• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckm
    • Apr 2011
    • California

Double DIN radio install

All,

Just got a Pajero (well a Montero as I'm in the US) and promptly proceeded to rip that dash apart to install a double-din radio.

Moved the AC controls down to where the CD changer was and pulled out the previous owner's aftermarket radio.

Attached are some pictures of the test fit taken with my phone. I was looking for a radio that would look like a stock unit and wanted actual physical buttons. The radio was $265US shipped and is one of those generic Chinese units running WindowsCE. I bench tested it on my desk with a 12v power supply, seems to work OK even if the UI is awful. We'll see once I get it fully wired up.

Oh, and my Pajero is a 2001 Limited (Exceed in AU, I think) with 120k miles all in California. I bought it from the original owner and it's silver over black.

Chris
    Attached Files
  • mrberry
    • Jan 2009
    • Sydney

Mate, you might need to flip you picture. Your steering wheel is on the wrong side.
    2007 NS Pajero VRX Diesel auto, Smartbar, Mits towbar, Bushskinz intercooler, sump and transmission guards, Bridgestone 694's, 17" Speedy Baja wheels, Cargo barrier, Garmin Nuvi 1390T GPS, LRA 81L Aux tank, Rear view camera, Thule roof racks, Cargo Pod, Electric brakes, Reverse parking sensors, Spare wheel lifter, Extended towbar tongue , ironman awning, aired snorkel, lovells HD raised springs and blistering shocks, dual battery setup.

Awaiting: Diff breathers, polyair bags.

Comment

• garycromp
      • Mar 2010
      • Adelaide

Hello ckm. I have done tha same as you, I moved my climate control unit and fitted a pioneer head unit with dvd. it fits realy well and looks like a factory fit. I also fitted dvd headrest to the front 2 seats and they are all conected together so if you watch a video on the main head unit you can see it on all 3 screens, the kids love it.
      2013 my14 challenger. Titanium 5speed manual. Cooper AT3's. mitsi nudge bar, lightforce blitz spotlights,TJM snorkel,awning. Roof bars

Comment

• redturboeclipse
        • Nov 2009

nice anothe rperson from california posting here because Montero support and fan base is DEAD in the usa..

i put a full on system on mine. if you do a search on google my posts shoudl always be the one to come up

now the big question is, did you use the wiring harness adatper for vehicles with infinity sound? ORRRRRR did you use the basic or hardwired it bypassing the stock amp..

your choice there will depend if your stock tweeters and sub will work.

i did 2 amps, 1 under driver, 1 under pass. 1 for sub, other to power all speakers. and yes i found one that puts out good power that small. i even wired a switch to still implement the stock sub if i have to remove the hidden sub in the 3rd row compartment.

i have a jensen double din, hd radio, gps, etc etc.

hope we can see more of your install and details on it. i like how your unit sits flushed around the bezel.

you know the "BEST" install is if you custom and put the din in the top section where the info screen is, that way there is shade from glare. then info unit in 2nd double din space.

the problem is there is no room up there unless the unit is not deep but what isnt. oh well we did the best we can really given the situation.

Comment

• garycromp
          • Mar 2010
          • Adelaide

I used an adapter for my install. had it all in and working in about 30 minutes. very easy to use.
          2013 my14 challenger. Titanium 5speed manual. Cooper AT3's. mitsi nudge bar, lightforce blitz spotlights,TJM snorkel,awning. Roof bars

Comment

• ckm
            • Apr 2011
            • California

I actually just got done with the electrical install. I bought a conversion kit with all the appropriate plugs for both the standard Mitsubishi plug and the rear amp.

Unfortunately, when I started to look around to see what the deal was with the previous after market install, I discovered a hack job. I then proceeded to trace all the extra wires to figure what happened.

Well, the previous idiots who put the stereo in decided that it would be a good idea to hack up the factory wiring harness in five different places. The wiring harness was mangled at the head unit (no surprise), at the harness plugs in both footwells (where they branch off into the doors) and in both B-pillars also where the harness goes into the doors.

It took me 5 hours to fix all the damage, at which point I had a basically stock plug & play system. Why people do this is beyond me, particularly since the previous owner paid over $150 for the install alone (I found the receipt. To say that it was amateurish would be an understatement. I probably used a meter of marine heatshrink to get everything back to semi-stock look.

Anyway, assuming this has NOT happened to your car, I highly recommend using a harness kit. Mine was a Metra kit, cost about $30US and came with both adapters. The unit works really well, although I'm getting some alternator whine I have to trace back and I still have to mount the GPS antenna somewhere as well as the reverse camera. And my antenna doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure that's the antenna, not the wiring.

I also have to install the remote audio input, using this hardware:

The USB jack is going to a charger, not a USB input. The audio is going to the aux input and the whole thing will live in the center console storage.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to locate the GPS antenna? I was going to put mine on the roof in the rear, running the wire through the rear door seal, but my antenna wire is not long enough.

PS - the tweeters are actually wired inline with the front speakers. The crossover is in the door and there are only two wires going to the door. I've forgotten the wiring diagram at my shop, but I'll scan it when I can. Small amps are not hard to find, I have several 25w units laying around that are the size of credit card, but I really don't want to rewire this car. If you install an aftermarket amp(s), the sensible thing to do is to put it where the factory unit is. It's in the right rear of the car, according to the wiring diagram and all the speaker wires route back to it. And the headunit to the amp wire/plug is a standard DIN plug, all you need is this converter. At least, that's what I would do. This unit does have several video outs and provisions for dual-play (and a remote...), but I'm not going that route.

Post-install pic, plus a pic of the GPS:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ckm; 05-06-11, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• ckm
              • Apr 2011
              • California

Originally posted by redturboeclipse View Post
              you know the "BEST" install is if you custom and put the din in the top section where the info screen is, that way there is shade from glare. then info unit in 2nd double din space.
              It won't fit, I looked at it. It's not the depth, the opening is too small, you'd have to hack the facia and I hate doing stuff like that. Maybe if you got a facia from one of the newer vehicles with nav. I want anything I install to look like the vehicle came that way... Nevermind the ergonomically, it's just not right (too far away).

I don't think depth is that much of an issue, you can always detach the front of the unit from the rest of it. It would take a little electronics hacking, but that's about it.

Besides, that all sounds like way too much work. I CNC machined a new bezel for my BMW so the radio would sit flush and that took the better part of a day to get just right. I'm really not motivated to go to such extremes for the Montero. Now, a custom front winch mount, that might be different...

Chris.

Comment

• redturboeclipse
                • Nov 2009

i really wouldve preferred to put it in the top location if i had time or confidence to cleanly do it.

as for the gps antenna, i put mine in between the roof liner and the roof on passenger corner a-pillar. picks up full signal all the time despite what everyone says, but can vary maybe on hardware.

when i mentioned small amp, i usually look at some with some decent power. i run 50 watts RMS door. i have components up front, xover by the amp under seat.

and my sub amp is 500watt RMS @ 2ohm. 1 amp fit under both seats.

i have a center channel in my headunit as it does dolby digital, but again not confident enough to find a spot for a center channel speaker, that is def what i would use the samller 25watt rms amps for

Comment

• ckm
                  • Apr 2011
                  • California

Originally posted by redturboeclipse View Post
                  as for the gps antenna, i put mine in between the roof liner and the roof on passenger corner a-pillar. picks up full signal all the time despite what everyone says, but can vary maybe on hardware.
                  I ordered an SMA extension cable and am going to put mine on the rear near the door. I also need to deal with some alternator whine, otherwise it's working OK.

Chris.

Comment

• ckm
                    • Apr 2011
                    • California

Updates

Well, I finally got everything installed. The GPS antenna is at the rear, next to the passenger side roof rails and the rear camera is wired through the rear door.

It was a huge pain in the a%%, I had to take 1/2 the interior out to get all the wires fed through. And dealing with the double-walled body is an exercise in pain not made any easier by the rear AC...

Next up, new shocks and springs (stock ride height) as well as new tires (tyres).

Some photos a disassembled NM follow. Tried to put them in body, but the ATTACH tag seems to have a mind of it's own...

Img 1. GPS Antenna
                    Img 2. Join between two GPS cables in the pass rear step
                    Img 3. Wiring coming from rear backup light & GPS antenna cable
                    Img 4. Rear camera wiring in rear door
                    Img 5. Access panel to rear door wiring
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ckm; 16-06-11, 05:18 AM. Reason: Images not showing up...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X