• Show
Clear All
  • likatiger
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • WAMBERAL NSW

Traction control - audiable alarm

Hi Guys,

On a recent trip to the Vic High Country I discovered something new about my 2004 DiD.

On a particularly steep and knarly track with a difficult traction surface the Paj traction control was doing its thing and applying traction to where it was needed most, no problem, we were ascending the slope, albeit struggling a bit.

I was letting my mate and co-driver have a turn so I could not see the dash controls square on.
    Suddenly the Paj trac/control light started flashing and quite a loud alarm started going off, my mate also told me the wheel indicators were also going beserk.

Not being in a position to stop, we drove through the warnings, my immediate thought was the auto temp, but not so.

Am I right in thinking that the Paj trac/control must have this alarm for when the trac/control thinks its reached its limits and can't find anymore traction.
    If this is correct does anyone know what triggers it such as 50% or 75% traction loss etc.

I think the last thing you need blasting your ear drums is an alarm when you are negotiating a tricky slope that requires good concentration, although I guess its trying to say you are getting into trouble here.

Cheers
    Likatiger
    NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

Traction contrrol works by applying the brakes on different wheels at different times, to bring the alarm on, means you had excess wheel spin and the accmulator pump (on a petrol its refered to as the brake booster) is working overtime, try less throttle, bettter tyres etc etc
    Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• likatiger
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks Muzza,
      I new what the traction control was trying to do, I just needed to undrerstand more of the technicalities and the alarm triggering, you have helped me with that.

Yes, more aggressive tyres would have helped but less throttle, in this case, may have seen us going nowhere.

Thanks
      NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Pathy
        • Aug 2007
        • Wondai QLD

I have found for the traction control to work properly, you need a steady throttle,to keep it working. But it does have it limits, first it will beep, then a constant beep, then stop working. After about 30 to 45 seconds, will work again, am up most hills by then.
        The lights flash when the traction control is working, they flash a while before the beeping. Having more aggressive tires will help.
        Marc
        1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

• sparkie
          • Apr 2008
          • brisbane

Hello All first time on the forum. It's great by the way. I had the same issue arise for me a few weeks ago & mad panic but same situation, had to keep going. Later read in the manual that the alarm is sounding because the fluid in the ABS system is overheating from excessive applying of brakes with traction control. The traction controll system will shut down for 30 seconds or so to allow the fluid to cool down (alarm sounds during this period) & then re-activate. Nothing really to wory about, just means everything is working like it should & you are using your 4WD for what it should be used for.
          2005 NP Exceed, Lift, Maxis Bighorns, UHF, Winch & Bar, Underbody Protection,Wishlist - (lockers, extractors & body lift "subframe drop")

Comment

• icysyrup
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • USA

Yup as sparkie said its just overheating. It will eventually cut out which is frustrating when you cant go any further and sit there spinning one tire. But will come back on in 30 seconds and then go for a while longer till it cuts out again.
            03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• marquis
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Newcastle

Make sure you have A/T or M/T tyres on and lower the pressures down to 16 to 24psi on the hill climbs - you will have much better traction.
              --
              Marquis
              SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• likatiger
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks to all, I have a better understanding of why the beeping etc was taking place, thats interesting that its warning of ABS overheating, I would not thought of that.

Marquis, yes I had A/Ts on, but M/Ts would have been better and I probably could have lowered tyre pressures a little more, all wise with hindsight.
                Mind you the slope was very steep with a slippery (dry) sandy surface with drainage humps thrown in as well and we were heavily loaded so I am not surprised at the vehicle's reaction, but it still what its supposed to.

Regards
                Larry

Comment

• john_char
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Perth - Not far north of the River

Just further on this one. You will find that the alarm goes off once the Brake accumulator pressure drops below a pre-determined level. This will happen when you over-use the Traction Control or over-use the ABS. I bled the brakes the other day and once the brake accumulator pressure drops, then the alrm will go off. It stopped as soon as I stopped bleeding the brakes and allowed the brake booster to pump up the pressure again. To tell you the truth, it really doesn't do any harm as it's good to cycle the accumulator fully just to keep the 'floating piston' fully lubed.

Just my $0.02.
                  Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

• likatiger
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • WAMBERAL NSW

john char,

Thanks for that extra insight, its a great help and now that I think back to the situation, we were really putting the traction control and thus the accumulator thing you speak of, to a lot of use on that slope.

I am mechanically challenged but not totally useless with cars, but what does the accummulator thing do? Am I correct in thinking that it accummulates brake fluid pressure to operate and distribute to the ABS.

Cheers
                    Larry

Comment

• john_char
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Perth - Not far north of the River

Larry,

I'm an Aircraft Tech and we deal with accumulators all the time. Basically they are a little reservoir with a 'floating piston' in the middle. One side is typically charged with Air or Nitrogen and the other side is open to system pressure - namely brake pressure. So the brake booster pump builds up brake pressure against the floating piston-nitrogen pressure thus building a head of pressure in the reservoir. This pressure is ready to be used. So when the ABS system detects the wheels slipping, it uses this head of pressure to actuate the brakes to stop the slipping wheels. Sort of the same with locking brakes.

You may notice the brake booster pump running as you turn on the ignition, if it doesn't build up the pressure or loses pressure due to overuse, then it's a dangerous situation and you need to stop what you are doing as you may lose the brakes.

I have said it before, it's not worth screwing around with the brake system, heed the alarm and allow the pressure to build up and then do something else, better safe than sorry.

hope all this helps and is not as clear as mud.

John.
                      Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

• likatiger
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks John,

That explains it very well, even for a non mechanic/tech person like me, I now understand more about what the system is doing so thank you.

It sounds a pretty good system and no, I would never tamper with it, in fact I don't tamper with anything thats working as it should be, leave well enough alone is my motto.

Cheers
                        Larry

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X