• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old dave
    • Nov 2010
    • Adelaide

Injector Timing and Metering setting up 4D56 Turbo Diesel

I have a SWB Intercooled NFX diesel Pajero

By nature this has always been a really spritely beast.

I have owned the vehicle for about 6 years and value it highly.
    Recently the Diesel Kiki (ZEXCELL/BOSCH) injector pump started to weep diesel. Over the months this turned into a pronounced leak... replacing those hard to get at O rings had no impact and professional advice accepted that the best thing was to have it out and pay about $1,000 for a full gasket replacement.

I removed the pump... it was repaired and I fitted it back. All timing marks were observed to the nth... and eventually after a bit of bleeding off it went.

It went really well, and after a short drive I was really happy and satisfied with its performance.
    I had been asked to return it to the reconditioner for fine injector timing and injector metering adjustments. I drove it back to the repairer and left it with him. It felt very different when I got it back !
    Sluggish and no top end.
    I set off on a 1,000k trip straight after... and it could barley do 85kph on the open road... the temp needle lifted at every hill and it got disgraceful fuel economy (22mpg) and rough cold running on 1st starting.

I returned it and told the guy that it felt that the injector timing was horribly retarded... he fiddled with the metering and it did feel a little better. Then another 1,000 k run and the symptons much the same- no power and a very mobile temp gauge... this in a vehicle that returned up to 40mpg in a tail wind and no less than 30mpg into a head wind and one day did a 500K trip (Copley to Adelaide) in 48C and still barley run hotter than normal.
    I am getting no where with the repairer - he refuses any notion that injector timing is the problem. As I see it it is as PLAIN as EGGS that the timing is wrong. I am naturaly extremely upset.. and need to get the Paj running properly again before damage is done.
    My question.... How can I advance the injector timing without removing the pump. AND how can I control the injector volume ?
    I really need to trial timing and injection volume settings to get it back to how it was.
    This is a rotary pump and is fixed to the engine block, it cannot be rotated to change timing.

Cheers

Old Dave
    12/88 NF SWB Turbo Diesel
    7/89 NG Super Exceed V6
  • Stewie81
    • Nov 2011
    • Kwinana WA

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm about to replace my front cam seal and would like to check my timing while I'm there becuase I am suffering similar symtoms!

My temp gauge goes up when climbing a hill. She is a bit sluggish and blows a considerable amount of black smoke under exceleration.

Any advise on this would be great!

Stewie
    One Life! One Chance!

Comment

• biteme
      • Feb 2008
      • Singleton NSW

Injection timing procedure.

Attached is a copy on the procedure for checking and adjusting your injection timing.

You do not need the special adapter tool to do the job as you just need a dial indicator with enough reach and a magnetic base to hold it to the engine.

This particular procedure is for the 1994 4d56 so the identification marks might not match when you try and find your letter stamp on the cylinder head in regards to what degrees ATDC.

(I tried to attach the 2 pages but it won't let me upload so If you want the info just PM me and I will email the relevant pages.)

Regards

Danny

Comment

• jay_mj
        • Apr 2012
        • Adelaide

Hey mate. I am new to the forum and would really appreciate the details on checking and changing timing on the 94 4d56 motor.
        Thanks, Jared.

Comment

• BJDALY
          • Jun 2015
          • Victoria British Columbia, Canada

if they are useful to a 91 4D56

i would love a copy as well if they will be relevant

Comment

• Allanmac56
            • Oct 2013
            • Ningi

injector pump timing

I was in a similar situation with my 91 pajero import. I had to change the injector pump and set it using all the timing marks and carefully noting the position of the old pump on removal. After fitting the replacement pump I have been quite happy with the performance and the economy even while touring the Vic high country for a few weeks and a trip from Gippsland to Brisbane. I noticed recently that the smoke issue was starting to become more pronounced and I was starting to use some oil. After coming back to Brisbane a week ago I decided to take the Paj into a local workshop where for $160 they set the timing for me and tell me it was approx. 1/3 of 1 degree out and when I drove it out of the workshop I could feel the difference immediately and have not had more than the smallest puff of smoke on startup since. Well worth getting it done properly. I went to a small local 4x4 workshop and am very happy with the work done.
            NH ragtop shorty, 2.5 tdi, safari snorkel,lifted around 2" but after 26 yrs of abuse looks and feels like a whole lot more everyday car that turns into a miniature beast when called on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X