X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walker
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007

When you say "Euro" do you mean the small diameter round pin plug? If so, then yes, they are very good plugs.

The problem with most of our 7 pin flat plugs is that they are made by Narva and are just cheap rubbish. The Lumen brand which Mitsubishi use are much better quality.

If anyon knows where the trailer BCU is situated can you let me know. I had a quick look through the workshop manual but could not find it.
    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      When you say "Euro" do you mean the small diameter round pin plug? If so, then yes, they are very good plugs.

The problem with most of our 7 pin flat plugs is that they are made by Narva and are just cheap rubbish. The Lumen brand which Mitsubishi use are much better quality.

If anyon knows where the trailer BCU is situated can you let me know. I had a quick look through the workshop manual but could not find it.
      mine (SWB) is located drivers side rear hatch where the hyd jack is stored... i found it because the relay was noisy in the swb and wrapped it in bubble wrap to keep it quiet.. looks identical to the after market units to...
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Walker
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

That's no help. I dont think there is a hatch in the LWB. Our jack is under the floor where the 3rd row seats are.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007

That's no help. I dont think there is a hatch in the LWB. Our jack is under the floor where the 3rd row seats are.
          the loom must be in the vicinity, stop watching oprah and go take a look

or put an indicator on with engine off and listen for the relay 'flashing'
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• jmi
            • Oct 2007
            • Whyalla, SA

Jeff_P,
            Mine was the same, flat 7 pin, however, i got a converter with mine.
            My tow bar was fitted when i got the car, i would have thought that you would have got one with yours as well.
            * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
            * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
            * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
            * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
            * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
            * Pajero now sold!

Comment

• Gromit
              • Dec 2007
              • Whyalla, South Australia

That's interesting. The dealer in Port Augusta put a 7 pin round plug on mine?
              I can't see, from an electrical point of view, what difference it makes.
              Are there any auto-electricians on the forum that could enlighten us?
              Gromit ***********************************

White NS Manual LWB - Lotsa bits - more wanted

Comment

• bmartino
                • Jun 2007
                • Bulleen Victoria

Hi Guys i was hold that the 7 pin socket was used due to the PDC (Park distance control) The 7 pin flat socket has extra pins for this? It should stop the beeps when reversing with a trailer. This does not work! It still beeps until you push the button.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

extra pins were required for electric brakes and reversing light.

shape of plug does not matter so long as pins are to aust std...

the good oil here http://www.noboundaries.com.au/Hints%20and%20tips.htm
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• Eddy Lah
                    • Jan 2008

Walker, you have to take the lower side panel of on the drivers side rear to access the BCU, regarding plugs flat 7 or round, yes MM supply with flat 7 but i opted to get a round 7, nobody queried or told me that MM recomend using flat, I agree with matthew , would'nt matter what shape the plug is , as long as it aligns with the female pins!!!, all do the same job!!!

Any way , got told today that my BCU unit is cactus, so awaiting a replacement, to turn up!!, hopefully this will sort everything out, interesting though, seems most that have had problems are all the same, starts with fuse blowing, replace , then unit seems to fail, but fuse is still ok, strange!!!

Eddy

Comment

• phoenie77
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Craigie, WA

Hi all. Back from the weekend away, and after getting the Auto Sparky to replace a fuse it worked down and back no problem. Although he couldn't tell me why it had blown, and i had no idea what that fuse in the engine compartment was actually for. The best part is MM spent half hour checking it for me and told me they would have to get an auto sparky in the following week to look at it so i got my local guy to do it - cost $45 mind you.

Anyway as for the little Box, i found this when i was trying to sort it myself over the weekend and it is a bitch to get to, especially if you have false floor as i do. The unit is inside on the Drivers side in behind the trim directly behind the tail light assembly. I managed to get to it by taking the upper trim lining off around the rear window but couldn't get anything else off due to my false floor. I then found that there was power to all the individual circuits but still no good. As it turns out it was just a simple fuse in the engine bay, but not sure how i was to know that especially given the MM dealer who fitted it couldn't even work it out.

At least they gave me a Flat to round Plug adaptor, sounds like a few others missed out on that!
                      Phoenie
                      2009 NT Exceed Auto DID, Dual Batts, UHF, eXplorist XL GPS, ARB Steel Bar + ARB Fogs, HID X-Ray Vision 200's, Geolander AT-S's, Black Widow Rear Awning, Brake Controller, Evakool ED50, Aussie Swag camper

Comment

• Walker
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007

Yes, I was given the flat to round adaptor by the dealer as well.

Sounds like it is a lot of trouble to remove the trim. I think I will let MMA do that since it is a warranty job.

Matt, the extra pins are not for the brakes and reverse lights, these are part of the standard 7 pin plug. But it does make sense that the 2 extra pins are for the reverse sensors. Mine do not beep when the trailer is plugged in.
                        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                        1987 Range Rover Ute

Comment

• Mike DiD
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bmartino View Post
                          Hi Guys i was hold that the 7 pin socket was used due to the PDC (Park distance control) The 7 pin flat socket has extra pins for this? It should stop the beeps when reversing with a trailer. This does not work! It still beeps until you push the button.
                          According to the Manual there is a low-sensitivity setting for the Reversing Sensors to use when towing.
                          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

Information from my contact at Mitsubishi.

There is a limit to the amount of power you can run through the Towbar wiring system (in the Towbar owners manual on page 14) you will see the following table:

As you can see, the limit for 'Tail Lights/Markers' is 64W (around 5 Amps) - if this is exceeded by some margin the protection system (resettable fuse in the Towbar Wiring ECU) interrupts supply until power is removed for a short period.

The ADR requirement for trailer marking requires two rear markers (total 10W) license plate lights (total 4W) and clearance (total 10W) lights. For longer loads additional end (10W) markers may be required. This brings the total to 34W. There is no limit to how much additional lighting you may run, but I think you can see we are allowing some margin for additional lighting......

It would owners/dealers have taken the correct action - for larger trailer loads a separate supply is used. Of course, the other alternative is to use energy-efficient LED lights on the numerous side lights that would be required to achieve such a high load........this would not only limit the power drain from the battery and alternator, but also save some fuel.......
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

Yes, I was given the flat to round adaptor by the dealer as well.

Sounds like it is a lot of trouble to remove the trim. I think I will let MMA do that since it is a warranty job.

Matt, the extra pins are not for the brakes and reverse lights, these are part of the standard 7 pin plug. But it does make sense that the 2 extra pins are for the reverse sensors. Mine do not beep when the trailer is plugged in.
                              adam i was referring to when they went from 5 pin to 7 pin ... hence the elect brake addition and the aust std..
                              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2007

as pickle mentioned LED's are an option, i have used these for a few years now with zero maintenance required and very low loads on the electrical system...
                                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X