• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbomba
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Homebase Sydney

MAXXIS TYRES 265/70x16 751

Some little known info for all who are considering a tyre renewal.
    This tyre has a circumference which is up to 50mm larger than most brands of tyres of the same size. (265/70x16)
    About a year back I considered a full set of these (5) until I noticed that they appeared to be larger. At the tyre shop we decided to measure them against other brands. (marked the tyre & the ground with chalk, rolled the tyre one revolution, marked the ground where each tyre finished then measured the distance, called the "rolling diameter") The tyres were fitted to a rim and inflated to 36psi.
    Surprisingly the Maxxis tyre has a rolling dimention of 2470mm. Other brands measured were BF Goodrich AT, Yohohama Geolander AT, Bridgestone D694 and Cooper ATR. These brands ranged between 2420mm and 2430mm. The Maxxis was quite different, and had the longer rolling diameter out of the tyres we measured. Over a measured kilometer the Maxxis would turn 404.85 times. The others would turn between 411.52 and 413.22. One minor draw back is that the speedo would be out slightly, traveling faster than what the speeedo shows. I decided against the Maxxis for one reason. If we destroyed a tyre in an out of the way place it may not be easy to get another Maxxis. A mix would cause the limited slip diff to work overtime if on the rear and if on the front and in 4wd this would cause the "wind up" effect in the transmission of the vehicle.
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT
    Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
    Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.
  • MTN-KAT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Gold Coast

Hi dbomba, just want to say thanks for info. I will be up for a new set of tyres in next 12 mths and Maxxis were on list. Cheers.
    99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• zacc
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

good heads up but i can not realy see an issue .
      i am on to my second set of maxas no issue .
      i know the winding up issue but common sense should prevaile.

Comment

• dbomba
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Homebase Sydney

Originally posted by zacc View Post
        Zacc!
        You are absolutely correct, common sense should, and usually does prevaile.
        I posted this primarily as something to consider when travelling, particularly to remote regions. This was the only factor that swayed me from purchasing a set.
        Thanks
        Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
        Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

• Chenko
          • Mar 2010
          • Newcastle Area

Originally posted by zacc View Post
          The issue is pretty obvious. Try buying one of these tyres in the willderness.
          It just wont happen.
          NS 3.8. Auto and getting ready for the mods.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X