• Show
Clear All
  • josh88
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

NP DiD overzealous warning lights

Hi all,

I did not know this before. It's an auto NP DiD

The 10 amp indicators/hazard fuse was blown, together with it, it sent 4 warning lights (A/T temp, Battery, Fuel filter water warning and general warning)

I found it was really strange, because

1. Battery voltage when engine was idle and revved was 15.3 V (rather high)

2. A/T temp (but the car hadn't been used).

3. Fuel filter water warning light ( the car was running perfect)

As soon as the new fuse was in place, those warning lights disappeared and the voltage on the battery went down to 14.4V (normal) but went up again to 15.3 V when I unplugged it.

This is pretty new to me.

Is it meant to be like this?

Can anyone confirm that the battery voltage goes up to 15.3-15.5V when the indicators/hazard fuse unplugged + those warning lights?

Thanks guys.
    MY05 Exceed Di-D with diff Locks to add
  • rodree81
    • Apr 2008

Josh, I had similar problem a while back and found (never located it) the Alternator feed wire was not sending voltage into the alternator so it pumped max volts out around 15.3V from memory. I ran a piggy back wire from the output back into the alt and all good. Did cost me a reconditioned alternator though as did all the fuse checks etc listed on other threads with no result.
    Glad yours was only the cost of a fuse...
    2004 NP Did, 2.5 inch Hi Flow cat and centre muffler, Kings 40mm Springs/Oztec Struts, Browns Intercooler Guard, Custom 3mm Sump &Transmission Guard, Great Kumho KL78 245/75 A/T's & 235/85 Hankook Muds. Red Arc Dual Battery Isolator, Narva 225 Ultima, Extended Diff's and Tranny breathers, DIY Sliders & Proud.

Comment

• amr75wcr
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Sunny Coast

Ours blew the indicator fuse and the Christmas tree illuminated on the cluster as well, I can't rember the exact lights but It certainly makes you pull over in a hurry
      Wayne
      04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

Yup, strange but true. Apparently the alternator volts sense line is interconnected with this circuit. It will have blown when you have been towing a trailer. Bullbar repeater lights + trailer lights are enough to overload the fuse. Most of us put a 15 amp one in.

PAt
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Huck
          • Feb 2010
          • Wodonga

what he said

Originally posted by psproule View Post
          Yup, strange but true. Apparently the alternator volts sense line is interconnected with this circuit. It will have blown when you have been towing a trailer. Bullbar repeater lights + trailer lights are enough to overload the fuse. Most of us put a 15 amp one in.

PAt
          same same 15 amp fixed it
          DEC 2002 NP GLS 3.2 DID, Pajero, Dark Blue, ARB Winchbar, 9000lb XM Winch, Ultima 175 Blue Lights , 2" lift, Polyair red bags, Cooper ST Shoes, Diff & Trans Breathers, Snorkel, Uniden UHF, ABR Sidewinder Dual batt Management, and the Original one and only CFC Camper Trailer (Cowan Family Camper)

"If your not living life on the edge, your taking up too much space!"

Comment

• josh88
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

Originally posted by psproule View Post

PAt

Spot on. At least I know the culprit now. I was worried about rogue voltage surge.

Comment

• josh88
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

Originally posted by amr75wcr View Post
              Ours blew the indicator fuse and the Christmas tree illuminated on the cluster as well, I can't rember the exact lights but It certainly makes you pull over in a hurry
              Wayne
              Very true, those lights on the cluster scared the day out of me.

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by josh88 View Post
                Very true, those lights on the cluster scared the day out of me.
                Mate, when mine first did it about 8 years ago it scared the hell out of MM service as they had never seen it before and the alternator volts were so high. So much so that they promptly changed the alternator and charged me for it before admitting the fuse was the actual fault.
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X