• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barnes
    • Jul 2007
    • Sydney

Steering adjustment NJ

Hello All
    I am having a small dilemma with my steering on my LWB 2.8TDi. I have adjusted it (with the the motor turned off) with the wheels pointing straight ahead and there seems to be very little play in the steering wheel at this point. However when I move the steering wheel a couple of turns to the left or the right (with the motor running) then check the play it is pretty bad (50mm approx.).This makes driving a little "floaty" at times when cornering.
    Now I am not sure if you should adjust with the engine running or not!!
    OR
    if you should adjust with the steering at full lock!
    Anyone got any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.
    Barnes
  • 6G74
    • Jun 2007

Mine does the same thing, and its unfortunately a charactoristic of having a steering box. It needs to be adjusted straight ahead otherwise it will bind as you go to move it straight. The issue seems exadurated due to wear and tear in everything else, idler, tie rod ends etc... joys of old cars aye?

Comment

• Barnes
      • Jul 2007
      • Sydney

Joys indeed, I must have almost totally replaced my old beast over the last 5 years, 395,000kms on the clock, so I guess a re-con steering box may be in order...
      Thanks for the reply 6G74.
      Barnes

Comment

• Lambie
        • Jul 2007
        • Victoria, Gippsland near Sale

Hi Barnes

What exactly did you mean that you have adjusted the stearing??

As I understand it - to minimise free play in the steering there is a nut on top of the steering box that once the lock nut is loosened it can be adjusted.

If you tighten the steering too much it will not "self centre" - but of course if the idler arm, pitman are etc etc are worn this will have no effect at all..

Cheers, Lambie
        NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

• Barnes
          • Jul 2007
          • Sydney

Hi Lambie
          Yes I adjusted the screw and lock nut on the top of the box, it's pretty tight, I didn't want to over tighten it as you say.
          But like I say when the wheels are straight ahead there is very little play, its only when you start to get half way to full lock in either direction that you get a massive amount of freeplay.

Don't suppose you know of anywhere that I can get hold of a re-con steering box do you? (I'm in Sydney)
          Cheers
          Barnes

Comment

• bureng
            • Sep 2011
            • Beaumaris

The steering box should be adjusted with the wheels off the ground and of course all ball joints in good order do not run engine as this starts power assist and you need to feel the freeplay at center point in the steering box the steering box pinion has a high point built into it so that at center point it has some resistance to stop the car floating on the road yet when turned off center it has freeplay to assist the steering to return to center when releasing the wheel after a turn the steering geometry plays a role in this as well note some times the steering box can be off center if the tie rod ends have been adjusted and the steering wheel has been repositioned to compensate ie to get a level steering wheel some steering wheel shafts have fixed spline to prevent this not sure on this vehicle
            please be aware this job involves vehicle safety and should be done by someone qualified
            NJ 4M40T 1996 COOPER TYRES B/Bar Hella Spots
            NL 4M40T 1997 Luxury Pack, B/Bar ,Custom insulation complete car including engine firewall, Hella Spots Component Sterio, Modified 2.8lt 4M40,Reverse Spotty,
            Duel Batt, Madman EMS,Daytime LEDS,HD Roofrack,UHF Radio,Mobile Phone rack with b/bar ext aerial, Car Security with auto start.

Comment

• hootnah
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • nunawading, vic.

Originally posted by bureng View Post
              The steering box should be adjusted with the wheels off the ground and of course all ball joints in good order do not run engine as this starts power assist and you need to feel the freeplay at center point in the steering box the steering box pinion has a high point built into it so that at center point it has some resistance to stop the car floating on the road yet when turned off center it has freeplay to assist the steering to return to center when releasing the wheel after a turn the steering geometry plays a role in this as well note some times the steering box can be off center if the tie rod ends have been adjusted and the steering wheel has been repositioned to compensate ie to get a level steering wheel some steering wheel shafts have fixed spline to prevent this not sure on this vehicle
              please be aware this job involves vehicle safety and should be done by someone qualified
              Great info, dumb question but does this apply to the NL as well?
              Cheers, Jim.
              99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!

Comment

• Downunder35m
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2011
                • Near Melbourne

It applies to all cars with power steering.
                Only with the wheels off the ground and centered straight you can successfully adjust the freeplay in the steering.
                Makes sense to do it with two people so one can adjust and the other wiggle the steering wheel.
                Would be a good idea at this point to check for any play in the steering components
                '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• rancox265
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Hervey Bay QLD

Originally posted by Barnes View Post
                  Hello All
                  I am having a small dilemma with my steering on my LWB 2.8TDi. I have adjusted it (with the the motor turned off) with the wheels pointing straight ahead and there seems to be very little play in the steering wheel at this point. However when I move the steering wheel a couple of turns to the left or the right (with the motor running) then check the play it is pretty bad (50mm approx.).This makes driving a little "floaty" at times when cornering.
                  Now I am not sure if you should adjust with the engine running or not!!
                  OR
                  if you should adjust with the steering at full lock!
                  Anyone got any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.
                  Barnes
                  You might want to check this thread as I recently had my Sloppy Steering corrected. The top wish bones had about 20 mm of free play which couldn't be corrected without cutting the bolts and replacing them. [BOGGER].

Also, check the bushes and mounts as they may have some culprit to the steering problem, and if all is in order and after any repairs, get a wheel alignment done as this will also cut down on wandering on the road.
                  NH Pajero 1991 3.0L
                  CLICK HERE - Pajero 4X4 Club Australia Facebook - CLICK HERE

Hervey Bay QLD

Comment

• peter92
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • maryborough queensland

i had a reco box put in my nh when i had it, cost $580
                    Mitsuparts you m,ay get it cheaper here though
                    regards peter
                    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
                    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
                    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
                    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X