Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Auto question. Probably been done but I cannot find it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Auto question. Probably been done but I cannot find it.

G'day guys
    Simple question. I read a lot about the auto unlocking very early ever with a touch on the
    accelerator.
    Question is can you put in a simple switch to keep the auto locked?

ATM I have nailed it down to 2 PJ's. 2004 GLX's one auto one manual.
    Both have 120000km's on them and drive like new. The auto has a colour coded
    ARB winch bar.

I like the auto but we will be towing a 1.6 ton caravan and am wondering if the
    auto is up to it.

Any info greatly appreciated

Goodsy
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

Goodsy, I don't think you say whether you're looking at petrol or diesel, though I don't suppose it makes a lot of difference. I tow a 1 tonne CT with an auto diesel NP. I find that the torgue converter will not hold lock up in top gear at 100kph unless conditions are favourable, eg. tail wind. Towing a caravan of that weight I would suggest that you'll only achieve lockup while going downhill. Some people worry about this and pull it back into 4th gear (in manual mode) and tow at 95 kph; others just leave it in auto mode and let the auto do it's thing. The Invecs transmission has a good rep, but some have talked about fitting a larger trans fluid coolers. I don't know if there's a way to force lockup in top gear. Cheers.
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

Thanks for your reply. Both are 3.8's. I love the auto but it seems that on this
      forum problems are constantly popping up. But also a few here have had there
      manual box rebuilt at around the 200k mark. Not many K's. My TD Hilux has 220k's on it
      and the box is as new. This also towed the van around oz for 2 years.
      Btw I'm not an old fart. We just decided to travel while we were in limbo. 8)

The auto will get an after market cooler to cover all bases.

As I said I love the auto box. Maybe I'm looking to hard for faults.

What is the manual box out of? Is it the same as the NL's?
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Zed
        • Jun 2008
        • Hunter Valley

Tow in 4th in the auto and there wont be any problem with the torque converter unlocking

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

The auto already has a pretty good cooler.
          The unlock issue seems to be more of a problem with the diesels.
          When I tow I use maual mode when in hilly terrrain and only use drive when the going is easy. No problems with TC lockup so far.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• sprintman
            Valued Member
            • May 2010

NM/NP require torque converter change to tow heavy loads like you intend to. No big deal really.

High performing heavy duty torque converter for powerful engines and automatic transmission configurations for Nissan Patrol, Toyota and many more. ENQUIRE NOW

Comment

• mrbitchi
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by sprintman View Post
              NM/NP require torque converter change to tow heavy loads like you intend to. No big deal really.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=38412
              Since when???
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Ian Johnston
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Mount Gambier, SA

Sounds like a sales pitch to me I am sure Mitso wouldnt build a vehicle knowing it wasnt going to do its intended job.
                2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• Patagonia
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

I have an NL and the manual says to disconnect Over drive when towing, tihs would be using 4th on the NS. This is common in many AT´s despite the brand and is intended to keep oil cooler and give longer life to the trans. I guess it might even use less fuel as you have no torque difference in/out of the TC.

regards
                  Last edited by Patagonia; 01-02-11, 01:51 PM.
                  2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                  Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                  31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                  2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• wisey
                    • Oct 2007
                    • Trangie NSW

I have towed a 1.6t caravan about 10000km with a DiD auto. I use 4th gear when doing less than 95Km/hr. Have not had any auto problems. The car has done 320000Km. The car has an aux. cooler. Quite happy with a relaxed drive with the 'van in tow.
                    Cheers

Comment

• C&S Evo7
                      • Apr 2010

my mate here in the UK regularly tows a 2.8 ton race trailer with a LWB DiD on round trips of 4-600 miles about 10 times a year, he doesnt even tow in 4wd and has never had a problem with the trans, it has ome suspension and has been around the world (it was used by a TV show as a support vehilce before hehad it) and generally abused, it is showing 120K miles and is regularly serviced. i wiouldnt worry with a 1.6 ton caravan, its well within the towing capacity.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X