Know it's a little off topic but got any pics of your paj with the 35's and what mods were needed to fit them?

Cheers,
                  Mike.
                  Thankyou Mike, yeah its one of those things that will happen to us all unfortunately. Such is life...

I will take some pics of my NM for you this weekend. There was a bit of cutting involved but nowhere as much as one of the lads at work fitting 35's to his GQ!! The NM's wheel arch follows around a 35" tyre like it was ment for it! I see you are running 33" Mt117's, I was running them aswell, awesome tyre! My mrs used to be able to hear me coming from about 1km away though!! LOL

I still have yet to do my subframe drop to give more clearance, hopefully will have that finished off before Christmas, only going to do a 2" as I think that is all it will need with the 2" suspension lift. It has made an unbeleiveable differance off road and on the sand it just floats over everything with no effort. I wasnt expecting the improvement to be so good.

I will get those pics taken for you and posted asap

Kind regards Jon

Comment

• mmannion
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • Birth place of QLD

Yep love the 117's

Sounds awesome mate looking forward to the pics!

Cheers,
                    Mike.
                    02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• stigmata
                      • Jun 2011
                      • SA

Yep love the 117's

Cheers,
                      Mike.

Hi Mike

I took some pics when I got home but I am having some problems uploading them? I will keep trying a bit later bud. Will take some better pics for you on the weekend too

Kind regards Jon

Comment

• stigmata
                        • Jun 2011
                        • SA

Hi Everyone

I have uploaded the dyno sheet showing before and after power and torque runs. You can clearly see how much sooner the torque is produced with the fan forced top mount intercooler in place. With the OEM cooler and long restrictive pipework, peak torque production was at 2500rpm. With the fan forced upgrade in place it was making the same torque just over 500rpm sooner. This is a massive gain on a diesel engine when you only have 4000rpm to play with. As I mentioned it has made the paj sooooo much nicer to drive. I will try and get those flow analysis pics up too

I have had a quick chat with my boss and he would like to do a special deal for forum members if anyone is intrested on the first 5 units sold as it has taken nearly 1 and a half years of R&D and you guys have been waiting for a while. There will be a $400 saving for the first 5. If anyone is intrested just PM me

Kind regards Jon
                        Attached Files

Comment

• stigmata
                          • Jun 2011
                          • SA

Yep love the 117's

Cheers,
                          Mike.

Hi Mike

here is a couple of quick pics of the NM with the 35's

Will post some more for you soon

Kind regards Jon
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Herman4x4
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Melton, Victoria

G'day Jon,
                            Thats a nice improvement. Looks good too with the scoop on the bonnet.
                            Cheers,
                            Andrew.
                            Cheers,
                            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• awill4wd
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • Pakenham, Melbourne

Jon, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on PWR Vs Adrad cores.
                              My mate who I weld for after hours uses Adrad cores (both intercooler and radiator) and he seems happy with his business alignment with Adrad.
                              As a bit of a "techie" myself is there any info available on PWR cores regarding construction and core design?
                              I've looked at PWR's website but it's all a bit general and no pics showing tube and fins designs and the benefits of close tube and fin pitch vs a coarser arrangement.
                              I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on PWR's products.
                              Regards Andrew.
                              2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

• stigmata
                                • Jun 2011
                                • SA

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
                                G'day Jon,
                                Thats a nice improvement. Looks good too with the scoop on the bonnet.
                                Cheers,
                                Andrew.

Hey Andrew

Cheers mate, its been a long time in the making, just wanted to make sure everything was spot on and the cooler way outperforms the OEM unit in effeciency and flow in all conditions. Its a very good result, with some more fuel, well over 100 genuine rwkw's is easily achievable. We have been doing some major testing on our Triton unit and Prado units too before we officially release them, its amazing what a difference a well designed intercooler with a quality core can make to these 4 pot oil burners! Have been seeing some massive power gains on these little things lately.

I think the paj looks good with a scoop too, will be doing a scoop and top mount when I boost the 6G. People bag em but its kinda hard when you see the results of testing and thermal effecincy saying its working killa!

Thanks again bud, trying to upload these flow analysis pics atm, aaarrrgh lol

Kind regards Jon

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X